If it's time to close the windows, what should be next?

DarN

Regular
There's an article by Dwight Silverman over at HoustonChronicle speculating over what's next when/if the old windows/mouse interface ever gets abandoned.

John Carmack, the programming wizard behind id Software's Doom and Quake series, has long considered turning his skills at developing 3-D worlds to the task of creating a computing interface. According to author David Kushner in his book Masters of Doom: How Two Guys Created an Empire and Transformed Pop Culture, Carmack has proposed to the rest of id that the company tackle this as a potential product. That idea apparently fell with a thud, but Carmack has said that, if he ever leaves gaming, he'd like to study it.

The mind boggles at a Carmack-designed computer interface. Would you delete files by blowing them away with a rocket launcher? Move them from one computer to another via onscreen transporter? And would a computer virus appear as some kind of unholy hell spawn, with Norton Antivirus obliterating it via lightning gun?

I'd love to have a JC interface!

Read the article

BTW, hello everybody. :D

Thanks man. Sounds really nice.

I'd love to read the virus report after the scan.

"You have killed the big badasses..."

Doom ending. :LOL:

Yeah, or go virus huntin' with the rocket launcher!
He also explores a voice-controlled interface. Imagine playing DooM 5, yelling FORWARD, LEFT, SHOOT SHOOT! LOL!
I don't think the mouse will outlive it's usefullness for a very long time, though. :)

Unbelieveable! I'm speechless...

Check out their goals list:
Goals:
1. Continue to add functionality to the process manager, such as the ability to send various kill signals and a way to shut down the machine cleanly from the program.
2. Add networking support so multiple admins can work the machine at the same time and/or remotely administer a machine.
3. Everything else in the TODO file.
4. Possibly make other interfaces besides one to 'ps', such as a file management module.
5. Make psDooM the de-facto standard for graphical process manipulation on the *nix platform. :)

A process monitor with DooM interface... ActionOS!(TM) :LOL:

Back