#*&%ing Mozilla destroyed my life

ET

Regular
I just installed Mozilla 1.4.1 into the existing 1.4 directory, and it destroyed my profile which was in that directory. All my mails are gone!

Is there any way hope of some way to track these deleted files and restore them, or am I doomed to be a man without a past?

Erm. How did you get your profile data into the Mozilla 1.4 directory at first?
Usually the profiles are saved in a subdirectory of the current Windows User Profile (I only have a german WinXP - don't know the english directory names, should be something like "Documents and Settings->username->Application Settings->Mozilla->Profiles->weird id->voila).

You could try to create a new profile with the same name and provide the name of the existing profile directory as the dir which is to be used by the new profile. But backup first!

I've upgraded mozilla versions many times and it doesn't blow stuff up like that. I think you something went slightly buggered but you should be able to recover the information. THere might be some backup directory -- programs usually back up that sort of information.

well.. it may be to late for it, but next time you could use Mozilla Backup to restore it

btw: if you have Norton (or something similar) you could try the unerase program, maybe it can help

Yeah, my fault for getting them into that directory. I was used to it from my Netscape days, so thought it was a good idea to keep it that way. Also, the normal place for the profile is hard to migrate if changing users or reinstalling the OS.

Thanks for the Mozilla Backup link, although I'm simply planning to put the new profile in my normal data partition, so it should get backed up (not that I'm backing it up that regularly, but more often than other things).

Back