Intel ARC GPUs, Xe Architecture for dGPUs [2018-2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So its not great but the 770 should still be decent though right? Like competitive with a 3070 thats pretty solid honestly

With the current state of drivers it is highly likely that the only s/w it will be competitive with 3070 in will be 3DMark.
I'd lower my expectations for actual gaming performance, at least one step down.
Yikes well hopefully it'll be priced competitively

The Intel cards probably needed to launch early this year. The window is closing. It's like when Matrox launched the Parhelia which was expensive, buggy and barely competitive and then Radeon 9700 Pro arrived like two months later and brought world peace, made life be in color, etc hehe. ;)

Last edited:
Its never been easy to enter the (dedicated/gaming) GPU or CPU market and try to compete with the juggernauts. Probably harder now than 20+ years ago. Sony/IBM tried with the Cell, which turned out much less capable than what existed, Matrox tried it with their GPUs over two decades ago. Google with its Tensor CPU isnt really beating its competitors. It took Apple over a decade with their resources to come with their mobile arm chips that compete this well.
While intel sure has capabilities resource and engineering team wise, its not going to be a smooth ride from the start. But i could see them getting better at the lower-end market and possible mid-end in the future.

Intel Arc A380 reviews:

DE-Germany_videocardz.png
ComputerBaseGUNNIR Arc A380 Photon OC
CN-China_videocardz.png
EJ HardwareGUNNIR Arc A380 Photon OC
CN-China_videocardz.png
ExpreviewGUNNIR Arc A380 Photon OC
US-United-States_videocardz.png
GamersNexusGUNNIR Arc A380 Photon OC
GolemGUNNIR Arc A380 Photon OC
igor’sLABGUNNIR Arc A380 Photon OC
CN-China_videocardz.png
ITHomeGUNNIR Arc A380 Photon OC
CN-China_videocardz.png
MyDriversGUNNIR Arc A380 Photon OC
ES-Spain_videocardz.png
Professional ReviewGUNNIR Arc A380 Photon OC
RU-Russian-Federation_videocardz.png
PRO Hi-TechGUNNIR Arc A380 Photon OC
CN-China_videocardz.png
阿狸才不是受GUNNIR Arc A380 Photon OC
CN-China_videocardz.png
远古时代装机猿GUNNIR Arc A380 Photon OC
CN-China_videocardz.png
远古时代装机猿GUNNIR Arc A380 Photon OC
CN-China_videocardz.png
硬件茶谈GUNNIR Arc A380 Photon OC

Thanks to VideocardZ!

Its never been easy to enter the (dedicated/gaming) GPU or CPU market and try to compete with the juggernauts. Probably harder now than 20+ years ago. Sony/IBM tried with the Cell, which turned out much less capable than what existed, Matrox tried it with their GPUs over two decades ago. Google with its Tensor CPU isnt really beating its competitors. It took Apple over a decade with their resources to come with their mobile arm chips that compete this well.
While intel sure has capabilities resource and engineering team wise, its not going to be a smooth ride from the start. But i could see them getting better at the lower-end market and possible mid-end in the future.
While I mostly agree with you, I have 2 huge problems with current Intel Arc drivers:
1- it's killing Intel solid reputation of trouble free products to an abysmal hole that it won't be easy to come out from. When you see how long the poor ATI/AMD drivers story plagued their sales, it doesn't inspire me confidence for the near/mid term Intel future
2- Raja is at Intel since 2017, nearly 5 years now. When you see the state of the drivers, it's like they started to work on it few months ago! i checked quickly 5 reviews and reported bugs are all different abd all over the place... Do you really believe that they will be in a good shape in 18 months for Battlemage? I think that 2 years won't be enough to clean the code and get a satisfying end user experience. The task is immense abd Intel seems to move very slowly.
I guess the problem is much more serious than expected and their software team will live some stressful coming months...

While I mostly agree with you, I have 2 huge problems with current Intel Arc drivers:
1- it's killing Intel solid reputation of trouble free products to an abysmal hole that it won't be easy to come out from. When you see how long the poor ATI/AMD drivers story plagued their sales, it doesn't inspire me confidence for the near/mid term Intel future
2- Raja is at Intel since 2017, nearly 5 years now. When you see the state of the drivers, it's like they started to work on it few months ago! i checked quickly 5 reviews and reported bugs are all different abd all over the place... Do you really believe that they will be in a good shape in 18 months for Battlemage? I think that 2 years won't be enough to clean the code and get a satisfying end user experience. The task is immense abd Intel seems to move very slowly.
I guess the problem is much more serious than expected and their software team will live some stressful coming months...

Yea things arent looking all that great. I was imagining Intel making a better entrance to the dedicated GPU gaming market, with in mind Intel has been in the iGPU market since forever (and the driver side of it). Their not really scaring the competition to say the least with this. Software accompanying the hardware is atleast as important as the products themselfs, so yes, they got some stressful months if not years ahead. Also i was under the impression Intel has/had some truly competent engineering teams under its belt, i expected somewhat better results.

Raja got things rolling, but he isn't personally leading Xe or anything like that, haven't been for a while, he's at the top ladders of whole AGX which includes all supercomputer stuff too

To summarize: numerous game crashes, unlimited graphical bugs during gameplay, bad frame pacing in half of the supported games, and DX11/DX10/DX9 support is a no go, as performance drops badly in most of their titles.

Gaming with Intel's Arc A380, even with the latest driver, is like living in the middle of a minefield - mind you, playing while drunk. There is no other way to describe the past working days with the Arc A380. You don't even know where to start. In its current state, it is completely incomprehensible how a large and reputable company like Intel can sell such a product to even a single customer.

And the diagrams then quickly show that the Arc A380 has massive problems with the time intervals of the images in more than just a few games and games are then simply unplayable despite sufficient FPS

The worst-case scenario, for example, is The Witcher 3, which you shouldn't even try on an Arc A380 at the moment. So while it generally doesn't have good framepacing, the A380 definitely makes it a disaster

I'll just leave these here:

Two to three years of driver hell should be expected, in my opinion.

In my opinion the problem is going to be variability at the supposed performance level. No one really cares if an IGP in a particular game is terrible, so Intel's IGP track-record is mostly an unknown. Intel can get away with poor performance in IGP because the PC enthusiast crowd (forums, "journalists") doesn't really care.

That's over a year old. This is very recent:

Some nice improvements there over 14 months or so. And then there's the Shadow of the Tomb Raider epic fail.

Has anyone managed to find a review where they test ray tracing performance n the A380?

I've seen loads of reviews but can't find any where they specifically test RT performance.

Has anyone managed to find a review where they test ray tracing performance n the A380?

I've seen loads of reviews but can't find any where they specifically test RT performance.
Performance loss is smaller than on AMD in same performance category, NVIDIA doesn't have RT to compare in that bracket.

Performance loss is smaller than on AMD in same performance category, NVIDIA doesn't have RT to compare in that bracket.
Not having same bracket doesn't mean we cannot say the performance loss from enabling RT is right in the middle between RDNA2 and Ampere.

Not having same bracket doesn't mean we cannot say the performance loss from enabling RT is right in the middle between RDNA2 and Ampere.
Not really, without comparison point in similar bracket we can't be sure it's more than NVIDIA would lose.

Latest beta driver seems to be much more stable.

On the plus side, Intel Arc A380 has full support for hardware-accelerated ray tracing. I ran our whole battery of tests and can confirm that ray tracing works flawlessly on the A380 too. I couldn't spot any rendering errors, crashes, or any other issues. What's also worth mentioning is that the performance loss is much smaller compared to the AMD platform since Intel executes more operations in its hardware units. Compared to NVIDIA's 2nd gen Ampere architecture, the performance hit a little bit bigger but still surprisingly close. Still, ray tracing is an irrelevant feature on an entry-level card such as the A380 (and all direct competitors), because the overall performance is simply too low—no reason to enable RT when you're struggling to reach 60 FPS at lowest details. It's still an interesting data point with promising results that bodes well for the architecture though, because Intel will be releasing higher-end graphics cards very soon.

Has anyone tested this with Hitman 3's with ray tracing yet? The reason for interest here is that Hitman 3's RT mode was supposedly developed in mind and in collaboration with Intel.

Another point of interest would be testing it's performance hit from FSR 1/2.

Techpowerup review is in and they tested RT, on average the performance drop from enabling RT is lower than an RTX2060.

So RT implementation seems to be better than AMD's.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back