"Infinium Labs ready to haul HardOCP into court"

If these phantasm guys actually DO this, they're going to KILLED on like, the entire internet. Or at least the part of it hardware geeks read. Not a smart move...

(I foresee a new Penny Arcade strip being done about this Real Soon Now. :LOL:)

The only companies that have this kind of legal muscle are giants like Ford and GM. If they go forward with this lawsuit, it will just be a drain on their finances and it's not likely they could win much more than an apology anyway.

In what respect? They might be assholes, but I dont see anything libelous.

I hope the guys from [H] will get their day in court ... as witnesses for the plaintiff.

jvd said:
I don't see a problem . The article was out of line .

Out of line how?

All the info about the CEO is a matter of public records and can be easily identified, as should the stuff about the empty office address be, besides, there will be neighbors who can verify wether any activity actually took place there or not.

There is no need to talk about the ceo when talking about a console and having a look at what it can do . Listing past jobs and failures should not be in an article about the system. It was just hitting bellow the belt adn I don't think they should get away with it .

Uh, say what? Where in the articles of free speech does it say you can't mention a CEO's past failures in an article about a console COMPANY? ;) It wasn't actually an article about the console (as hardly anything concrete is known about it other than it will be PC-based and apparantly lack an optical drive), but about Infinum Labs and the viability about said company and its (so far vaporware) product.

I didn't see anything I considered below the belt, defamatory etc. If there had been, there would have been a reaction much sooner, not NOW, months and months later.

Guden Oden said:
Uh, say what? Where in the articles of free speech does it say you can't mention a CEO's past failures in an article about a console COMPANY? ;) It wasn't actually an article about the console (as hardly anything concrete is known about it other than it will be PC-based and apparantly lack an optical drive), but about Infinum Labs and the viability about said company and its (so far vaporware) product.

I didn't see anything I considered below the belt, defamatory etc. If there had been, there would have been a reaction much sooner, not NOW, months and months later.
welp I see it and so does the company . Hardocp may be big with us and well known doesn't mean people that run busniesses know about it .

jvd said:
welp I see it and so does the company . Hardocp may be big with us and well known doesn't mean people that run busniesses know about it .

Of course the "company" does because it paints them in a bad light. Does the track record of the CEO not matter? If the "facts" pointed out in the HardOCP editorial/expose are true, then what wrong was committed?

Bachus termed the story “false and defamatory,â€￾ and said the article, “Reached conclusions as a result of a very minimal amount of investigative reporting, which is intentionally designed to cast dispersions on the potential of the company and the intentions, most importantly, of Tim (Roberts) in creating the company.â€￾

Dispersions? How the heck does the meaning of that word fit into the context of what Bachus is trying to say. Did he mean ASpersions? He's the president of that company? Oy vey.

Ty said:
If the "facts" pointed out in the HardOCP editorial/expose are true, then what wrong was committed?

Well, that's quite the assumption there...if they are true or not. Infinium claims some things are "false" or "misinformation." If they go ahead with some legal action, I guess we'll find out what they are.

Given the circumstances it is not a huge assumption, on the one hand we have an article full of falsifieable evidence ... on the other a press conference and letters from lawyers with nothing but a "we will see you in court" message.

If they cared about the impact of the article they should have set the record straight, if there is nothing to set straight .... well

heh, after actually skimming through the article I can only find admiration for Kyles stance. (an unusual position for me to support.) Personally I am impressed that [H] did not cave in on threats of litigation. Kyle deserves some credit on this IMO for "sticking to his guns". Admirable indeed.. Kudos to [H].

EDIT: Maybe the heading of this thread ought to read "Infinium Labs is a mail-box?". Sorry couldn't resist.

Gosh.... They should try British press... These guys would have put the ceo's sexual habits in the article and THEN it would have gotten nasty ;)

Joe DeFuria said:
Ty said:
If the "facts" pointed out in the HardOCP editorial/expose are true, then what wrong was committed?

Well, that's quite the assumption there...if they are true or not. Infinium claims some things are "false" or "misinformation." If they go ahead with some legal action, I guess we'll find out what they are.

That's why I used the word, "If".

Back