In need of advice for what drivers should be installed first.

.Melchiah.

Regular
I was unfortunate enough to have my system infected by ANI worm. Now I'm about to format my system, and install everything from scratch again. I was wondering what's the correct order for installing the drivers?

Something like this perhaps, after XP has been installed?
-Motherboard drivers
-DirectX
-Display Drivers
-Sound card drivers

What about monitor drivers?

I was unfortunate enough to have my system infected by ANI worm. Now I'm about to format my system, and install everything from scratch again. I was wondering what's the correct order for installing the drivers?

-Motherboard drivers
-DirectX
-Display Drivers
-Sound card drivers

Looks good, motherboard drivers should always be installed first. After that you can install the latest version of DirectX to prevent display/soundcard retail drivers from installing older versions of directX than the latest released (saves you time). Then display drivers, monitor drivers and finally sound card drivers! :smile:

Looks good, motherboard drivers should always be installed first. After that you can install the latest version of DirectX to prevent display/soundcard retail drivers from installing older versions of directX than the latest released (saves you time). Then display drivers, monitor drivers and finally sound card drivers! :smile:

Thanks for the advice. I've already downloaded the latest VIA Hyperion drivers for the motherboard, the latest Catalyst drivers for the video card, but I'm not sure can I use the newest Audigy drivers for the soundcard as well (Audigy Platinum eX), or do I have to install the old retail drivers and then update them.

Thanks for the advice. I've already downloaded the latest VIA Hyperion drivers for the motherboard, the latest Catalyst drivers for the video card, but I'm not sure can I use the newest Audigy drivers for the soundcard as well (Audigy Platinum eX), or do I have to install the old retail drivers and then update them.

You should be able to install the latest ones without having to use the old ones.

SBAX_WBUP2_LB_2_09_0016.exe (latest version according to Creative site)

No need to preinstall older drivers/updates.
Requirements:

Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, Windows XP Service Pack 2, or Windows 2000 Service Pack 4
Audio devices listed above

-Motherboard drivers
-DirectX
-Display Drivers
-Sound card drivers

Remember to keep your computer unplugged from the 'net before you got some protection installed (SP2 firewall helps, but Windows Defender for example would help too and anti-virus wouldn't hurt either) ;)

But the order seems good to me, I don't think it matters when you install monitor drivers, at all.

You should be able to install the latest ones without having to use the old ones.

SBAX_WBUP2_LB_2_09_0016.exe (latest version according to Creative site)

No need to preinstall older drivers/updates.

Thanks. It's good to know I can go straight to the newest drivers. IIRC, there was some difficulties with the retail drivers during installation.

By the way, should I install all the XP patches before installing the display
& sound drivers?

Remember to keep your computer unplugged from the 'net before you got some protection installed (SP2 firewall helps, but Windows Defender for example would help too and anti-virus wouldn't hurt either) ;)

But the order seems good to me, I don't think it matters when you install monitor drivers, at all.

I've got XP SP2 on CD, and I've already downloaded F-secure Internet Security 2007 (although it failed to protect me against ANI worm, not to mention that it's a resource hog, perhaps I sould go for Avast! and ZoneAlarm?), PeerGuardian 2 and SpywareBlaster. It's always wise to think ahead. ;)

Thanks. It's good to know I can go straight to the newest drivers. IIRC, there was some difficulties with the retail drivers during installation.

By the way, should I install all the XP patches before installing the display
& sound drivers?

I have always patched my WinXP SP2 version after installing all drivers and protection. Works perfect but if you want you could update WinXP before by doing it through the last part of the installation.

Back