Image Quality and Framebuffer Speculations for WIP/alpha/beta/E3 games *Read the first post*

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by Farid, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Allandor

Regular Newcomer

Wasn't that use in killzone to double the resolution. In a fast game it might result in such behavior.
    But you're right, it is more likely that it was the capturing device. But than it should be the same for all captures... well if nobody did something wrong

2. morphinapg

Newcomer

No not at all. Killzone used motion vectors to predict where pixels should be, reprojected them in the alternating fields, and the interpolated what was left. The result of that should be better than every deinterlacer out there, and should look identical to full 1080p most of the time, and always looks identical when stationary.

Shifty Geezer and Cyan like this.
  3. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

Even so, just look at this real life comparison where you can clearly see the blur produced from a fast moving object at 30 fps vs 60 fps. From this article:

http://blog.logicalincrements.com/post/116319047721/does-fps-matter-decide-for-yourself

"This slow-motion video comparison shows how much smoother a fast-moving object will appear at 60 vs. 30 FPS".

4. morphinapg

Newcomer

Well yes obviously higher frame rates would result in smaller blur. The motion blur produced should be directly representing the amount of pixels an object has moved between the previous frame and the next.

Also, btw, that "30fps" video isn't actually 30fps. They shot at 60fps with an incredibly fast shutter (hence very little motion blur) and then frame-blended it down to 30fps. If they had shot the 60fps video with a 1/60th shutter, then frame blended down to 30fps, it would have been a better comparison, because then both motion blurs would be natural.

5. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby
    Veteran Regular Subscriber

Apparently many people noticed the weird ghosting (and excessive blurring) of Project Cars, PS4 edition, day one patch rumored.

http://www.thegamescabin.com/projec...ne-patch-and-how-quality-is-fcking-important/

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. TheWretched

Regular

That is excessive... really hope you can disable it, even if it gets patched (imho, a 60Hz game doesn't really need motion blur)

7. Rikimaru

Veteran Newcomer

This does not look like proper motion blur and just last frame.

8. Scott_Arm

Legend

That looks horrible.

9. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

As a last-frame whatever, whether 'motion blur' or bugged AA, it'd be easy to remove and the game would be better for it.

10. djskribbles

Legend Veteran

I don't like the effect, but the slowed down GIFs make it look A LOT worse than it actually does in motion. Just watch the gamersyde videos. Still, hopefully SMS can address it.

11. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

Even if the gifs are slowed down, if the blur is continuous in any version, wouldn't you notice it? Knowing how important IQ and calibration is for you, I have a feeling you'd see it. I for one noticed the temporal AA in Halo Reach, and hopefully they will remove it in the TMCC version

12. djskribbles

Legend Veteran

I do notice it slightly at 60fps, I'm just saying it's not nearly as pronounced as the GIF above makes it seem. Knowing how open SMS are to feedback, I think this will (hopefully) get addressed. If not, it's not a deal breaker IMO.

#4592 djskribbles, May 4, 2015
    Last edited: May 5, 2015
    Cyan likes this.
  13. djskribbles

Legend Veteran

Response from SMS regarding the ghosting on PS4:
    So basically both console versions use EQAA but they added this (temporal?) AA to the PS4 version which they think overall improves the IQ. They will add a slider if enough people complain about it.

Not sure what AA was used in the DF comparison, but the PS4 version did indeed seem to have considerably better IQ, even considering the resolution differences.

Again, in stills it looks horrible, but in motion it's not that noticeable to my eyes. If it does considerably improve the IQ, then I'd be fine with it. A slider would probably be a good idea though.

#4593 djskribbles, May 5, 2015
    Last edited: May 5, 2015
    TheAlSpark and Billy Idol like this.
  14. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

Nice that they responded so quickly!

Shifty Geezer likes this.
  15. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

Well, that's basically how we should be viewing games these days. Methods that make use of the temporal variance in games won't translate well to still. Likewise artefacts of temporal variance like texture shimmer won't appear in stills.

As an AA technique, I'm not sure what's going on. One possibility is that the very slight delta on distant changes means blended frames works very well. If so, they could mask the blending based on depth (or even just centre of screen!) and reduce the trails while still maintaining the blend where its needed.

16. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby
    Veteran Regular Subscriber

DriveClub has temporal AA too, without ghosting.

17. Billy Idol

Legend Veteran

So it is indeed ghosting from temporal AA...I am curious now, how this game looks in real life?! Temporal AA when working well really gives a good IQ imo.

I did not plan to buy it, but I really like how the developers react to the community and am thinking about supporting them just because of this (also, I like racing games, but just don't have time for those GT type of games anymore and hence typically don't buy them).

18. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

I'm unconvinced that their temporal AA is a true temporal AA as we are used to talking about it. Blending a previous frame may reduce temporal aliasing but it's not really an AA technique.

Globalisateur likes this.
  19. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

DMC 3 had the same technique, I think. Not that many people liked it then either. If I am not mistaken, GT5 has it as an option (you can choose 3 different AA methods I think)

20. morphinapg

Newcomer

That's blending a full frame at 50% with the current frame. This can work as temporal aliasing, because it makes aliasing from motion 50% less visible, but it's not traditionally what we mean when we use the term. I'm playing MGS2 (2001) right now and it's using the same effect. It's incredibly outdated and it's ridiculous that any game would still use it today.