ImgTech Caustic R2500 Realtime Raytracing Accelerator

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by amitsinghnv, May 26, 2013.

1. amitsinghnv

Newcomer

as you know caustic series 2 by imagination technology have recently launched two ray tracing board R2100 and R2500 so i have a confusion because the R2100 model comes with a 4gb onboard ram official specs says that this single chip powered card is able to handle 50 million incoherent rays and 4gb of vram is able to handle 60million triangle of scene geometry while R2500 comes with Dual chip with 16gb vram it is able to handle 100 million incoherent rays and 16gb vram is able to handle 120million triangle of scene geometry so here is confusion if 4gb can handle 60million triangle so 16gb must be able to handle 240million triangle so i want to know what is the actual thing that is making the difference is company using different chip in two board or i am missing something :sad::sad::sad:

2. Davros

Legend

Well we dont, the powervr employee who posts here doesnt like to tell us things :(

A gtx680 with 2gb of ram can handle 128 billion textures a sec so a 4gb card must be able to handle 256 billion textures a sec...

3. PixResearch

Regular

Without any insider knowledge, using your numbers it sounds like they're simply storing a copy of the data per core...

4GB single core = 60m tris
    16GB dual core = 120m tris (2 x 120m tris per core = 240m tris)

4. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Each chip having its own memory controller probably necessitates duplicating the working data set, just like when rendering standard rasterized 3D graphics across multiple GPUs in SLI/CF mode.

5. amitsinghnv

Newcomer

means u are also a powervr employee who dont want to tell the insider story to developer

I believe that the memory will be split between the two processors, so both have a copy of the triangles in the scene, so it is like running two seperate cards with twice as much ram in each.

just like sli multi gpu mode

6. PixResearch

Regular

Unfortunately, no conspriacy - it simply means I'm an IMG employee who has no idea how Caustic's cards are structured.
    I also don't know how we build our digital radios, or half of the things we do :) I just thought about it and suggested an likely answer to your question.

If you need information I'd suggest the best place to ask would be our Caustic website. We spend a huge amount of effort on developer support and are usually more than happy to help with any info you require. While there's a few IMG employees on here (and most other graphics forums) this isn't the best place to get hardware support for specific platforms. Similarly there's plenty of NVidia, AMD, Intel guys here but usually their forums/email are a better source of developer support.

https://www.caustic.com

#6 PixResearch, May 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2013