Ihwc

Gubbi

Veteran
Am I the only one watching the ice hockey WC ? Or are people too caught up in the Stanley Cup to take notice?

Anyway, who are your favorites ?

Saw Canada run over USA yesterday.

Canada will be facing the Swiss in the quarter finals as a huge favorite IMO.

USA has their work cut out for them, they'll be up against Finland who play very much like Canada. That is, organized defensively while their backs take part in offensive play as well. My money are on Finland.

Sweden and Russia are the other two big favorites. Saw their game sunday night, both played really well with the Russians being superior in the 3rd period. Hard to say if that was down the physical nature of the game (it got ugly) and the fact that the winner would be facing the ever strong (but underperforming) czechs in the quarter final instead of Slovakia.

My guess for the final four is:
Canada, Russia, Sweden and Finland.

And ranked:
1. Russia. Played some awesome ice hockey so far, and on homeground.
2. Sweden. Played really well so far, were awesome in the warmup tournament i february.
3. Canada. Fast, physical and a surprising level of individual skill. This is my outsider for the title.
4. Finland. Got absolutely run over by the russians in the preliminary round. But lot of skill and always fights hard (SISU ftw!).

Comments?

Cheers

Ice hockey in the US and Canada (at least in the US) is a non-event ever since they cancelled a season and a half for contract disputes. It doesn't get prime time coverage at all, and I think you have to have ESPN2 to see it.

Ice hockey in the US and Canada (at least in the US) is a non-event ever since they cancelled a season and a half for contract disputes. It doesn't get prime time coverage at all, and I think you have to have ESPN2 to see it.

I can understand that for NHL, but for the WC as well?

Anyway with the amount of swedes, fins and other nationalities on these board that actually have capable national squads I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it.

Cheers

Well, I didn't even know it was going on until like yesterday. I haven't watched a single game, well, except some that happened to be on at lunch on the TVs in the cafeteria.

I was a huge hockey fan till about 2004 but swore off sports when I moved to China. I tend to get wrapped up in sports -- it's a really time-consuming hobby! That said, if you see any good games, please mention them! Maybe I can find a delayed broadast... ;p

Actually, I only saw part of it during lunch. I saw the 2-2 goal. Then when I got home I read 4-2 on aftonbladet.se, so I assumed that was the final score.

When it comes to sports I like playing, watching is just very very dull and I can't bring myself to care which team wins.

Hockey barely suffered at all from that cancelled season (one season, not a season and a half). The ratings and revenues were pretty much the same as soon as the NHL resumed.

What happened was that ESPN wouldn't pay much for television rights nor give it much airtime even if they got them, so the NHL went to OLN/Versus for national games.

You're right about the coverage in the US, though. Just pathetic.

Back