Installing a new processor

Dresden

Celebrating Mediocrity
Veteran
Hi-

I'm in the process of upgrading my current rig. Seriously upgrading. I came to thinking today that maybe i should invest in a completely new processor. I am currently running a P4 1.9 Ghz and was wondering if i could upgrade to a 3.0 Ghz. I checked my motherboard manual to see if there would be any compatibility issues, but it doesn't APPEAR there would be. It just says it supports p4 processors socket 478. Is this a possible upgrade? I'm at school as i type this but i can reply later with the exact model of my motherboard if that helps at all. It's an ABIT but I'm not completely sure what model. Would that information even come in handy? Is this possible?

Thanks fellas-

Norton

Jim Norton said:
Hi-

I'm in the process of upgrading my current rig. Seriously upgrading. I came to thinking today that maybe i should invest in a completely new processor. I am currently running a P4 1.9 Ghz and was wondering if i could upgrade to a 3.0 Ghz. I checked my motherboard manual to see if there would be any compatibility issues, but it doesn't APPEAR there would be. It just says it supports p4 processors socket 478. Is this a possible upgrade? I'm at school as i type this but i can reply later with the exact model of my motherboard if that helps at all. It's an ABIT but I'm not completely sure what model. Would that information even come in handy? Is this possible?

Thanks fellas-

Norton

the socket may be 478 but you have to ensure that the motherboard supports an fsb of 800mhz (200mhz qdr) amongst other things...

knowing the model number would help immensly... a lot of times manufacturers have it written somewhere between the pci slots... have a look see if you can find the mobo model and revision number and we can look it up for you and find out what it can support...

Interesting. I have the manual at home an i will check it later and reply with the exact make, but this IS possible? What is everything i need to know, aside from what you've already provided, for it to be compatible? I can check it all out when i return back home.

Wait I'm PRETTY sure this is the motherboard.

ABIT P4 Motherboard TH7II-RAID
Intel 850 Pentium® 4 Socket 478 FSB 400MHz Rambus ATX Mainboard (2 x ATA33/66/100, 2 x ATA RAID, AGP 4X, 4 x Direct Rambus RIMM, 5 x PCI, 1 x CNR slot, & 10/100 LAN).

I'll double check when i get home. If it's not compatible should i just buy a new motherboard?

*EDIT* It's not looking to good. Looks like i need a new motherboard. But nothing seems to support RDRAM anymore. Is DDR faster? It's no big deal. I could transfer over to DDR and sell my RD.

Jim Norton said:
Wait I'm PRETTY sure this is the motherboard.

ABIT P4 Motherboard TH7II-RAID
Intel 850 Pentium® 4 Socket 478 FSB 400MHz Rambus ATX Mainboard (2 x ATA33/66/100, 2 x ATA RAID, AGP 4X, 4 x Direct Rambus RIMM, 5 x PCI, 1 x CNR slot, & 10/100 LAN).

I'll double check when i get home. If it's not compatible should i just buy a new motherboard?

*EDIT* It's not looking to good. Looks like i need a new motherboard. But nothing seems to support RDRAM anymore. Is DDR faster? It's no big deal. I could transfer over to DDR and sell my RD.

there are some cheaper boards out there that will allow you to use a p4 3.0c or e processor...

newegg has a bunch you can look through...

Maybe you can but old 400FSB PIV's and OC them to 3 ghz on this board - so you get fast cheaply... I am not sure but it might be worth a try, as those 850 mobos were top of the range long time ago.

Back