Intel Medfield in Nokia N9 unveiled in February MWC?

• Thread starter Deleted member 13524
  • Start date
The Z500+Poulsbo were launched in mid-2008. By then, the driver performance was terrible.
Almost 3 years later, the drivers are still bad and neither Intel, Tungsten or IMG did nothing about it.

What makes you think that will change for the next iteration?

There's already proof of a gigantic change to the better in my former post. Watch the video it's an Intel platform with a 535@400MHz; you don't get such an increase just from twice the frequency. Else see also Exophase's answer.

Exophase,

I'm not 100% sure but I think Tungsten was dropped quite some time ago. No idea though where drivers come from nowadays.

Looks like Intel is fed up with their low power tech being slammed by ARM.

Video of Intel VP showing the small size of medfield
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv45xll5iBw&feature=player_embedded

and saying....

"message to Warren East, it is possible to get Intel Arch into a phone, and ship it
at a faster performance than he can deliver, and at a lower level of power than what he
can deliver....you can put that in print"

thats what I call fightin' talk. (leaving aside that Arm don't actually deliver chips)

of course intels problem now is if they do have a competitive platform, who's gonna use it ?
unless long term WinTel V2.0 is possible. Would suit Microsoft to seriously challenge Google,
andof course suits Intel to challenge Arm.

Intel said:
"message to Warren East, it is possible to get Intel Arch into a phone, and ship it
at a faster performance than he can deliver, and at a lower level of power than what he
can deliver....you can put that in print"
Sure thing
:cool:

I love it when fighting quotes come out of tech giants. :yes:

Well, it's Intel's own fault that Atom is easily slammable.
It's what you get for practically ignoring the architecture for 3 years?

Well, it's Intel's own fault that Atom is easily slammable.
It's what you get for practically ignoring the architecture for 3 years?

Agreed, Atom has been practically the same architecture(and on the same process) since 2008! They really need a new architecture to compete in the netbook space, Bobcat is far better.

As for SoC's, i'd be more interested in the 22nm SoC that should debut next year. With competing 20 nm tech not slated to be ready till H2 2013, Intel will have a huge process advantage.

Intel could do some stuff with Series 6 in their fabs that would make people not care too much about how Atom compares to ARM. Hopefully, they're on top of that.

Back