Installed games still running from disc on xbox360 ?

Barso

Newcomer
I had to exchange my 360S due to a fault. The shop assistant let me keep the HDD because I had over 14 games installed and I didn't want to have to reinstall the discs again but when I try to play the games on my new 360S with the original 360S HDD, the games are still running from the disc drive and not the HDD. I am having to delete the game and reinstall.
Is there anyway around this?

I had to exchange my 360S due to a fault. The shop assistant let me keep the HDD because I had over 14 games installed and I didn't want to have to reinstall the discs again but when I try to play the games on my new 360S with the original 360S HDD, the games are still running from the disc drive and not the HDD. I am having to delete the game and reinstall.
Is there anyway around this?

You probably have to do a licence transfer or something. Have you done that? It's really simple and easy to do. I'll see if I can find the link.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Support/LicenseMigration/Home

Yeah, I think you need to reinstall for them to be recognized...

It'd be nice if you could mail your games back to MS and they'd send you a code to download them and run them from disc permanently. Probably too much administration costs for that.

If you need the disc in the drive to play them anyway, why are they tied to a particular console? If someone were to sell HDDs with copies of games installed, it'd be useless without actual game discs, so the limitation seems useless as a security feature. Only if the whole drive contents are encrypted, like PS3, does it make sense to have to reinstall, as the whole drive rather than particular contents is locked to a machine to prevent illicit copies.

If you need the disc in the drive to play them anyway, why are they tied to a particular console? If someone were to sell HDDs with copies of games installed, it'd be useless without actual game discs, so the limitation seems useless as a security feature. Only if the whole drive contents are encrypted, like PS3, does it make sense to have to reinstall, as the whole drive rather than particular contents is locked to a machine to prevent illicit copies.

I agree.

Along the same lines, I don't understand why MS does not allow us to install multi-disc games and just play off of say disc 1. IIRC both Bioware and MercurySteam tried to implement this feature for ME2 and Castlevania but MS stopped or denied it. It makes no sense to me. If I were to install disc one and two of ME2 and the game required I played through the entire game on disc 1, loaning out the game to a friend would do no good, so it's not like a loss in sales would be a problem.

So I don't understand what risk there is to allowing this feature as it would be a good way to help make the experience as close as possible to the PS3 counterparts (no disc swap needed).

Have been thinking of making a thread about this but wasn't sure if it's worth it.

I'm all for the trading in physical media for GOD (Games on Demand) / DLC. I so dislike having to swap out the DVD to play a different game or even have to swap DVDs just so it can verify the Security Sectors and AP2.5 challenge-response pairs are correct.

Back