incest: how far should the law go?

right / wrong / I don't care

• Absolutely, totally, wrong.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wrong if its with immediate family, aunt/uncle/cousin is okay.

• Incest is Best!

• Total voters

Sage

13 short of a dozen
Regular
I came accross a very unusual situation the other day and it got me thinking. Just how far should the law go in these situations (consentual incest)? Of course, if its an adult and a minor, it's very obvious that should be illegal, just as in any other case. But what about adult-adult and minor-minor (not that much can be done about that)?

There are so many opinionated people here, I thought I might get some interesting answers.

My friend and his second cousin just had a baby. But i consider aunts , uncles and what not imeditate family .

I voted that "incest is best." If many other forms of expression of sexuality can benefit from the sexual revolution (ie bisexuality/homosexuality) who am i to say incest shouldn't or that incest is wrong while other forms are not?

having children via incest i'd say, overall, is irresponsible and completely unfair to the child from a genetic respect.

Legion said:
having children via incest i'd say, overall, is irresponsible and completely unfair to the child from a genetic respect.
actually, recent (last few years) studies have shown that the chances of the offspring of first cousins having genetic defects is virtually the same as the offspring of two complete strangers. And I'm afraid I totally forgot where I read that...

Once you start doing that several generations, though, well, things can get kinda ugly. Just look at Prince Charles, :LOL:.

Clashman said:
Once you start doing that several generations, though, well, things can get kinda ugly. Just look at Prince Charles, :LOL:.
hell, some here to southern oklahoma and take a look around... very seriously, only a few years ago my dad had highschool students who had NEVER been out of the COUNTY. And EVERYONE can name at least 3 ways that they are related to EVERYONE else.... it's scary, I tell you, scary!

Yea, genetic defects are highly uncommon, almost traceless relative to the norm for first cousins. Amongst brother and sister, still very low.

The problem is over a period of time, continued incestual behaviour in families doesn't benefit from the same forms of disease resistance that regular offspring do. You can see this in some aristrocracies in Europe, where they often had a higher than average mortality rate, even compared to serfs who were living in far worse conditions.

In communities where there is a violent plague or somesuch, this can be reversed. For instance, a family that benefits from an immunity to the disease, will be more successful for the duration of the plague if they 'keep it in the family' so to speak.

I find it disturbing, but well to each their own. Government shouldn't interfere in peoples lives.

Sage said:
Legion said:
actually, recent (last few years) studies have shown that the chances of the offspring of first cousins having genetic defects is virtually the same as the offspring of two complete strangers. And I'm afraid I totally forgot where I read that...

i know. I wasn't disputing this fact. I am mainly refering to siblings.

...and on top of that, should there be a difference between sexual activities or doing so with the intention of producing offspring?

cthellis42 said:
...and on top of that, should there be a difference between sexual activities or doing so with the intention of producing offspring?

For homosexual relationship's sake i'd say yes.

ByteMe said:
Does that include farm animals?

why the hell not?

We certainly should look into the possibility that people are born with the genetic predisposition to be attracte to their mother, father, aunt, uncle or siblings.

How could we possibly exclude animals from categories of predisposition of sexual orientation?

Recently, science has turned up convincing evidence the animal world practices acts of necrophilia. This is just the beggining of society's realization and acceptance of the natural human behavior of having sex with the dead.

Clashman said:

i'd imagine after the fall of Rome incest would have been widely practiced do to the lack of genetic diversity.

I brought this discussion up before. The answer was 'yes'. Genetic defects will arise eventually.

I voted, 'incest is the best' because I was being silly. I don't really believe that. Incest makes me sick. :?

To keep it short,

Consent. Adult-Adult => do what the hell u want.

When children start gettin involved, then it should become (and fortunately IS) unlawful.

Personally, even the adult-adult thing makes me sick, but hey thats just me.

Hmm, definitely not the replies that I was expecting. This just goes to show that we are starting to open up and be more accepting of our sexuality in general. I guess that my expectations were somewhat influenced by the fast that I live in Fundy Baptist Town, USA...

Sage said:
Hmm, definitely not the replies that I was expecting. This just goes to show that we are starting to open up and be more accepting of our sexuality in general. I guess that my expectations were somewhat influenced by the fast that I live in Fundy Baptist Town, USA...

Is that the REAL name....? :LOL:

london-boy said:
Is that the REAL name....? :LOL:

well, no, not really, but I know lots of people who would actually like to change it to something along those lines.....

Back