IBM: Cell chip in PS3 underutilized

Discussion in 'CellPerformance@B3D' started by luke76, Feb 21, 2007.

1. luke76

Newcomer

IBM: Cell chip in PS3 underutilized
    February 20, 2007 9:01 PM PST
    Add to your del.icio.usdel.icio.us Digg this storyDigg this

IBM and Vivendi Games are teaming up to discuss just how underutilized the Cell Broadband Engine (B.E.)is that currently comes in the PlayStation 3 gaming console.

To address the issue, engineers from IBM and developers from Vivendi Games will gather at Vivendi's High Moon Studios in Carlsbad, Calif., for a two-day "jam session" beginning Wednesday, according to IBM. Software development platform provider RapidMind, also an IBM Cell blade customer, will also take part in the conference. (IBM Cell blades use the same microprocessor as PS3s.)

"This is really targeted toward game developers on what the Cell/B.E. can be in the future for online first-person shooters and advanced role-playing games, and moving the gaming experience closer to Second Life in the online world," said Liang.

The Cell, developed jointly by IBM, Sony and Toshiba, offers fast processing for online multimedia entertainment such as wireless downloads, video chat and interactive TV, according to IBM.

"The Cell/B.E. enables game developers to deliver a richer visual experience--to take a game and make it more like a movie," said Liang. "Whether or not people want that is for them to decide, but the Cell/B.E engine allows you to do that with the real-time response time you need to make that a reality."

http://news.com.com/2061-10791_3-6160790.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-5&subj=news

it takes time to see what ps3 is capable :(

2. archie4oz

archie4oz ea_spouse is H4WT!
    Veteran

Is this really news?

3. Titanio

Legend

Well it's kind of interesting that IBM is motivated enough to go out themselves and help game developers even though they've zero responsibility there - usually such stuff would be orchestrated by SCE (?) I guess they feel Cell is still as much their baby, even if the product (PS3) is Sony's.

4. ATI-liens

Newcomer

It's so underutilized because utilizing it will cost Devs more money for such little difference.

I think that is fair and obvious to say.

If this Cell was such amazing technology im sure more companies would jump on the "full utilization" bandwagon.

5. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

I think the biggest news is IBM telling devs how to write games! How many games have IBM ever produced? :shock:

6. Titanio

Legend

Yet it was developers who requested this..

"Full utilisation" isn't just something a company decides to aim for, it takes a little thing called time regardless of your level of motivation.

It is 'under-utilised' because the system is only out. It will be the end of the generation before we see the best of its potential..obviously!

#6 Titanio, Feb 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2007
  7. idsn6

Regular

8. -tkf-

Legend

Bit farfetched isn´t it?

Bobbler likes this.
  9. Panajev2001a

Veteran

Intel telling people about writing C/C++ code, how many games has Intel ever produced? :shock:
    (note: Intel makes the fastest x86 C/C++ compiler and optimizing tools)

IBM would be helping in the software engineering and performance analysis and optimization of titles running on the CELL Broadband Engine platform. They SHOULD have some clue ;).

Bobbler likes this.
  10. ATI-liens

Newcomer

So you're saying the developers are not utilizing the Cell because they are sill learning how to?

11. Carl B

Carl B Friends call me xbd
    Moderator Legend

Of course.

12. patsu

Legend

Those guys... I'm sure they will attempt to close a few XLC compiler sales. ;-)

EDIT: Sorry... the conference just smells more like an IBM sales and marketing event to me.

#12 patsu, Feb 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2007
  13. fearsomepirate

fearsomepirate Dinosaur Hunter
    Veteran

I just had a flashback to Night Trap.

14. ATI-liens

Newcomer

IBM have been supporting devs, and there have made them all aware of the do's, don'ts especially "optimization" methods.

Not only game devs but other businesses and individuals who use the cell. And it's very interesting to see what other cell users say despite not needing it for vector use.

The way most game developers talk about the cell it sounds like they almost know everything about it.

It's just a wise choice to not spend a ridiculous budget on a new console when making a game, and especially a console that its currently off from it's target sales (I'm not trolling just stating facts).

I'm scared to talk now, after all this "troll" calling

I think i will call it a day.

15. Magnum PI

Veteran

It just makes sense, escpecially the end.

Can cell be cost-competitive with specialized chips that handles the demanding task in set-top boxes or media player ?

16. patsu

Legend

Yeah... knowing and doing are 2 different things. Guess that's where IBM feels they have a pitch to come in.

Btw, what facts are you stating ? :) Some of the points you mentioned (e.g., Lacking double precision in SPE) are not really valid concerns.

#16 patsu, Feb 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2007
  17. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

News must so slow these days.

How is this not common sense? Of course Cell is not being fully utilized yet, it is a new design after all, the PS3 has only been out for a very short time, the tools for development at this point are not that great, etc. Look at any processor or game console...... ever. Do you see the best looking games at launch? No! It takes time, money, and most importantly experienceament (that's experience through experimentation).

Not surprised at all that IBM would be helping either if asked or even on their own want. Cell is very much one of their babies and just as much as Sony they need Cell to look good, and grow and have the experience out there. The more that know how to get performance out of Cell the better for IBM, be it game development or scientific application.

*Replace PS3 with your console of choice, replace Cell with your processor of choice, it all applies the same.

18. inefficient

Veteran

19. Fafalada

Veteran

There is a significant difference between "knowing" something, and "using" that knowledge to fully utilize the hardware in a commercial product. And by and far, "knowing" doesn't just directly translate to utilization in ANY hardware - that's why we have profiling and other tools, among other things.

Programming has Not been the reason for ridiculous budgets for most of last generation already, and its contribution to budget is only getting smaller with time.

It still takes time to get there. And that's ignoring the fact that most companies in the world are NOT ID Software with virtually unlimited timelines/budgets for technology development.

20. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

:lol: :lol: :lol: that's a very good one. Is that for Duke?

Heh, Never seen that many claims. Also we many times see contradictory claims about the Cell.

Also your arguement that it's wiser not to spend ridiculous budget on a new console making a game is probably an indication why developers dont know as well the Cell proccesor. They need to spend time developing on something to know it better otherwise its like knowing nothing. They prefer going to a more familiar platform with a bigger userbase. Guess which that is ;)