Intel in new lawsuit

Discussion in 'Graphics and Semiconductor Industry' started by DJ12, Nov 4, 2009.

1. DJ12

Veteran

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8343179.stm

I have nothing against Intel but the thought of the big dog getting put in it's place always garners my interest and it seems from the article that they have rock solid proof of what Intel have been doing.

Should be interesting viewing.

2. 3dilettante

Legend Alpha

I suppose it could be coincidental that the suit was filed by the same state that is the site of AMD's or rather GF's new fabs.

I think it more realistic that this would make the state much more amenable than it would otherwise be.

#2 3dilettante, Nov 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2009
  3. fellix

fellix Hey, You!
    Veteran

Following comment on the matter from this report:

4. Jaaanosik

Newcomer

Didn't Intel lose some email backups 'by accident' at the time?
    I guess everybody knows they are not clean. The question is how much it's going to cost them by the time all the lawsuits are done.

5. rpg.314

Veteran

I suppose all the dirty linen that will be washed in the courtroom as a result of this lawsuit will be called in as evidence in AMD's separate antitrust case as well. More than the fines, the kind of restrictions are placed (or not placed) on intel will be more interesting to see.

6. Jaaanosik

Newcomer

$1.5B (EU) + $1.25B (AMD) + ?? (NY) + ?? (how many states?) :)

7. Rufus

Newcomer

"A.M.D. said it would withdraw all regulatory complaints worldwide."

Without AMD's complaints the state and federal cases fall apart. Basically AMD made all anti-trust cases go away and pocketed the money themselves instead of letting various governments get the fine money.

8. itsmydamnation

Veteran Regular

how so, they can still force AMD to take "the stand" . I guess it also depends if they are going after intel because of damage done to consumers or to compeditors. if consumers then what happened today shouldn't make any difference.

9. FrameBuffer

Banned

Exactly, particularly the NY AG who is known as a ferocious attack dog when he sets his target,. most likely even if AMD does withdraw, it's up to the state's attorney general to decide to pursue the case any further and given he's gone this far I have no doubt he has any issue issuing subpoenas to AMD and Intel alike along with any OEMs to bolster the case, if anything it actually strengthens the NY case as Intel had a LOT to lose and settlement was an easier out the going 6-0 in Anti-trust cases and possibly losing access to x86-64 (good bye Core-iSeries) along with other numerous cross patent agreements that would in effect prohibit Intel from making any claims against AMD for it's use of x86 and total disable Intels ability to sell any Core and up CPUs.

10. rpg.314

Veteran

Nah, FTC investigations and NYAG's lawsuit stands. It'll continue.