Intel goes extreme with its dual-core mobile offerings

B3D News

Beyond3D News
Regular
A year after the introduction of its successful Core processors line, Intel announced today the availability of a new high-end mobile CPU, the Core 2 Extreme X7800 mobile. Following the nomenclature established for Intel's bleeding edge desktop processors, this new mobile dual-core runs at 2.6 GHz, has 4MB of L2 cache and does not feature any bus ratio lock, which should cause rejoicing amongst the fans of overclocking out there.

Read the full news item

I'm not sure how excited I am about this. I mean, I guess if you want to overclock your laptop with whatever paltry cooling it comes with, then more power to you. I'd be more interested in underclocking to save battery life, but since all the Pentium-M variants since the original Banias are downwardly-unlocked, what other gain is there?

Maybe if they gave us the ability to turn the voltage down below 0.950 I'd be more excited. I know that the C2D in my Dell will do the 6x thru 10x multipliers at the 0.950 (lowest) voltage setting without issue; I'd love to get some 0.750 loving in there like the Pentium-M generation, or even better, something lower like 0.500 if it would work.

The Pentium-M Banias 1.7Ghz in my older Thinkpad R50 would do 6x thru 8x multipliers on the 0.750v setting. I want less voltage :(

Back