Ideal PS3 output thread *spinoff

joker454

Veteran
Mod : This thread has been moved from the Neverending Upscaling etc. thread as it's veered off topic.

Do you even have a 1080p-native television? Why would you set your XMB to 1080p if your TV is 720p-native anyway?

Blu-ray movies look better on my 720p plasma when I leave the PS3 at 1080p, compared to setting it at 720p.

+1. i leave all the resolutions checked that my TV supports. with my older 720p TV, i checked 1080i as well, and blu-ray movies look slightly better.

I've done a whole bunch of comparisons, and if your TV does 1366x768, then 720p gives you the best quality just about always. I'm fairly sure of that. Almost none of those TVs accept 1080p, and 1920x1080i scaled to 720p really doesn't look as good as 1280x720p.

PS3 doesn't output 1366x768, and if your TV doesn't accept 1080p and downscale itself, which most don't, then what you suggest isn't an option.

Anyway, is xmb even a complete 3D application? Or just at some features like photo viewer 3D slideshow or something like that?

Have you ever looked into applications with which you can create your own themes on the PS3? That should answer one or two questions.

@jandlecack: our point being that that is a really, really big IF.

Have you ever looked into applications with which you can create your own themes on the PS3? That should answer one or two questions.

Sounds as if you know the answer. Why not giving a short answer then, instead of counterquestioning?

@jandlecack: our point being that that is a really, really big IF.

There are a lot of sub 1080p displays out there which are able to receive and downscale 1080p to their native (and smaller) display resolution and with the feature to deactivate overscan. Yes, there are a lot of sub 1080p displays which are not able to do that, too. And yes, it maybe is a 'if'. But it's not as big as you are suggesting. And almost all of them are looking better at scaling down 1080p, than scaling up 720p. Only exception would maybe be native 720p on a native 1280 x 720 display without overscan (1:1 display). And that's a bigger 'if', as there are some projectors and almost no TVs in this case.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Arwin: Actually,...modern LCDs below 37in, often 40/42in, that are "1080p capable", only have a 1366x768 pixel display but accept a 1080p signal to downscale. They are still sold as 1080p panels because the manufacturers know you can't tell a difference visually...

@Arwin: Actually,...modern LCDs below 37in, often 40/42in, that are "1080p capable", only have a 1366x768 pixel display but accept a 1080p signal to downscale. They are still sold as 1080p panels because the manufacturers know you can't tell a difference visually...

That is not only the fact on lcd, but on plasma, dlp and so on, too. And it is not limited to a specific screen size or specific sub 1080p display resolution. Furtheremore they are usually not sold as 1080p 'panel' nor as 'full hd' or something like that. But it is true that there are more sub 1080p displays out there than Arwin is suggesting, that are able to receive 1080p and downscale it, just as said before.

They are still sold as 1080p panels because the manufacturers know you can't tell a difference visually...

There is a difference, even if there maybe are some people that can't see or tell it. But this is another topic.

Well that must be a really big difference with Europe then - I'm pretty sure 768p screens that accept 1080p rather than 1080i is really not common here yet. And when I bought my own screen a year ago, they literally didn't exist in Europe, and I'm 100% sure of that. Being able to deal with the amount of data that a 1080p signal offered through HDMI was still very expensive to build into panels. I'm also pretty sure 768p panels that can handle a 1080p signal will never be sold as Full HD here because that would probably be illegal. ;)

@user: well I haven't built themes myself yet, so I'm not 100% sure myself - just that the anwser is lying right there for you to take. ;) I'm guessing though that the icons on the XMB are still bitmaps. And I personally wouldn't be surprised if they were in fact not scaled at all, because they increase in size as resolution decreases. But again, that's something answered once you know the size of the original bitmaps that are used in the theme.

Well that must be a really big difference with Europe then - I'm pretty sure 768p screens that accept 1080p rather than 1080i is really not common here yet. And when I bought my own screen a year ago, they literally didn't exist in Europe, and I'm 100% sure of that.
I do think a lot has changed in the last year, and 1080p input support is probably reasonably common. My TV/monitor has it, but it is also a 1680x1050, so would require it. None of this changes the fact that most TV sets out there already don't support 1080p input. A new tech becoming available doesn't suddenly upgrade the existing hardware base! There's no point saying to a 1366x768 panel owner "use 1080p and have your set downscale it" if the set can't, and at this point in this generation, I think most can't.

I do think a lot has changed in the last year, and 1080p input support is probably reasonably common. My TV/monitor has it, but it is also a 1680x1050, so would require it. Noen of this changes the fact that most TV sets out there already don't support 1080p input. A new tech becoming available doesn't suddenly upgrade the existing hardware base!

Yes, I know that computer screens with 1680x1050 or better resolutions support this often, but I thought we were discussing 768p displays. Things could have changed recently though I'm sure, but I check the stores at least every three months (though maybe it's been longer than that - now that I have a kid ...), so it must have been a recent development then! And yes, there's still the fact that this will still be a very small percentage of all 768p screens out there. Most people buy proper 1080p screens now.

Blu-ray movies look better on my 720p plasma when I leave the PS3 at 1080p, compared to setting it at 720p.

I totally agree on the blu-ray point. Games like GT5p and MGS4 look much much better when output as 1080p into my 768p plasma as well. I was actually surprised at how much worse GT5p looked in 720p despite the 4XAA vs 2XAA in 1080p mode.

Yes, I know that computer screens with 1680x1050 or better resolutions support this often, but I thought we were discussing 768p displays. Things could have changed recently though I'm sure, but I check the stores at least every three months (though maybe it's been longer than that - now that I have a kid ...), so it must have been a recent development then! And yes, there's still the fact that this will still be a very small percentage of all 768p screens out there. Most people buy proper 1080p screens now.

Going a bit OT here but there are now quite a few sub 40" 1366x768 LCD's which accept 1080p signals now. I was quite supprised when I looked at buying a new TV a couple of months ago. Especially the newer models from Sony/ Panasonic/ Samsung.

Well, I did some research here, and actually the majority of 32" screens are now 1080p proper, so things are moving very quickly.

Yes, many of the top of the range 32's from the major manufacturers are now full HD and the lesser models do tend to accept 1080p, some even accept 1080p24!

I think this must be quite a recent trend as this time last year I'm sure there wasn't many which could accept 1080p.

Regardless of display/output resolution, set the player to the highest resolution the TV will accept for incoming.

Well that must be a really big difference with Europe then - I'm pretty sure 768p screens that accept 1080p rather than 1080i is really not common here yet.

No, that's wrong. In fact europe was meant. Anyway, sub 1080p displays become less and less, so this:

Most people buy proper 1080p screens now.

is likely correct.

I'm also pretty sure 768p panels that can handle a 1080p signal will never be sold as Full HD here because that would probably be illegal. ;)

As already said, that should usually be the case. Nevertheless, 'Full HD' doesn't really have to mean anything. But 'HD ready 1080p' has to.

but I thought we were discussing 768p displays.

The discussion is about sub 1080p displays ;). The majority of them is likely 768p.

Regardless of display/output resolution, set the player to the highest resolution the TV will accept for incoming.

As already said, that will almost everytime give you the best looking picture with rare exceptions like this:

Only exception would maybe be native 720p on a native 1280 x 720 display without overscan (1:1 display).

I have to say , I have a philips 42pfl5322 or something like that. I think my tv is a proper 1080P tv eventough it shouldnt be.

I can set my tv to 1080p with my ps3 and doing so, it fits full hd resolution pictures nicely fullscreen and also lower resolution movies on their native resolution look smaller then compared to playing them back when ps3 is set to 720p.

so what about that? :smile:

Back