Intel 22nm 3-D Tri-Gate Transistor Technology

I'm a bit pessimistic at the moment (in general) will the monopoly be considered a monoploy when Windows 8 launch on ARM architectures?
OK Athlon X2 are not that bad but in the tests I (over)looked at a core I3 "something K" does as well as last AMD phenom and I supposed that the AVX units are still mostly untouched. A single core SnB may be a match for the X2 (and also run around any ARM CPU in use now qr to be released soon), now add this new process and I can't help but think that the situation is worse as ever for AMD. If Intel were to get rid of the competition (AMD) (say they feel secure in regard to anti trust law with the release of Windows8) even bobcats doesn't stand much of a chance, Intel "almost" has to release low clocked single core variants of Ivy bridge.

Last edited by a moderator:
How will AMD survive this, seriously?
The last core i3 xxxK are already doing as well in most case as their new phenom X4 980BE, while power consumption is not in the same ballpark... at all. From what we heard about Bulldozer... It's not good at all.

EDIT

Do you think that this news and this technology advancement may have an impact on the timeline Intel set (internally at least) for its larrabee project for example?

amd is finally droping their micron size , the phenom II is 42nm while sandy bridge is 32nm . Bulldozer is 32nm I believe

They are also adding some other stuff to the process which i wont begin to pretend to understand but should bring performance increases.

I also don't see why amd can't intergrate this into future road maps , does intel have a patent on this ?

I heard other founders plan to implement finfet @14nm at best. Given the growing gap between Intel vs the world it's years away.

Again: if Intel's process superiority didn't sink AMD during the last 5 years, it won't be now with all the Fusion products in short-term release that it'll happen.

Now, I'm even more convinced that ATI's acquisition was AMD's only hope of survival 6 years ago.

Indeed the valid point mentioned here is that GF will have its first HKMG process with 32 nm, which should provide more than a full node shrink.

Will see soon enough how good that is

Again: if Intel's process superiority didn't sink AMD during the last 5 years, it won't be now with all the Fusion products in short-term release that it'll happen.

Now, I'm even more convinced that ATI's acquisition was AMD's only hope of survival 6 years ago.
Let say AMD bought sometime, but think about it INtel ships currently under clocked part, disable turbo on the corei3, etc. An I3 with turbo mode would kill the phenom X4 in every way from power consumption to perfs. Intel doesn't want to take AMD down for legal reasons.
But that's for now say monopolis on X86 in the gran scheme of no longer qualify as a monopolis things could change. Actually think forward and now that a lot of AMD debt has been moved to another entity it could make sense for Intel to buy AMD, that would allow USA to keep a critical expertise to fall into foreigners hands.

Back