Impressions on AceCombat 5 how was it?

As the topic say´s, the realese in Europe is in March(not 100% sure).
So all of you Ace lovers here that played it what´s your impression´s and try to keep it Spoilerfree..

Considering how many people were slagging off those screenshots when they made the rounds on this forum so many moons ago I thought someone would have kept track of when this game was released. But nobody cares at all anymore... :?:

I have it. and the Flight Stick too. it's all awesome. I'm enjoying AC5 quite a bit more than AC4. there are more missions, more radio chatter, more planes (F/A-18E Super Hornet and YF-23 Black Widow II) plus enemy has the B-1B Lancer once again, and the B-52. all of these planes were missing from AC4. the graphics, while not a huge leap from AC4, are a significant improvement. much better lighting. terrain looks better from high and low altitudes. there's more actual geometry on the ground, the trees look nice. you have to upgrade your planes through gaining experience. then you can buy a new model. you cannot re-arm with more weapons like AC4 though. the CG cinemas are very nice. overall i like this game more than AC4. I would buy it without hesitation.

How arcadey/simmy is it in the way it plays? Without a full keyboard there can't be a million button combinations to keep track of of course, but I expect a determined developer could get around that using all possible combinations of L/R1-3 buttons together with the face buttons. ;)

Megadrive i´ve heard that if your an Acefan you will love this one esp if you thought that Ace4 was awesome!
One question to you have you played with the swedish JAS39 Gripen anything in the game and how was it, balance of weapons etz?
Oh and i heard that the best plan is the "Falken", how does it compare to the Y22(?) in ACE4 and witch is the fastest plan? Is it still the Su or any other, that´s really intersting too know because there were some indication´s "rumours" that the Blackbird SR71 would be playable but that´s not the case from what i have read.
Btw strange that there seem´s too be relative few that love´s the Ace series when you consider how good the Ace4 was.. :?

Guden Oden wrote:
How arcadey/simmy is it in the way it plays? Without a full keyboard there can't be a million button combinations to keep track of of course, but I expect a determined developer could get around that using all possible combinations of L/R1-3 buttons together with the face buttons.

From what i read in review´s and so the control scheme is the exact from Ace4 /besides the wingman addition. On the date webhallen has this info
http://www.webhallen.com/prod.php?id=29398

The controls (and gameplay) in the Ace Combat series are 100% arcade style. Every DS2 buttton is used, but that's it. Basically you just steer, control the throttle and keep the trigger finger busy. The presentation and sound is second to none.

Personally I preferred the narrative in AC04 over AC5, but everything else is better in the new game.

VNZ said:
Personally I preferred the narrative in AC04 over AC5, but everything else is better in the new game.

That about sums up my thoughts on the matter as well. I absolutely adore AC5. There's something special about flying in the cockpit view combined with the great graphics. :oops:

Yeah the control is pretty much Arcadestyle Guden Oden but there is this thing with Ace that give it some sort of "pseudo" realism, hard too explain but i will try out on my Ace4 experience!
Gfx is superb, the engines beautiful jetbeam´s and the selfshadowing on the planes make them look almost reel.
Oh and the replay´s, i dont know how long you could sitt and just watch them over and over again. There´s much more to it than that but if you haven´t played Ace4 go and pick it up so you are ready too rumble when Ace5 comes. :D

The game is good, far better then AC4 but it isn’t the reality simulator that you'd find in the top of the line sims on the computer which themselves are a bit flawed...

The graphics are better then all before, you get nice moody weather effects, nice missile trails, the afterburners have been re-work and all look the planes have been worked on with things like heavier, more authentic textures, accurate moving parts, and what looks like more polygons... The feature I like best is the vapor effect when they break the sound barrier.

Just don’t expect realistic weapons load-out, realistic real world performance like time to altitude, actual altitude levels per jet, real world top speeds with weapon and fuel, and actual acceleration times...

All in all the game is a great addition to the sierse with a good story and great arcade style game play...

I wouldn't wanna go off-topic, but in reality, what do the real effects of breaking the sound barrier look like? I saw a picture (everyone must have seen it) of a plane engulfed by a ball/wave of what looks like vapour... I just don't know what it is and why it happens........... err..

overclocked said:
In that vid i think it´s strange the people photograph didn´t get injured they just stand there.. :rolleyes: :LOL:

Well that's what i thought, everyone should have been knowcked off their feet, the plane is far too close... mmmm... Still it looks cool, even if it's fake :devilish:

Well that's what i thought, everyone should have been knowcked off their feet, the plane is far too close... mmmm... Still it looks cool, even if it's fake

Yeah cool indeed.. So that´s what your hoping to do with Ace5 if it were possible, kill some civil´s that are taking photos of you going Mach1.. :devilish:
Btw how does it look in the game you that have it`?

london-boy said:
I wouldn't wanna go off-topic, but in reality, what do the real effects of breaking the sound barrier look like? I saw a picture (everyone must have seen it) of a plane engulfed by a ball/wave of what looks like vapour... I just don't know what it is and why it happens........... err..

They look somewhat how you see in the game... Other jets like F-14 and Mig-29 ect. with IRST and camera system and wing pylons have vapor forming on them as well as the wing... F/A-18 Hornet-Super Hornet, Flanker and so on has the vapor form more visibly then another fighter would in the same climate-temperature because of its emphasis on a lifting body design...

Basically the pilot won't hear silence but will notice a reduction in sound emissions from the sound wave buildup from the engines...

Anyhow, I'll post you a video from inside a cockpit of hopefully an F-16 in a few years.

Well that's what i thought, everyone should have been knowcked off their feet, the plane is far too close... mmmm... Still it looks cool, even if it's fake

Oh no, these kinds of things happen all the time in the carrier battle groups... They have flybys for all sorts of reasons and no one is ever injured except for eardrums and no one is ever physically hurt aside from what feels like a huge drum being beat ~1000 times a second right under you.
There are instances where the fighter/attacker will suffer malfunctions and rip apart during the transition from subsonic to super sonic in the case of an F-14 from VF-213 on September 20, 1995 that ripped apart shortly after buzzing the USS John Paul Jones at supersonic speeds, though, the pilot and WSO escaped.

Check out this photo of an F-4 Phantom II "BLACK BUNNY" from the NAVY test and evaluation squadron in the 70's hitting supersonic damn well under 100 ft

sound_break.jpg

Back