iD games now on Steam

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by willardjuice, Aug 4, 2007.

1. willardjuice

willardjuice super willyjuice
    Moderator Veteran Alpha

Thought this was fairly significant news. $63 dollars for all iD games is very tempting, but I don't think I could possibly play through all those games. Must resist the temptations of Steam... :wink:

2. Davros

Legend

bah no Heretic 2

3. Red Herring

Newcomer

Cool even Commander Keen is there, ah the memories of playing that on a 386 :grin:

4. D3v0ur3r

Regular

So does this mean if you play Q3 or D3 you will need to authorize old copies with Steam in the not to distant future?

5. Davros

Legend

lets hope valve/id remedy this and hopefully donate some cash/hardware to the dosbox team for making this all possible

6. fallguy

Veteran

Its not "iD"... just fyi.

7. Rainbow Man

Veteran

It doesn't seem possible to register the CD key for your old id games and re-download them via Steam.. I just tried it with Castle Wolfenstein purely for kicks.

IOr maybe I'm just doing it the wrong way?
    Peace.

8. mito

mito beyond noob
    Veteran

no quake IV.............

9. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha

I think the reasoning for that is Quake IV is not an "id Software" game. Then again, neither were some of those other ones, right?

10. Davros

Legend

right the quake 1+2 mission packs wernt id
    and the hexen / heretic games were raven
    and return to wolfenstein was developed by grey matter

11. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

Do people seriously think id and Valve used Dosbox in a commercial way without any authorization from the developers behind Dosbox? I'd be amazingly shocked if that was the case and I'm almost certain its not.

Either way, this isn't to bad of a deal really. Its in a nice package and works, I'd say a price of $50~$40 would have been more reasonable but nevertheless I'm sure people are happy about this.

12. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

That's what the DosBox developers have said if you follow all the various links and see their official forum postings. The DoxBox authors didn't know anything about this until it was brought to their attention by one of their beta testers who instantly recognised the cut-down DosBox he saw when starting the Steam versions of ID's games.

While the DosBox developers say that ID can use DosBox in commercial products, they are not allowed to removed the files (such as COPYING.TXT and others) that have been removed, and so have breached the licence under which they are allowed to use DosBox. Various functionality has been stripped, including the stuff you need to set up sound and music properly. Other things have been changed, and the sources have not been made available as per the licence.

#13 Bouncing Zabaglione Bros., Aug 6, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2007
  13. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

Well, that is very shocking and really pretty damn low on the part of id... So, the purposely did this and expected no one to notice? Seems awfully weird...

14. _xxx_

Banned

I already have them all besides Keen. But maybe I'll still buy this, I find Steam very comfortable and convenient for my needs.

15. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

most glaringly using DOSbox to run doom is the stupidest way to do it. I wonder how does 320x200 look on a 20 or 22" LCD, there are a shitload of ports and you can use software rendering to remain faithful to the original. There could have been deathmatch and coop over Steam, or why not a software midi synth with custom soundfonts to make the music sound phenomenal. And on top of that it's probably more demanding than quake 3 on older computers.
    There's still the possibility of an update though.

Can you browse servers for the quake games in Steam?

16. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

I still can run Half-Life v1110 with CS 1.5 fine, and there's no legal or technical reason I should not ;)

17. Rainbow Man

Veteran

A bit fuzzy. A CRT would show much sharper pixels (but only 200 pixels vertyical would likely show rather fat scanlines). So it's an either-or situation with regards to display quality..

Obviously this is a pure moneygrub from id's part. Doing the bare minimum required to get the game working anfd NOTHING more.

Kind of like Carmack's fascination with cell phone games (little development work needed; high profit margin) and resistance against multicore CPUs.

Seems he prefers money to simply slide down into his pocketbook on its own without having to take any actions himself.

As I already own the Ultimate Doom collector's edition on CD I feel no need to buy an inferior version via Steam but I might actually consider buying RtCW and some of the other newer games just for the sake of convenience. I haven't decided yet.

I'm not particulary fond of steam myself. That they can shut down access to the stuff I've paid for remotely if they feel I breach their fucking license agreement for example isn't something I condone of for example.

But still it is convenient.. Kind of drug-like in nature. Has a certain attraction to it, but wiht negatives ide effects. :cool:

Peace.

18. Davros

Legend

To be fair to id they probably handed the porting to a 3rd party

The thing with carmack is he prefers the simpler type of gameplay we had years ago

and why no Heretic 2 that game rocked plus its activision like a lot of the other games so i cant see it being a licencing issue

19. kyleb

Veteran

It doesn't look like any real porting was done for the realeases though. Just the orignal versions of the games with stripped down versions of DOSBox set up to run the old ones.