Injustice 2

London Geezer

Legend
Supporter
Anyone got this yet?

I just started it and WOW it looks great. The character models and the lighting are beautiful.

On top of that, this is the first game I've seen with a proper HDR calibration so that you can adjust according to your TVs peak brightness capability, in nits. I set mine at 1600 I think and it looks insane.

It will take me a while to get the combat right but it already feels much better than the first one.

Any DC geek must buy this.

Last edited:
On top of that, this is the first game with a proper HDR calibration so that you can adjust according to your TVs peak brightness capability.

Resident Evil 7 and GTSport beta also have this.

The only thing that this slider does is to determine who will do the tonemapping - the game engine or TV. Since the content is mixed for 4000 - 10,000 nits, the slider the determines the maximum light output that the game engine will output to the HDMI cable. If you have good TV, it will be able to manage tonemapping just fine.

It looks amazing in stills and during the many, many gorgeous cut-scenes, but the actual fighting animations are still just as bloody awful as they've always been in Netherealm games. I wonder whether this is a deliberate attempt to keep the spastic style of the old MK games, or if the animators really are clueless when it comes to basic animation concepts like good key poses, center of mass, leading with your core, and so on. If you you lead with your limbs instead, not only are you going to look a nerd in your first fist fight, you're also more likely to hurt yourself than the other guy.

It looks amazing in stills and during the many, many gorgeous cut-scenes, but the actual fighting animations are still just as bloody awful as they've always been in Netherealm games. I wonder whether this is a deliberate attempt to keep the spastic style of the old MK games, or if the animators really are clueless when it comes to basic animation concepts like good key poses, center of mass, leading with your core, and so on. If you you lead with your limbs instead, not only are you going to look a nerd in your first fist fight, you're also more likely to hurt yourself than the other guy.

That's true, but in their defence... perhaps I don't play as many fighters as I used to, but each fighting game (SF, Tekken, MK to name a few off the top of my head) has a very different style and each of them plays differently. I liked that. Wouldn't it be boring if every fighting game played the same? :)

At least this one is much, much better than what I can remember playing in the last Injustice or even MK. Faster, more intuitive, and I've only just started. I can definitely see why it's getting such great reviews: it really shows how much work went into the project and that the devs really wanted to make a better game than the first. They could easily have rehashed the first game, put in a new story mode and go on holiday.

I'm fine with different styles. It's just that when I look at a SFV match (heck, even a SFII match), a DOA match, a Tekken match or even something as over-the-top crazy as a Guilty Gear match, the animations just work. Punches and kicks look powerful, and the hit reactions from the opponents are just right as well. It's not really a Japan vs West thing either, because the KI guys also get these basics right.
This doesn't mean Injustice or MKX are bad games either. They just look plain wrong in motion to me. The nigh photo realistic visuals only compound the issue.

I also used to play loads of fighting games in the past. Unfortunately the bloody things are just way too time-consuming if you want to get at least halfway decent at any one of them.

Credit where credit is due, though. These characters look fucking amazing. Facial animations in particular are out-of-this- world good. By the way, are the cut-scenes real-time? They never were in the past.

Last edited:
Agreed. Also regarding the cutscenes, funny thing: at times they looks so much worse than the in-game graphics, it's hilarious. I guess they're the same badly encoded, low bitrate videos as in every version, but playing on the Pro at whatever resolution it's playing (I don't think it's anywhere near 4k but it's certainly not 1080p), the difference can be quite stark depending on the scene.

On the Pro it's a feast for the eyes, on a good HDR TV.

I guess they're the same badly encoded, low bitrate videos as in every version, ...

Hate it when they do that. On the flip side, prisitine cut-scenes really make file sizes balloon like crazy. Recently downloaded Darksiders Warmastered Edition and God of War 3 remastered (this game is still so unbelievably awesome). Both are lovely ports, but they are also rather smallish games with near 50 GB footprints each thanks to these bloody movies.

I'll probably still buy it, by the way. But then I got a code for Guilty Gear Revelator V2 a couple of days ago, and I've barely touched it so far. Also there's The Surge. life's hard, isn't it ;)

How's the story campaign, any good? It doesn't just finish in 5-6 hours does it? I'm not a huge competitive player by any means just in it for the look and cinematics:).

I hate that I am so horrible at these fighting games because this game looks so good and entertaining to see the various characters special moves and interactions.

I hate that I am so horrible at these fighting games because this game looks so good and entertaining to see the various characters special moves and interactions.

We can connect online and fight like shit against each other. I hate fighting games so you can beat me consistently.

How's the story campaign, any good? It doesn't just finish in 5-6 hours does it? I'm not a huge competitive player by any means just in it for the look and cinematics:).

The story is definitely not a 10 hour thing. More like 5 hours to do straight up (around 50 fights). Then you have to do some of the story fights with a different character, plus there's two endings. So in total 76 fights.

But, and I'd never though I say this, but the Destiny-like Multiverse mode is brilliant! You get specific missions and get loot for it. Lots of loot. Which change the look and stats of all the characters.

I'd give it a try.

And again, I'm ddeiana on PSN!

Back