Inquirerer: nV50 cancelled as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
I just posted this up at EB, but wanted to post it here too as I figured someone might know something.

digitalwanderer said:
The Inquirerer has a new story up stating that the nV50 is cancelled in addition to the nV48:

The Inquirererer said:
WE ARE told that Nvidia's next gen chip NV50 has been canned as well as the NV48 chip we reported on earlier in the week. I guess both were not fitting well into Nvidia's picture.

We don’t have any idea as yet what lead to such a decision, but Nvidia does apparently think it's now time to make its next breakthrough chip.

I found this posted up by Zeke over at nVidia's new forums.

Dunno why they'd do such a thing really. Very few people will actually be able to use SLI, and they know this. It's not a replacement for a new generation product, and they know this too. I'm sceptical in the extreme, I don't believe they cancelled. I won't believe it until I read it straight from the horse's mouth. :p

BUT: is this the original NV50 plan as in 2002? Or was that NV50 renamed NV60? If that's the case - and I find it likely - it would simply mean that NVIDIA considers the "new (now canned)" NV50 not to be sufficient against the "real" R500, formely R400. So perhaps this is an UNcanning...
But gosh, can't they fricking keep their acronyms for a while?!

This doesn't make much sense though. So basically they cancelled all their products for the next 365 days? Their short-term refresh AND their next-generation part? If it was true, it'd indicate NVIDIA had backup plans. Or that they did this quite a while ago, but we didn't know about it. Both scenarios seem extremely unlikely.

Uttar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back