In Home Streaming

• Thread starter Deleted member 13524
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 13524

I'm assuming you don't have Kodi recording live TV from a tuner?

Nope, I became a cord-cutter the moment I knew Netflix was coming to my country. My HTPC is used for movie/music playback and couch-coop games.
As soon as In-Home Streaming supports surround sound, I may even sell the GTX 660 Ti in there and get it running with the Ivybridge graphics alone.

Nope, I became a cord-cutter the moment I knew Netflix was coming to my country. My HTPC is used for movie/music playback and couch-coop games.
As soon as In-Home Streaming supports surround sound, I may even sell the GTX 660 Ti in there and get it running with the Ivybridge graphics alone.
Interestingly I noticed that the latest updates for Nvidia streaming tech included full 5.1 support. I've happened to have shifted my household from AMD to Nvidia over the last year so with that change I'm looking into that for my living room instead of my current setup with Steam streaming to my HTPC. Unfortunately since Valve don't really communicate anything to the public, there's no indication of if/when surround support will come to the streaming client or even Steam link.

Interestingly I noticed that the latest updates for Nvidia streaming tech included full 5.1 support. I've happened to have shifted my household from AMD to Nvidia over the last year so with that change I'm looking into that for my living room instead of my current setup with Steam streaming to my HTPC. Unfortunately since Valve don't really communicate anything to the public, there's no indication of if/when surround support will come to the streaming client or even Steam link.

They haven't said when it's going to happen, but I have seen a post in the Steam forums from a certified Steam developer stating that surround sound is in their pipeline for in-home streaming.

Another thing that would be very interesting would be Android support for the In-Home Streaming functionality. There are quite a few solutions that support both vendors (Remotr, Kino Console, Splashtop...) but I found In-Home Streaming to be nearly flawless with any game from Steam or not (e.g. GoG and Origin installations).

They haven't said when it's going to happen, but I have seen a post in the Steam forums from a certified Steam developer stating that surround sound is in their pipeline for in-home streaming.

Another thing that would be very interesting would be Android support for the In-Home Streaming functionality. There are quite a few solutions that support both vendors (Remotr, Kino Console, Splashtop...) but I found In-Home Streaming to be nearly flawless with any game from Steam or not (e.g. GoG and Origin installations).
Great to hear, hopefully not too distant future. I do enjoy in-Home Streaming, which as you said works very well even with other non-steam games.

Great to hear, hopefully not too distant future. I do enjoy in-Home Streaming, which as you said works very well even with other non-steam games.

H0Tbzoc.png

Aww Yiss!!!

Omg I have to try this out later!! I can't believe it's available now! Alien Isolation here I come.

Both PC and HTPC updated but cannot Stream anymore. Game loads on the desktop but on the Client it returns immediately to Big Picture with a client error (2)

Another thing that broke in the latest Jan 11 beta was that my x360 controller stopped working in most games. Worked fine in Big Picture and in Trine. But Hand of Fate, Rogue Legacy, Witcher 3 and GTA V would not work whatsoever with the controller.

Reverted back to non-beta Steam and streaming + controller are fine. I'll give them awhile to fix these obvious bugs before I try beta again. Before this 5.1 update, I was always running beta though.

Loaded up Fallout 4 and Witcher 3, both streaming and 360 controller working fine here with beta. Maybe its been update since your post.

Jan 14

Edit: Something new, If you go into big picture mode, you can change the encoding hardware.

Last edited:
I tried the 5.1 sound yesterday from my desktop to my htpc and the resulting sound, although it was positional audio, had a weird echo effect all around.
So it's still not there, but it's closer :)

Back