id's Tech 5 is not meant to push graphics cards to the limit

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by B3D News, Jul 14, 2007.

1. B3D News

B3D News Beyond3D News
    Regular

In an interview with IGN, Tim Willits, co-owner of id Software, developer of some of the most famous and advanced for their time 3D engines, says that his company's latest engine was not created with the goal to make latest PC graphics cards beg for mercy. This time, the engine is definitely tailored for consoles and the PC, whereas id used to create PC engines and let its licensees handle consoles port down the lane.

Read the full news item

2. Cypher

Newcomer

60 fps on PS3? For things like the VT, I can totally see that level of performance, but considering the lighting and shadowing (e.g. every light being an omnidir shadowmap) that idTech is supposed to be capable of, they must have scaled back a lot of things that I thought it'd have, like HDR rendering and tone mapping, to pull it off.

3. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

Yes, it will be interesting. But I do expect some good stuff, it's not like they don't have talented people working there ...

Incidentally, it's perhaps noteworthy that their engine is also available for the Mac.

4. Rainbow Man

Veteran

I'd hope more developers would make similar announcements. I'm tired of PCs starting to lose the edge 6 months after purchase and being completely dull after a year and a half.

Crysis and similar titles are the scourge of PC gaming IMO because the masses don't have the means to buy hardware capable enough to run such titles so it turns them away from the entire PC gaming scene.

Besides with such heavy focus on graphics something else WILL have to give to compensate.

There's a reason Valve in general and Blizzard in particular have become incredibly successful making games that don't kill your PC when running it.

Peace.

5. tongue_of_colicab

Veteran

Isnt that because all their engines are opengl?

Well whatever ID is doing, I sure hope they drop the plastic look of their games.

6. ballsweat

Banned

Do we know for sure, though, that crysis will be too much for non-highest end hw?

i'm not sure, but you know more than i do, so i could be wrong.

but the reason i think that, is b/c dx10 is actually just as much about efficient coding as it is for a leap in visual quality.

anyways, i think the new id tech engine looks pretty dissapointing to me, so i can definately imagine it running as well as on low end hw as it can on high-end.

When saw the first screens of it, I was actually in shock due to how bad it looked.

I expected quite a bit more from id.

7. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Nope, there is no info so what other says about "it is this and that heavy on x PC" are speculating only!

8. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

Agreed so much, you will never know how much I agree with you. I've caught some flak for saying this, but to be honest I've never found the visual quality of any of id's works to be that great simply because they have no freaking clue how to do art work, and their demos always look bad to me when you get to creature/human models. The plastic look is horrible...

9. hesido

Regular

Way to go, ID software. This is what every software house should do, instead of bragging about how they are pushing hardware to its limits.

There should even be some form of organization that classifies PC's in an incremental fashion with the most possible combination of peripherals of the time, e.g. a 600$ pc of the year(A2007), e.g. 1200$ pc of the year(B2007), e.g. 1800$pc of the year(C2007) and software houses could have pre-sets for these machines in their software, or even optimize their whole code for a specific type of PC. Even tho there are zillions of combinations in the PC world as one could go for a 500$cpu and 40$gpu, this would still make some sense, e.g. if both your cpu and gpu is above the B2007, you would know it is highly likely that you'd have a better experience for games optimized for B2007. And yes, AMD and Intel could have their separate rating.

Also, Crysis may not be everyone's nightmare. And I am guessing they will put DirectX10 to good use to make things *faster* for a change, not slow things down (foliage should really like DX10's reduced overhead and the need for less draw calls), and DX9 version should be playable while looking good on today's high end DX9 cards. That's my guess.

BTW, I always hated Oblivion. It seems to be one unoptimized hog.

10. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

hesido.... that would never work, not even close to working, so far from working its a joke.

11. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Yup. Even if done well it would be accurate for probably all of a week or two at best.

12. hesido

Regular

LOL, you may be right. I am being optimistic. But when you optimize a game for the e6300 and 7600gt combo, aside from varying ram speeds and different mobos, wouldn't your game run real well on e6400 and 7900gt? Well then, there is AMD with both the gfx and cpu's. It's already getting complicated, eheh.

But isn't there some bell curve at specific price points? There's a lot of useful info on steam surveys. All steam users are gamers and they reflect a good deal about gaming community. Even if unofficial, game studios should care about those stats.

13. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

The problem is what people want to do with their computer, where they bought their computer from, etc. A real gaming rig puts more value into the graphics card, therefore a more typical gaming rig right now that is on a budget would consist of a E6300 and possibly a 8800GTS. While a much more typical OEM system in the same price range is likely to have a E6600 and a 8600GT, a slightly faster (much double the price) CPU paired with a significantly slower graphics card (but half the price). Therefore you have two rather different systems that are in the same exact price point, therefore optimizing for that price point isn't truly possible, and giving a specific setting for that price point is not beneficial because you should be detecting and adjusting per hardware component anyway.

A number system is the best way to do it, if you wish to be simple on the consumer end. The problem with a number system though is that it must be always updated and really the scale can only provide a rough idea. The basics are there in Vista now for this, but I'm truly doubtful that Microsoft will continue to update this so that its useful in the long run.

14. Cypher

Newcomer

Vista has a hardware rating system. Is that good enough?

15. crystall

Newcomer

Bethesda has a reputation of writing some of the most un-optimized stuff around. Back when Morrowind came out it basically sucked on everthing money could buy.

16. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

I actually couldn't disagree more. For me the PC platform is attractive precisely because it pushes the graphical boundries. The moment it takes a step back from that and is happy to sit alongside consoles for the rest of that console generation is the moment I give up PC gaming.

For me, ID just became boring. I mean, why should I be excited that my £1000 gaming PC with twice the power of either next gen console gets exactly the same content as a £300 console? It can handle more, I paid for more, I want more!

17. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

+1 QFT couldn't have said it better myself!

#17 Neb, Jul 16, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2007
  18. karlotta

karlotta pifft
    Veteran

Yeah i like spending HOURS setting up my settings for PC games, to get them to run at 20fps with my uber rig, heck i have so much time to play and all.... there is no better way to spend your Saturday morning, that tweak the hell out of your game/card to have a choppy multi game experience.... But really its about fun, and if the game runs "ok" on my CF/xtreem C2D bla bla rig then fine, but a new game that is fun and runs great well..... You need both, the games that push and the games that scream. But i thought ID was boring around the "Hell" level three years ago...

19. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Doesn't sound like a uber rig but instead as a low-end rig... time to uppgrade? :wink:

20. NocturnDragon

Regular

Same content doesn't mean same LOD, AA level, AF level, quality of post processing filtering, shadow samples and so on. It just mean that the levels, sounds, textures and meshes are the same.

So on your 1500 € PC you can use 8xaa 16af, 16 samples shadow mapping, 2560xwhatever resolution, etc. A combination you surely cannot use on a console.

It just means that artists don't have to create ad hoc assets for the various platforms.