IBM cell developer Blog

Some cool things from the site.

3D Gaming
This would make watching TV a lot more like playing a video game.
Feeding such a device would require a huge amount of real-time processing to reconstruct the 3D scenes on the capture and delivery side. Once the data has been received by the viewing device I don’t think it would be a very difficult to render. In fact I think the PS3 could handle such a task given enough network bandwidth.

Cell Servers helping Handhelds
We have conducted experiments in our lab where Cell servers were used to feed wireless handheld visual devices (PDAs). We found that we could software render and compress hundreds of frames per second using only a single Cell processor. The limiting factor became how many compressed frames we could push across the 802.11b wireless link. The prototype handheld system encoded the user’s inputs (GPS, Digital compass, Joystick, etc.) and shipped them to the Cell server where the software renderer rendered the correct 3D view of the world, compressed the resulting 2D image and delivered it back to the handheld client. With simple JPEG like compression and 802.11b wireless we were able to deliver 15 frames/sec to the handheld device. Given this result I believe that with Cell SMP servers and more aggressive compression, like H.264, persistent world 3D online games could be played with very low power handheld clients. These handheld clients would not need power hungry 3D GPUs or large amounts of memory, instead they would only need to decompress and display streams of 2D images. Why send megabytes of 3D geometry to handheld gaming devices for storage and processing and then constantly update it every frame when the server can compute and send the finished 5KB frame?

Cells Physics possiblilities
I’m curious as to what people thing about the importance of realistic physical simulation in next-gen gameplay. Sony was very interested in improving gameplay with better physics in the next gen console. We conducted an assessment of rigid body dynamics on the Cell and were very pleased with the results, but I think rigid body is only the tip of the iceberg. Simulation of a variety of material such as cloth will be enabled by Cells compute power and memory subsystem. I think this may provided added dimensions to gameplay e.g. grabbing of uniforms when playing sports games. The recent post in Gamasutra seems to suggest that Sony believes phyiscs is important enough to include in the PS3 SDK.

Raytracing and Raycasting using the CELL
First let me introduce myself. My name is Barry Minor and I have been on the Cell processor project since the fall of 2000. Before Cell I developed 3D graphics processors for IBM and Diamond under the FireGL brand.

Cell has been a great project and from the beginning we have focused the architecture around graphics and video processing. Once we had the architecture locked down I started writing a real-time ray-caster for Cell optimized around height-maps. As the design of the renderer progressed it became very apparent that Cell was not just good but stellar at such tasks. We found that we could ray-cast 720P images (1280×720) of complex scenes at frame rates greater than 30 frames/sec with a single Cell processors (50x a G5 VMX processor) and double that rate with a two way SMP configuration. Cell has the potential to move a new class of previously off-line rendering algorithms to real-time speeds thereby pushing us beyond polygon rasterization.

I think you will initially see hybrid approaches where backgrounds are rendered with ray-casting and foregrounds are rendered with GPU rasterized polygons but with the focus of people like Philipp Slusallek full blown real-time ray-tracing on Cell will be a reality.
Comments (2)

Thx for the link!
It seems IBM really has a comprehensive interest toward the gaming market as the next technology driver where all of their expertise in IC design and networking service can be exercised.

one said:
Thx for the link!
It seems IBM really has a comprehensive interest toward the gaming market as the next technology driver where all of their expertise in IC design and networking service can be exercised.
Probably b/c gaming allows them to sell chips in high volumes on a fairly comfortable life cycle. It's good to know that Cell is more than a vendor project to them. PEACE.

MechanizedDeath said:
Probably b/c gaming allows them to sell chips in high volumes on a fairly comfortable life cycle. It's good to know that Cell is more than a vendor project to them. PEACE.
Yep, IIRC GameCube Gekko sells more than Mac PowerPC :LOL:

Back