I'M LEGIT NOW! Bought Doom3 today.

Guden Oden

Legend
Didn't want to start yet another damn D3 thread in the gaming forum :)lol:), just wanted to mention it so people don't think I'm a bloody pirate and a scallywag or some such.

Stupid Activision, no reason we should have to wait, but anyway, I got the game now. Got rid of my lousy pirated version, installed CLEAN and FRESH with my genuine CD-key. Mmmm, feels good! I don't pirate games, I buy everything normally because I don't like having to run weird cracks and nocd patches and stuff with god knows what code embedded in 'em. Exception was made for this game because I waited so damn long for it and I wanted to see how it ran on my system. Ran, well, not quite fine as it turns out, but at least acceptable...

Anyone else who did the same, ran a downloaded copy until the real thing was made available in stores?

Regardless of which way you spin this you are nothing more than a left wing liberal theif who is a Bush bashing anti American. ;)

Bragging rights:
I said it first. :LOL:

Guden Oden said:
Didn't want to start yet another damn D3 threadAnyone else who did the same, ran a downloaded copy until the real thing was made available in stores?

Yup :oops: just uninstalled the downloaded version and installed my purchased one which i grabbed today after work.
Just hope next time Activision can have the decency to release games as big as Doom3 AT THE SAME DAMN TIME... they must have lost millions with their dumb "America first.. rest of the world whenever" practices, and I'm sure not everyone differentiates between the devs and publishers when it comes to their wallets and whose to blame with the release dates.

wait. You've been playing the game since it came out and still bought it ? damn man. If i knew what it was like i would never have bought it

Lots of folks do what you do, i.e. get pirated copy and then buy official copy... thinking that this is an okay kind of action ( "Hey look, I bought the official copy like I said I would... I don't approve of piracy" )

Yeah, right.

Reverend said:
Lots of folks do what you do, i.e. get pirated copy and then buy official copy... thinking that this is an okay kind of action ( "Hey look, I bought the official copy like I said I would... I don't approve of piracy" )

Yeah, right.

? What's your point?

Actually it's positive - he eventually did buy it, didn't he?

well its a dick move on both thier parts .

Id because they delayed the launch in his location.

and his because he downloaded it.

lots of posts to reply to, ill combine them all into one. :)

GO, good for you too many d3 thread over there. I get the cracks from time to time, but only the nocd ones'. I hate having to take the disk out after installation.

s429, why the "america first...." crap excuse. Japan does that all the time with their consoles and games. Indian movies always come out first in india. I do agree that MAJOR titles (software/hardware/movie/music) should be released worldwide at the sametime, or at least most of the major markets.

Rev, would you have a problems with someone who pre-orders a game, paying it for full, then on launch date downloading the game, then when you get a chance picking up the game itself from the store. Ive not done this but have paid for movie tickets online, and downloading the movie. Watching it one time and deleting it. Ive paid for my one viewing, and would not have bought and popcorn (et al) from the theater. I just dont have the time to go and actually drive to a theater and watching it there.

jvd, How hard is it to do a worldwide launch? Is it easier/cheaper to do it in parts?

epic

jvd, How hard is it to do a worldwide launch? Is it easier/cheaper to do it in parts?

depends on the media .

Movies are extremely hard as they have to be translated to other languges .

For this game I would imagine the areas it was pressed in or boxed would get it first. Most likely the usa .

If you ahve to wait u have to wait.

I don't complain all day long that japan is already on the 4th season of inuyasha and I"m only at eps 64 which is the start of the second one do I ? I just enjoy what i have till the new stuff comes

Reverend said:

Yeah, right.

Just remember, I said it first.

Morally who knows if this is good/bad. It's all about opinions.

Reverend said:
Lots of folks do what you do, i.e. get pirated copy and then buy official copy... thinking that this is an okay kind of action

What do you mean, "thinking"? :? If I can't buy it, nobody's hurt by the fact I'm running a pirated copy of the game.

Oh, you mean from a strictly LEGAL perspective, right? I guess you were cheering on Prince John's team when you watched Disney's "Robin Hood" with the kids, and you NEVER EVER jaywalk either, right? ;) Oh, come on down from your high horse, Ant.

( "Hey look, I bought the official copy like I said I would... I don't approve of piracy" )

Yeah, right.

:rolleyes: Apart from the theatrics you added, you're basically right. I don't approve of piracy, that's why I've not pirated a PC/console game in YEARS, before Doom3 that is, and I bought that the first day it was available in stores. I buy all my DVD movies also.

The only reason I did it now was that Activision were being a bunch of flaming maroons and delayed the game for weeks for us in Europe for NO REASON WHATSOEVER. Today, the globe is a global market. It's time companies understand that. In the past, it could take over half a year before a popular American movie made it across the atlantic to scandinavia. Now they're starting to understand that if they wait too long, people will simply download it off the web instead. It's not the consumers' fault, it's the movie companies being lazy bums stuck in their old ways.

There's a lot of resistance against this new technology amongst the "content provider" type of companies, but we'll whip them into coming 'round sooner or later I'm sure. I bought the game, but not everybody does that. I have a friend who works in a white-box PC builder store. His response to my question if he'd buy the game too now was, "why? I've already got it now." I tried to reason with him, but I don't know if he actually listened.

Companies need to learn that they lose customers by artificially dividing up the market, and they learn the quickest by being hit where it hurts them the most; in their wallets...

I played Sim City 4 for 4-5 months using a pirated version when it came out. Then recently when I got out of school and got a job I bought it, I havent really played it after I bought it. Maxis just deserved the money and I finally had them.

Btw ID software has given an exuse and fair reason for the late european launch.

Reverend said:

Yeah, right.

I'm just Pre-Installing my Pre-ordered copy of a game whats wrong with that :/

Leto said:
Btw ID software has given an exuse and fair reason for the late european launch.

There's no excuse, and there was no fair reason. Not any that is worth a damn anyway.

That they gave an excuse, sure, I can buy that, but that it holds any water, that's something quite different. :devilish:

they really need to start offering games for download the moment they go gold. then people who would rather not support warez would have good alternitive to waiting for retail releases instead of being left twiddling their thumbs while people who have no intention of paying for the game are already enjoing it.

Downloading pirated copies and then buying official copies mean only one thing to me, and that is not supporting the gaming industry even though you bought an official copy.

The fact that you downloaded it means you're supporting piracy.

That's just the way I look at it. If I am able to resist buying a pirated copy of the game and be willing to wait, I am sure it isn't hard for everyone to do likewise (and piracy is rampant in Malaysia... it's in every shopping mall, in markets, sold by walking salesmen... it's inescapable). Believe me, I had already made a decision to do what you (and many others) did -- buy pirated copy now, buy official copy later -- but I am proud I didn't.

I don't have a high horse, only three small dogs.

Reverend said:

I find that a questionable point of view but let's assume it's true. So what is the bad thing about piracy? I'd say clearly the relevant issue would be the lost revenue for the creators and publishers of the software. But there is no lost revenue here. So where's the problem?

Reverend said:
Downloading pirated copies and then buying official copies mean only one thing to me, and that is not supporting the gaming industry even though you bought an official copy.

so you think i should take it back and get a refund? i mean i downloaded the game because i knew i was going to have to wait until after the offical release date for the store i preordered at to get my copy in but then i still payed for the game becuase i like to support the game industry. yet according to you i wasn't supporting the game industry so i might as well just get my money back, eh?

Florin said:
Reverend said:

I find that a questionable point of view but let's assume it's true. So what is the bad thing about piracy? I'd say clearly the relevant issue would be the lost revenue for the creators and publishers of the software. But there is no lost revenue here. So where's the problem?
Obviously a valid point there but that isn't lost on me nor that I didn't think of this prior to my previous post.

Look at it the other way round -- the pirates will continue to thrive. I suppose what I'm talking about is a matter of principles, which requires discipline if we want to uphold such principles.

I have bought pirated software in the past but the last instance was too long ago for me to remember what that piece of software was.

We can't hope to wipe out piracy. For that to happen means no one on this planet will buy pirated software. This can't be guaranteed! The "demand" for pirated software exists -- what I hope for is that such a demand is reduced, not for it to be completely erased (as that is an improbable possibility).

Where Doom3 is concerned, the fact that Activision (with id's consultation, obviously) delayed the release of the game is wrong IMO. The following is something I posted a little while back in a private B3D forum :

Reverend said:
It's a mess where Activision and id are concerned. Both are just more worried about piracy atm than to have the game available. IMO, they both made the wrong decision to hold back release. The #1 reason folks buy or d/l pirated games is not the additional cost but the delay games become available in their country. And this is not a no-name game we're talking about here. The correct damage control (if this is their intention wrt holding back the game) is to sell the game right away. Fighting pirates is a battle they can't win.

[edit]PS. I'm not trying to appear to be "righteous" here and I really don't want to pursue this... so everyone please do what you think is right regardless of what I have to say about this topic. What if red tapes or whatever are removed for much, much faster global distribution? Why do pirated copies come out so much faster in various countries? Would quicker availability of games in various parts of the world mean purchase/downloads of pirated versions will go down? Definitely, because I know there are ethical folks in the world. By how much? Not known... because if I can say I didn't download a pirated copy, or that I downloaded a pirated copy and then bought an official version, who's to say I'm not lying?

Back