IE10 - for those who care.

Grall

Invisible Member
Legend
There's a win7 preview version for general consumption out now, I just installed it and it seems to work well. Uninstalling it will apparantly roll you back to IE9.

There are no obvious differences, the UI is still as utterly SHIT as it is in its predecessor. Widgets spread out all over the fucking place, no separate search box, and so on. Basically for all intents and purposes it's functionally and visually the exact same browser MS has had for about two years or more already. Development, competition... Who needs it?!

At least they seem to have fixed the buggy text box cursor problem that has plagued IE9 for ages now.

Edit:
Curse Client just went belly-up on me. Maybe IE related, maybe it didn't like me uninstalling adobe flash. Who knows.

They were probably too busy with writing the separate Windows RT version and spending time to get those versions to behave the same way. According to html5test.org it's still trailing the competition by quite a margin in that area.

I really don't see the need for separate search box after using chrome primarily for quite some time now. Really just a waste of ui real estate.

There's no need for a separate search bar, as long as you don't mind telling uncle google every single web address you type into your browser.

There's no need for a separate search bar, as long as you don't mind telling uncle google every single web address you type into your browser.
It's not like your ISP doesn't log the DNS request anyways... I just doubt most of us are important enough for them ever to review any of it :)

I don't understand what paranoia and desire for privacy has to do with whether the address bar acts as a search bar as well?

Not sure I understand that comment - a lot can be resolved by the client before it decides to resort to whichever search engine you've entered as your default.

Not sure I understand that comment - a lot can be resolved by the client before it decides to resort to whichever search engine you've entered as your default.

No idea about other browsers, but in Opera, with default settings, you send everything you type in the address bar in real-time to the default search engine (Google).

I used to 'fix' that by changing the default search engine to 'find in page', but with the latest release they've blocked that ability.

As far as ISPs logging DNS requests: it's not about whether you are important or not, it's about whether that data can be monetized. And you can bet it can!
Alternatives are setting up a resolving DNS server yourself, and hoping the ISP doesn't do deep-packet-inspection to extract basically the same data (and more) for data monetization purposes. Basically the same Google, Facebook and LinkedIn do but on a much more intrusive scale.
Store all your data on 'the cloud', and the data monetization abilities are endless for the cloud providers.

We're entering an era which would have been the Stasi's wet dream. And we're trusting politicians to not let anything bad happen with this technology in place? :D :D :D :D

Last edited by a moderator:
No idea about other browsers, but in Opera, with default settings, you send everything you type in the address bar in real-time to the default search engine (Google).

Wow, seems like inefficent behaviour to me. Just having a look at how IE handle it (never paid attention before) but it seems the default behaviour is to not resolve the search by default, but there is an option to submit the keystrokes to the search provider.

I really don't see the need for separate search box after using chrome primarily for quite some time now. Really just a waste of ui real estate.

I've been using IE9 and Chrome for a while now, and I absolutely HATE the way search is handled. At least IE9 allows a kludge to search the way I can in IE8 (two machines with IE8 that I refuse to upgrade to IE9).

Basically it comes down to the ease with which I can easily cross reference a search among my user defined search items. For example, a short list of things I have configured as search providers in IE8. My full list has about 30 different defined sites. Some work related, some not.

bing, google, imdb, tv.com, wikipedia, newegg, ebay, etc.

I can submit a search in one. And with two clicks of a button immediately search for it on another site. As it keeps a history (if I want it to), I can enter a new search term, do the same then revert back to the previous search term.

I can sort of do the same in IE9 by clicking the magnifying glass icon in the URL box, but it's klunky at best. And nowhere near as fluid and convenient.

Is it absolutely needed? No, but it is a HUGE convenience and a time saver when I have to do a LOT of cross referencing.

As for Chrome? Nothing even remotely similar. Which is one reason among many why I only use Chrome as a backup browser.

Regards,
SB

Anyone have a clue how to nuke IE10 off a windows 7 PC and make it revert back to IE9? Trying to search the web doesn't turn up anything useful or non-suspicious-looking...

My install is bugged somehow - certain pages don't work properly, and so on - and I cannot uninstall it because there's no entry for IE10 platform preview in the control panel... Yeah crazy, I know! You'd think MS knows how to stick an uninstaller where it's supposed to go! :rolleyes:

Welp.

Suffering a bout of insomnia, decided to spring clean my PC a bit, re-route some SATA cables and unclog a SERIOUSLY dusted-up CPU heatsink. Also arm-twisted my poor 4+ y/o PC's OC settings back up to where they used to be - let's hope it was the dust that made the CPU unstable. :p

Anyway, having booted windows with the monitor cable attached to the wrong socket (I use the non-default secondary display adaptor, since it can ingest air more freely to its fan than the primary one (yay those boxy 6xxx series heatsink + rear heatspreader combo nearly starving the fan completely of air...), and each time I do this, IE10 forces my font sizes down to a really tiny size, making everything hard to read for a middle-aged guy like myself.

Uninstalling IE10 and then putting it back again fixes the issue, but DAMN. Is it annoying or what!

Has anyone else noticed this, or am I alone in not being arsed to use another browser...? :D

...Lol. 30 minutes of swearing at microsoft later and I'm back where I started before my icons and screen text sizes got mucked up.

I uninstalled IE10 like last time windows forced me to go through this song-and-dance routine, it put back IE9 for me automatically. Restart one followed. Ran windows update to put IE10 back. It suggested a critical IE9 cumulative update, so I thought "what the heck". Restart two. Ran windows update AGAIN, had it download IE10; 68MB. It took about 4 seconds of actual downloading on this brutal brutal cable connection I got now, after having mulled over what precisely to do apparantly for what felt like half a minute (may only have been 15-20 secs, IDK).

Installation failed, with an "unknown error".

Ran it again, failed again. And again. Same error each time.

Googling the error showed it to be everything BUT unknown, lots of people have stumbled over it, and what it boils down to seems to be missing IE8 modules. Great! The uninstaller uninstalled things that it shouldn't have... *sigh*

More browsing links suggested by people trying to help dug up a simply wonderful, wonderful arcane ritual that in of itself sums up exactly why microsoft is such a fuckup of a company sometimes. I wish I could post the link, but it was lost when I decided to not try my hand at the surgical procedure suggested by the (very knowledgeable and smart) person's suggestion of what to do to fix MS's screwup and instead simply rolled the OS back to the restore point before uninstalling IE, and now everything's just the way it's supposed to be...

Wonderful. Drinking early morning tea now, 7AM. *sigh* This is gonna be a looooooooong day....

Edit:
FOUND THE LINK, lol...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back