Imagination Technologies up for sale

Discussion in 'Graphics and Semiconductor Industry' started by tangey, Jun 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

I was hopping Nintendo would go all in with IMG tech before the Switch reveal, like mips cpu with PowerVR gpu... Now, a big PowerVR GPU in a console, I would like it too, but I think Sony and MS will stick with AMD...

Dominik D and milk like this.
  2. 3dcgi

Veteran Subscriber

What does "real time attracting hardware" mean?

3. lanek

Veteran

I will love it, but when i look at what have happend this las month, i really start tto think this was, this is a bad move from Apple for acquire the pantents they need without the need tio licence them ..

4. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

I wish for AMD to acquire if only to bring the tech to more end users than just Sony would.

Dominik D likes this.
  5. monstercameron

Newcomer

imgtech ip portfolio could be a big boost too...

6. Rufus

Newcomer

I assume "real time ray tracking".

7. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Autocorrect fail for "real time ray tracing hardware".

Lightman and digitalwanderer like this.
  8. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

DAMN IT! I thought it meant it made you more attractive by owning one and thought it was a PR department's wet dream!

no-X and Lightman like this.
  9. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

http://www.investegate.co.uk/imagination-tech-plc--img-/rns/final-results/201707040700260301K/

So IMG claims apple isn't doing their own GPUs.

10. Alexko

Veteran Subscriber

Looks more like speculation to me:

Lightman and milk like this.
  11. Rys

Rys PowerVR
    Moderator Veteran Alpha

Andrew Heath is the CEO :runaway:

12. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Apple has ethics? Seems they have done exactly what they wanted to reduce IMG's financial situation and make litigation towards any possible IP claims very difficult against the virtually unlimited resources of Apple.

BRiT likes this.
  13. tangey

Veteran

The Full year results today, if apple was status quo, would be brilliant. They've increased licensing significantly YoY. Income from Apple is about the same last year (when you factor in currency), on around 25M units less. flat income on reduced units suggests some old ios devices stopping production during the year, and hence lower end IP dropping off. Income from Apple was around £65M, which is roughly 45% of the groups entire revenue.

Talking up the multi-year graphics subscription deal with Spreadtrum.

The statement also says that TI are continuing to license PowerVr. Further in the statement it says a "large American multi-national semi" has signed licenses from the ensigma segment. This is the wifi/bluetooth etc IP division. I'm wondering if this is also TI. Ensigma licensing has went up from 2M last year to 6M this year.

I wonder if TI is one of the companies that has shown interest in buying ensigma, or indeed the whole group.

BRiT likes this.
  14. Nebuchadnezzar

Legend

Think it has more to do with the £ dropping.

15. tangey

Veteran

Yes that's actually likely IMG Apple income is up 8%, but £-$ change YoY would be more than that.

16. tangey

Veteran

Pretty amazing reply by Apple on Bloomberg today, regarding IMG.

On face value, this looks like from some time in 2015, Apple was entirely working on it's own, it wasn't using ANYTHING new from IMG. 2015 iphone soc (A9) was likely the last one that used anything new from IMG. so 2016 A10 and 2017 A10x, used no new IMG IP since A9. Any advances in the GPU (ignoring process) were soley down to Apple

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...k-at-supplier-imagination-in-contract-dispute

If true, that is pretty startling, and IMG knew well in advance of their public statement that they were not in Apple's plans going forward.

Interesting that IMG income from Apple for the FY just ended rose from $60 to $65M on somewhat reduced unit sales. Now there was a signficant currency favour for them in that period, but it doesn't indicate a major shift in average royalty rate from Apple.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...k-at-supplier-imagination-in-contract-dispute

It appears to me that the only way they can totally design out IMG, is by enforcing a rule that IOS 11 apps no longer use PVRTC. And then they need to change all the existing apps so as they don't use PVRTC, or have two versions of such apps, ones that work on up to ios 10 that use PVRTC and ones that work on IOS 11 that don't.

That's assuming that they have indeed managed to design an otherwise non-infringing GPU. I thought the following quote was interesting:-

#36 tangey, Jul 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    mfaisalkemal and Malo like this.
  17. tangey

Veteran

18. Entropy

Veteran

Apples response was quite reveailing, and gave some insight into their motivations for moving to their own solution.
    Regarding PVRTC, you gave a couple of options already, but omitted the simplest - that Apple already have paid for an unlimited license for its use.
    I find it gratifying that they pointed out the obvious bullshitting from Andrew Heath. It´s understandable that the man wants to give the impression that ImgTech somehow might have a hold on Apple because it would increase the value of the company to any buyer now that they are trying to sell it, and the hope of a strong buyer coming in helps keep the share prices up, (actually serving Apple as a major shareholder). However, they way he does it hurts Apples public image sufficiently that they need to respond. It´s just clumsy.
    As an observer however, it was interesting to get a bit of a timeline and a sliver of insight into what has been going on.

19. Dominik D

Regular

Apple seems to make an assertion that they no longer have to pay licenses, period. Not using anything new doesn't mean not using anything old.

BRiT likes this.
  20. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Well why should they? They're THE preeminent innovators, of course they shouldn't!

/s

I hope Apple burns for this one and burns hard. Sorry, just my feelings on the matter.

roninja likes this.