IGN poll results on interest in next-gen consoles. *spawn

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by Shortbread, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

[​IMG]

That 4.4% for Stadia though. Google must be on cloud 9 now... :yep2::nope:

iroboto likes this.
  2. temesgen

Veteran Regular

I think with all the new studios MS is lining up, interest in Xbox is going to be much higher post E3 and I say this as a Sony guy.

3. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Proportionally more people are interested in XB than PS5 versus userbase.

turkey and iroboto like this.
  4. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

If we look at it purely from users (voters) wanting to transition from their current system to the next (same platform/ecosystem), it would look something like this.

~14M towards Xbox-Next (based on 47M XB1 users), and ~51M towards PS5 (based on 96M PS4 users). Leaving around 81M XB1/PS4 console gamers up for grabs during the next-generation of gaming (as of now with the current install bases)?

#4 Shortbread, Jun 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  5. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

We were getting polls favoring Sony by large post 360/PS3 launch too and everyone had zero hopes for Nintendo.
    Things can change drastically

milk likes this.
  6. Jay

Jay
    Veteran Regular

For me this poll only becomes interesting once its part of a timeline of polls.
    Example, doing another after E3 week once Google and MS has had their events.

Be nice to see how it would change, in all directions. If MS doesn't show well would Xbox numbers go down or is that the Xbox base.

milk likes this.
  7. tongue_of_colicab

Veteran

Agreed. What's the point of having a poll when there isn't any real information out yet anyway? Probably just as owners voting ps, Xbox voting Xbox.

8. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

Proportionally, Google is beating every other to a pulp since their game console userbase is zero and it's increasing by infinite percent.

Or maybe ign.com is a website whose 1/3rd of the audience lives in the USA, where according to some admitedly dubious website the Xbox trails the PS4 by only 15%. So if we go that way, the Xbox might even be losing followers.

In the end, I'll bet that >90% of XBOne owners are just voting for a next-gen console from Microsoft, and >90% of PS4 owners are voting for a next-gen console from Sony.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

9. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

I dont know anyone who actively goes to IGN sites.

10. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

I believe they have the largest XenForo forum in the world, by a lot.

11. milk

Veteran Regular

Yeah, the ign active readers are a very specific group of people who I doubt are representative of the gaming public at large.

12. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

What??? IGN if anything has the largest cross-section of gamers (i.e., standalone, mobile, streaming, etc.) from social media to having their own cable-TV shows. Heck, they have sponsored more gaming tournaments than any other gaming media sites. That being said, they're still a haven for some of the worst gamers on the planet... many fanboys/warrior threads abound.

13. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

I think IGN has some great inside coverage on upcoming games. But their editorial staff, game reviews, and boards needs a serious douche though.

14. milk

Veteran Regular

Yeah, they are the biggest gaming journalism group out there. But still, most consumers that actually buy consoles and games don't read about it online. It's a minority that is really THAT engaged. Such pool is indicative of the interests of that hardcore audience, but it can't be extrapolated to the whole console buying market.

15. Silent_Buddha

Legend

I look at the poll and my take is that.
    • Xbox gamers are chomping at the bit for the next console because while MS has recovered amazingly from launch, the console is still tainted in many gamer's eyes. Xbox gamers are hoping the next generation is good from start to finish unlike the XBO.
    • Playstation gamers have gotten a lot of good exclusives. Playstation gamers are still happy with the state of gaming on PS4.
    So more people (as a proportion not in total numbers) are looking forward to the next Xbox than the next Playstation just because PS4 has done so well and Sony has done extraordinarily well with their exclusives this generation.

OTOH, IGN is also the most mainstream of all the gaming media sites. Every single other gaming site is going to have a much narrower and consequently more niche audience.

So, while their reach isn't as broad as traditional media (NBC, CNN, the New York Times, etc.) it's far broader than any other gaming focused media site.

That doesn't mean I think they are a great media corporation, just that they reach the broadest cross section of gamers which is still not the whole cross section of gamers.

Regards,
    SB

#15 Silent_Buddha, Jun 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    milk and Shortbread like this.
  16. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

Oh, absolutely. The scalability of Xenforo for IGN is a definitive case study for site admins.

Yet I dont know anyone who goes there anymore. I used to visit that site for news but stopped around a decade ago (maybe more).

Only 40K votes when there are far more active users of the site. They have 5K simultaneous users on now. Given that, its surprising the number of total votes were not higher.

17. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Considering there wasn't an option for either "none of the above" or "I'm happy with the current generation" it may be that there's just not a ton of interest there for a next gen console. That would tie in more with the more casual gamers who don't jump in at the start of a generation.

Or it could just represent that console gaming while it has grown still isn't the main way that most people game. Mobile is probably much larger. And while AAA tends to sell a bit better on console, AA and indie titles tend to sell far better on PC.

Regards,
    SB

BRiT likes this.
  18. seahorsesaw

Newcomer

It seems to me that something like Stadia will be more of a necessary evil after the amount of power that can be fit within a box of x vs y vs z dimensions is exhausted if consumers keep demanding better graphics. After that the only way forward is to scale up. Also, needs mass rollout of cheap superfast broadband.

19. Silent_Buddha

Legend

The problem, at least currently, is that the announced specifications for Stadia appear to be lower than the next generation of consoles which likely hits in 2020.

Regards,
    SB

milk likes this.
  20. seahorsesaw

Newcomer

Is that a problem? If the subscription cost is low then it could be seen as an alternative.