I'm Doing A Presentation in My Emerging Technologies Class About the NG Consoles

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOA

Newcomer
I need up-to-date specs on all three consoles. Xbox 360 specs are readily available in great detail, but it seems as if Wii specs are either outdated or suspect and PS3 specs are all from E3 2005. One key area we're being graded on is accuracy of information. So everything has to be accurate and up to date.

The basic gist of my presentation is how gaming is a key driver of technology and I'm going to highlight some of the features of each console to illustrate this. For the Wii I'm going to focus on next gen gameplay using the Wiimote. For the X360, I'm going to focus on online play via Xbox Live. With the PS3 I wanted to highlight Cell+RSX+Blu-Ray. The only problem is that I can't find shit on RSX that isn't damn near two years old. Will it be safe for me to use the stuff from E3 2005 or should I try to find something more recent. There's a question and answer portion after my presentation and if I get caught with outdated info, it affects my grade. I have an "A" in the class so far and this presentation is 20% of my grade. My professor is really big on us knowing just what the hell we're talking about when we speak to groups and with a bunch of tech junkies in the class, I don't want to get up there and get hammered because my facts are wrong.

So can someone steer me in the direction of reliable and up-to-date complete PS3 and Wii specs. I'm more interested in Hollywood+Broadway and detailed RSX specs.

You can forget about finding official specs about the wii and ps3 because there just arnt any official numbers from nintendo for Wii and according to nintendo there never will be. And also sony didnt disclosed all details about the ps3.

But I think you'll be pretty safe using the numers out there. They probably are pretty accurate and since there arnt any official numers anyway its not like you have a other option.

What are you looking for here? It seems you want marketing numbers and not actual specifications. That would be the focus on your paper. Just how bad companies are about using false numbers are trying to pass of theoretical numbers as actual performance.

RSX is nothing "special" as its a tweaked GeForce 7 design. I believe information on the memory bus is on this forum, etc. Otherwise you can easily grab what is under the hood from GeForce 7 articles.

Cell I would imagine is easy to find the underlying information, seeing as how its certainly not limited to use in the PS3.

Wii, well that's a different challenge. There's so many conflicts on what is different inside it besides higher clocks when compared to the Gamecube.

I need up-to-date specs on all three consoles. Xbox 360 specs are readily available in great detail, but it seems as if Wii specs are either outdated or suspect and PS3 specs are all from E3 2005. One key area we're being graded on is accuracy of information. So everything has to be accurate and up to date.
As accurate information isn't available, that'll be a tricky one for anyone to grade you on!

...My professor is really big on us knowing just what the hell we're talking about when we speak to groups and with a bunch of tech junkies in the class, I don't want to get up there and get hammered because my facts are wrong.
They won't know any better than you. And as there's no specific info on some points, chances are there'll be classmates who think they know but don't.

The best we have for Wii Specs is covered here. RSX can be considered a G70 with less ROPS and less BW, with more cache (unquantified) @ 500 MHz. You can take the E3 '05 GPU specs and reduce them about 10% including VRAM BW and clock speed. Cell is a 1 PPE + 7 SPE configuration, 3.2 GHz.

Nothing else is official. There's a big chip in PS3 that we aren;t even sure what it is. Might be a Toshiba Super Companion Chip or derivative :???:. Just sticking to the facts about the points you want to raise (Wiimote controller as 2 accelerometers (IIRC), IR camera, reads IR leds; XB360 has Live network features 1,2,3...; PS3 has a Cell processor and standard nVidia GPU), you can stay accurate without making too much work for yourself. There ought to be acceptible. There should be no need to know Wii specs when the talk is on the controller.

Easiest way to circumnavigate the lack of current information is to add labels and date your data. so you will have a disclaimer saying how and where the data was found/used... and don't ever forget to give credit to where information was taken from...

if you were to add the E3 PS3 specs is use the label like
"last official spec update by Sony (2005)"
-put the credit information here (ex. www.playstation.com/XXXXXX/xxxxxx)-

if you want to use the most current spec that's going around B3D (like the GPU downclock and stuff), label it:
"Unofficial updated spec sheet collectively gathered (current)"
-credit information would be www.beyond3d.com-

if you want to extrapolate your own hypothesis, then be sure to label it as well

you can use both to add contrast and to fill in the gaps missing from the data

since your class room is full of tech enthusiasts they should have heard of beyond3d. if not call them noobs :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back