Intel Pentium 4 Extreme Edition 3.73GHz Review

Discussion in 'Beyond3D Articles' started by Dave Baumann, Feb 20, 2005.

1. RussSchultz

RussSchultz Professional Malcontent
    Veteran

-18, according to astronomers.

2. Anonymous

Veteran

another point of interest:
    the video decoding cpu utilization dvd mpeg 2 test.

Im a bit puzzled by the p4EE faster than whatever table... Using percentages to describe how much better percentage-wise one percentage of usage is compared to another percentage is a bit silly, especially with such low utilization levels.

Let's imagine for example a situation where one processor had 0.01 % utilization and another had 1% utilization. You wouldn't notice the difference in any ways, both processors would be doing a fantastic job. Yet there, the other would be like 10000% faster :)

3. Mendel

Mendel Mr. Upgrade
    Veteran

I really need to put automatic logon back on though :oops:

4. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

The one with the lower utilisation will be using less power and with the power saving schemes this may be able to step down more. With an MCE/HTPC box you'll also have MPEG streams encoding and decoding simultaneously (in fact, at any one point its easy to get two streams encoding and one decoding) and you'll probably want to know what type of CPU's can handle these workloads better.

5. Anonymous

Veteran

I thought that you'd usually used hardware encoding when talking about MCE/HTPC boxes. I think they did an experiment with MythTV where they had 5 TV cards (Hauppage PVR 350 if i remember it correctly) and recorded 5 channels simultaneously and it used 6% CPU or something like that.

6. marco

Regular

Did you try Windows MCE... and look at the load?
    MythTV specs are somewhat different as the MCE ...

7. WaltC

Veteran

BelleVue Sanatorium, Billary, NY. Patient privile
    Yes--it's ultimately up to the reviewer to know whether things in a comparison are as equal as they can be...;)

I think it's a sort of odd comment for another reason. I'm quite satisfied with my MSI K8N Neo2P at the moment--an nf3U board--and my ram has no difficulty running at the default 1t rate when the bios is set to autoconfig (2-2-2-5 1T is the autoconfig result.) So basically, it isn't *only* the nf4 that offers that sort of configurability, in other words...;)

8. WaltC

Veteran

BelleVue Sanatorium, Billary, NY. Patient privile
    Yes--woe betides the P4 forced to run other-than-heavily-optimized-P4 code in a comparison with Athlon...;)

What I'd like to see, though, one day, is those same synthetic benches heavily optimized/compiled for a k8 environment as well--and *then* a comparison run between them (Have sort of given up on that, though...at this point in time.)

9. marco

Regular

Yes that would be a nice thing to see, K8 optimized benchies. If you look at what AMD is delivering since the introduction of the Athlon... I have to say that the current AMD 64 3500 Winchester core, has to be the best chip on the market. I have the older AMD64 3000 (and an AMD XP2500 and some more) and the new Winchester. The new one is running already (without any special configurations) 220MHz above spec. With some voltage tweaking I suspect it will go much further. This I never managed with the other chips.