id jaguar question

Was the jaguar the only console id ever ported a game for, until the x360?

If yes, was the reason b/c atari was very generous with giving back to the community during the jag days and paid id a shitload of money to port doom and wolf 3d?

I know that the tramiels or at least the father, jack, had irresponsibly accumulated so much money prior to the jag, according to the 1st quarter by steven l kent, published in 1999-y2k which said some dude that knew them named al alcorn (or something like that, and that name also seems familiar from david kushner's masters of doom, and iirc, that was who the young men who founded id worked for at softdisk before they hauled ass with mad equipment to start id.) If it wasn't the softdisk guy was al alcorn it was some other guy named al. It's been 5.5 years since i purchased and read masters of doom. it's been in my closet ever since. it was a great book.

I know atari liked to file big lawsuits, and they even won sometimes. So i know they had a lot to spend from the lawsuits they won.

I think that the media gave the tramiels too much shit though, and that wasn't right b/c of all the personal trauma Jack suffered early in his life.

Also, does anyone know if john carmack was close friends with the tramiels? I thought maybe they might have been since they both had ties to al alcorn and they were both of polish descent, or so i assume, since carmack's father was named stan and that's a polish name, if i'm not mistaken.

There was a Quake 3 for PS2 [and Q1 for ps1]
5356.jpg

Few days ago they released Q3 for symbian phones [only the top line models]! Network support, bluetooth mouse & keyboard support, graphick same as in PC version.

i was 100% sure that it was q1 version fr psx but it seems like my mind is playing tricks on me it was realased for saturn not psx.

Was the jaguar the only console id ever ported a game for, until the x360?

What exactly do you mean by this? If you mean an id property appearing on a console there have been lots, starting with the SNES (Wolf3D, DOOM) through the Orcs & Elves for the DS.

If you meant someone from id directly working on console hardware for a game that was eventually released, then this is probably correct.

What exactly do you mean by this? If you mean an id property appearing on a console there have been lots, starting with the SNES (Wolf3D, DOOM) through the Orcs & Elves for the DS.

If you meant someone from id directly working on console hardware for a game that was eventually released, then this is probably correct.
That actually wasn't the best website comparing versions of doom. i can re-find and provide a link to the most comprehensive one if anyone would like, but only at a request.

Actually, now my revised question is "is the jag the only system id has ever completely ported a game to except publishing?"

that was what I originally meant to ask, now that you prompted me.

I know that id helped sega do the 32x one and also midway to do the ps1 one; i know that midway worked on the development of the ps1 one; i know the saturn one was worked on by rage iirc; the super nes one was developed by sculptured s/w; the gba ones were worked on by dap and tortus games; the 3do one was done by art data and logisys or something like that; that leaves me to believe that the jag was the only system id ever completely ported a game to without other development help

(atari published the jag version, but I don't know if they had any hand in porting it other than some atari employees' requests, so that's why i'm asking=)

I've played and owned every version of the original doom except the saturn, xbox, and gba ones. I have to admit, the remixed sound track of the 3do version really stood out, but I'd say I liked the 32x one the least by far. I got used to the constant stuttering of the 3do one.

I hadn't known that the red squares in the super nes version that fall out when an enemy is being shot was due to censorship. I thought it was just a tech limitation. Mortal kombat 3 came out just one month later in 1995, and so I'd have to say nintendo's censorship policy has been very inconsistent. Sega's was kind of, back in the day. Even sony's was since the ps 2 had the censored clean version of BMX XXX.

Nah they actually did Wolf3D for the SNES and some of the things Carmack learned from that was later used in DooM.

For fun see also: Super Noahs Ark 3D

Back