If this can retail for 129UKP

I believe that the GPX2's weakness is that it doesn't do 3d acceleration, (although it can run non-accelerated Quake).

Although i've been waiting to see some decent PowerVR HW accelerated handhelds out there I would also like a well designed 'pocketable' toy to play emulators on, and, if this truly is going to be the price, the GPX2 may be just the thing i'm looking for.
Until we start seeing some decent 3D acceleration (with AA available and being used) getting into actual physical products I am not at all interested in any of the current poor offerings out there, and would rather stick to awesome 8/16bit emulated 2D classic gaming on something like this.
It was also nice to see the designers take heed of forum comments and up the RAM to 64MB.

ClashMan:
To you I would suggest that the GameBoy didn't have colour or very high resolution* when it was up against the SEGA GameGear and Atari LYNX, but where are those two technologically superior systems now?
*What it did have was a reasonable sized form and a decent battery life

Last edited by a moderator:
It's doomed to failure already:

It's open. You want to develop your own games for the GP2X? Go right ahead. The SDK is included with the system free. Not since the days of the Amiga has a system been so easy to develop for, commercially and for fun.

You idiots. Never try to compare anything to the Amiga. Two reasons why:

1. It's not an Amiga. Amigas are The Uber Source of Nostalgia for some of us (there are pictures of me at age 1 on an Amiga 1000. you can't just throw the word Amiga around). Plus, AmigaOS was badass (I'd rather use a modern version of it than Linux, Windows, anything else).

2. Amigas were always commercial failures. :D

I would get it just for the handheld portable Linux aspect of it. I haven't seen it anywhere (maybe if I investigate the site...but i'm at work and me posting here looks like i'm wrting out some type of report :LOL:) what type of Linux distro is it running? Is it a modification of a full blown version? or a new one specially made for the device?

The Baron said:
2. Amigas were always commercial failures. :D

Far from it. That's a common misconception. The real problem was Commodore's PC division, or rather CBM's management for having the happy idea to fund it, as it was a complete waste of their money and drove them to bankruptcy.

They sold around six million Amiga computer, which, as far as I can tell, is not quite a flop. For instance, the Amiga 500 was the biggest commercial success for the company since the C64, selling in the millions. I can hardly call that a commercial failure.

It could have been a lot more popular, that's for sure, but I believe it was a great success IN SPITE OF Commodore. If the IP had been bought by any other company -excluding Atari, of course ;-) - , I'm sure it would have done a lot better.

By the way, I'm really looking forward to the release of AmigaOS 4.0. It's looking great so far:

http://amigaworld.net/modules/myalbum/viewcat.php?op=&cid=4

Last edited by a moderator:
To you I would suggest that the GameBoy didn't have colour or very high resolution* when it was up against the SEGA GameGear and Atari LYNX, but where are those two technologically superior systems now?
*What it did have was a reasonable sized form and a decent battery life

I'm sorry, but I don't think that applies to the GP2 vs NDS and PSP. I don't think it's meant to, either. The people who made the GP2 know it's gonna be kind of a niche system, and I think it's a good one, too. However, there are tradeoffs that come with that, and in the GP2's case that is 3d acceleration. Then again, I'd consider getting it just to use as a portable media player, as it's a hell of a lot cheaper than anything being offered in that category.

Clashman said:
I'm sorry, but I don't think that applies to the GP2 vs NDS and PSP. I don't think it's meant to, either. The people who made the GP2 know it's gonna be kind of a niche system, and I think it's a good one, too. However, there are tradeoffs that come with that, and in the GP2's case that is 3d acceleration. Then again, I'd consider getting it just to use as a portable media player, as it's a hell of a lot cheaper than anything being offered in that category.

I would've said that not having 3D acceleration wasn't an issue for this product.
What the original GP32 was used for most was NES/SNES/GameBoy emulation - and this one is cooler than any GameBoy, and more practical than the new gimmicky Micro version.

For starters, where are all the 3D games? - there aren't any
SK[Y] Teletech set up a dedicated 3D mobile gaming site for it's own products. The games all currently on said site may be 3D in appearence but that's where the asociation ends. This is from a company that is using 3D acceleration, via MBX, in phones such as their IM-8300!
PSP isn't impressive considering MBX has been around since 2001, NDS is going for a different strategy entirely, and all other offerings are still nowhere close to what my old Rendition Verite was capable of in 1997! - Zodiac and Gizmondo were just crap
Besides a couple of commercial releases and any proprietary stuff that I haven't seen, there are still only a very few OpenGL-ES titles - most of those being homebrew projects.
This market has been chronically slow and I have always assumed it was intentional, so as not to leave a mountain of unsold not-quite-3D-capable chips that all companies have been producing in tons up till now.
In a press release recently, Intel were trying to 'encourage' clients to move up to at least PXA270 chip platforms (because they want to move on, it seems) by threatening to begin phasing out of popular selling older platforms which are still being requested.

To me, the GPX2 is the classic 8/16bit gamers' iPod, it's well designed for this purpose alone - all the other stuff is just a great bonus - and i hope it does well for GamePark.

deviantchild said:
PSP isn't impressive considering MBX has been around since 2001
Though PSP is impressive considering what they look like when you look at the actual 3D graphics running on this handheld, and that I don't think any other handheld as shown such 3D graphics in this price range (if ever?).

MfA said:
There's the ID games, and for a PSX emulator a 3D accelerator would be nice too.

Are you referring to ATi's Acceleratd Quake[1] demo for Imageon from quite a while ago?
Or PowerVR's QuakeIII demo? which was actually a recorded demo to test movie playback.
There was rumour of a QuakeII engine based demo but i have never seen it.
The only thing close that I have seen was Intel's port of Cube to 2700G / MBX-Lite - that may be in the same ilk as the Quake games but is not by id.
I guess what you're actually referring to is sources being readily available, and therefore easily ported from OpenGL -> OpenGL-ES?. There is that angle, I suppose.

Yes, a 3D accelerator would be nice for a PSX emulator (I think even Imageon or GoForce could actually be capable of that ;) ) but you can't have it all just yet! :) - While you're at it, I'll have a DC, which is theoretically possible too :)

I still think GPX2 stands a chance without acceleration. And I still don't think PSP is 'all that', although the game devs seem to be doing really well at squeezing performance from it.

deviantchild said:
Or PowerVR's QuakeIII demo? which was actually a recorded demo to test movie playback.
That sounds a bit ambiguous - someone might equate movie and MPEG. AFAIK, it was a capture of the (3D) polygon definitions which were then rendered with MBX.

deviantchild said:

I am worried about this description as well. The game was run on PC with a special driver to record the OGL command stream, this stream was then run through MBX. So its playback of real 3D data captured from PC, not MPG2/4 playback or something.

What is it they say about busses?! ;)

Sorry lads, I guess it would be classed as "[size=-1]machinima" then, although there's no story and it's more or less a timedemo... but not strictly... I dunno, what would you call it? "recorded graphics output playback"?
[/size]

Kristof said:
I am worried about this description as well. The game was run on PC with a special driver to record the OGL command stream, this stream was then run through MBX. So its playback of real 3D data captured from PC, not MPG2/4 playback or something.

muhaha... :D a shadow of Glaze 3D is casted here... ;) This is exactly how the non-materialized Glaze3D was showed running (dead slow, as it was ran by hardware emulator) some Quake... I can't recal if it was 3 or 2.

Still, I think ppl would have called it as movie as well, if it wouldn't been sooo sloooowww...

anyway, this is living example, how the rumours start. Thank goodness we have the internet, that has only correct information and no rumours spreading around. ;)

Back