IBM officially announces PowerXCell 8i (DP-enhanced 65nm Cell)

Discussion in 'CellPerformance@B3D' started by one, May 13, 2008.

1. one

one Unruly Member
    Veteran

2. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

I'm wondering how this compares to current, or near current x86. In anands test of Nehalem its pulling 18fps in 1080p encoding.

http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3326&p=6

When taking into account the modest clock speed of the Nehalem, the unoptimised/buggy platform its running on and the fact that its encoding 1080p rather that 720p, isn't it likely that a full blown production model could also achieve the above feat?

3. Carl B

Carl B Friends call me xbd
    Moderator Legend

It's a very different situation; here, Cell is taking YUV420 data (rather than MPEG-2 in the Anand tests) and compressing and streaming - in real time - to H.264720p at 3Mbps... which is a hell of a lot of compression probably from the original size, and no doubt done at superb quality levels.

The stuff Anandtech is testing is consumer apps on the desktop; this performance here deals with professional encoding for broadcast purposes. It's worlds apart (though I read Anand's tests yesterday and am looking forward to the chip).

4. ADEX

Newcomer

In theoretical figures yes, but most processors can't even get close to their theoretical figures, and in DP work they're miles away from it - Cell is unusual in that it can get very close.

Berkley University posted some figures a couple of years back comparing the original Cell to a range of processors on DP loads. It beat the others by 5-30X, this is astonishing considering how weak the DP capabilities are on the original Cell.

The 8 cores systems have to catch the original Cell first, they're nowhere near the new one.

5. one

one Unruly Member
    Veteran

18fps is the figure from the MPEG2 encoding test, the following "x264 Encoding with AutoMKV" is more relevant though it's just marginally so as the source data is unknown quality.

EDIT: It seems CodecSys is a bit more complex system than plain H.264, specifically engineered for professional broadcast.
    http://www.investorvoices.com/bcst/2008-0412

#25 one, Jun 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2008