I won right to buy the PS4 20th Anniversary Edition, What should i do with it?

orangpelupa

Elite Bug Hunter
Legend
Just like the title, i already have a PS4 filled with digital games. games cant be transferred (must redownload). But i win the PS4 20th, what should i do with it?

after dicussing with friends and families, currently in a clash between:
- keep it intact in a box as a collection <-- personally i want this :D
- use it to play and sell the old black-PS4.
- sell the 20th PS at ridiculous price and be fine it it will take months or years to be sold.
- sell the 20th PS at premium price.

WOW!!

Simply WOW

Keep it in the box new sealed. That thing will be worth A LOT. And when I say a LOT, I mean....

A LOT

in the future.

It is going to be a superb collector's item

If I didn't have a PS4 already I would have unpacked it and used it as a regular system. Since I do in fact have one already I'm not entirely sure what to do actually; probably keep it in its box and wait for my original PS4 to break down, then unpack it and use it. :)

Not sure I buy into the idea of the 20th anniversary edition as some kind of desireable future collector's item, I think the market for that will be really small, and it seems a lot of people are having this idea already, so supply of consoles will be high, keeping demand and prices low. :p

If I didn't have a PS4 already I would have unpacked it and used it as a regular system. Since I do in fact have one already I'm not entirely sure what to do actually; probably keep it in its box and wait for my original PS4 to break down, then unpack it and use it. :)

Not sure I buy into the idea of the 20th anniversary edition as some kind of desireable future collector's item, I think the market for that will be really small, and it seems a lot of people are having this idea already, so supply of consoles will be high, keeping demand and prices low. :p
That's true of all collectibles. If you think something's worth collecting, other people will too, and they'll keep theirs devaluing yours, making one question the value of not using it. But then, decades later, collectibles still go for a song. I saw an advert for an internet story saying "toys worth thousands" and it showed a mass-produced He-Man figure I owned (although I didn't have the cat). But then, that wasn't a collectible.

Then look at other devices like various old computers. I mean little known ones like the Oric 1, making them rare. They don't go for a lot of money. Nor do mass-produced, popular old computers.

Sooner or later, a perfect PS4 anniversary edition will be worth a lot of money. But that might be a hundred years from now. As an investment, it's a gamble. If you sell it now, you get that money guaranteed. If you keep it, or give it, you know it'll have its life-time of giving fun to someone.

There is one tiny difference. There are only a few thousand available worldwide.
It will be worth a lot much much sooner. All video game collectibles are less than 30 years old.
This one is already a rarity.

or give it
nope nope nope :p i wont give it because it took me hundreds of dollars to get it.
i only win the "right to buy PS4 20th". its the price for 1st-place winners from Sony's contest. and Sony sold it as 200 dollar premium compared to non 20th PS4.

i was like, YAY! OMG I WIN when they called me. Then "frown face" the whole time after they remind me how much it will cost blah blah blah.

@Nesh
in the mean time.. i think ill simply keep it in the box.

There are only a few thousand available worldwide.
20k units, I think it was. Not exactly a super small production run... Also, it's a PS4. There's 20 million PS4s out there already. So it has a slightly custom shell, so what. :p

It will be worth a lot much much sooner.
Maybe. Maybe not. It's only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it. There's no intrinsic value in a piece of mass-produced electronics, no law of nature that says it will become valuable anytime soon. In less than 30 years' time it will be a curiosity amongst a sea of other PS4 units still sitting in peoples' cupboards. Collectibles need to become nostalgic to people before they truly appreciate in value, and that takes about a generation's worth of time; from when people who were kids when this thing was around to when they themselves have gathered disposable income and started having kids of their own. Then they're reminded of what they loved when they were young and desire those things all over again.

All video game collectibles are less than 30 years old.
Apple 1 says hello... ;)

20k units, I think it was. Not exactly a super small production run... Also, it's a PS4. There's 20 million PS4s out there already. So it has a slightly custom shell, so what. :p

Maybe. Maybe not. It's only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it. There's no intrinsic value in a piece of mass-produced electronics, no law of nature that says it will become valuable anytime soon. In less than 30 years' time it will be a curiosity amongst a sea of other PS4 units still sitting in peoples' cupboards. Collectibles need to become nostalgic to people before they truly appreciate in value, and that takes about a generation's worth of time; from when people who were kids when this thing was around to when they themselves have gathered disposable income and started having kids of their own. Then they're reminded of what they loved when they were young and desire those things all over again.
20K units among tenths or close to a hundred of millions that will be sold globally during the console's lifetime will be a tiny fraction.
Collectibles dont need to have intrinsic value. It is wrong to compare them with the mass produced product or for features that add extra utility. A casing doesnt add utility and it doesnt need to. It is an official release in small quantities sold uniquely. Collector's value doesnt follow the same logic as when purchasing an everyday product As it is, the Anniversary edition was enough to make people pay extra and spend lots of hours to get into the list. Its far from being the procedure that people are willing to go through to purchase a normal PS4 from store or to buy a cheap custom casing. It is very hard to obtain and more expensive. Thats a good enough indication that this product has good chance to become collector's item. It is already sold at crazy prices on ebay
There are countless gaming items of great collector's value that are even less than 20 years old.
Apple 1 says hello..
Time never stops. What has been collectible will remain collectible.
The same will count in some decades for the same items that became collectible in less than 30 years.

nope nope nope :p i wont give it because it took me hundreds of dollars to get it.
Well, I guess the question is why you went in in the first place? Did you want to own it to play it? Or as an investment? If the latter, don't open it! Either sell it now or wait (30 years!).

^^ because its awesome piece to collect but after i win, friends and family make talks about selling it instead of collecting it :/

EDIT:
looking on ebay, people seems selling it for 1000 to 3000 USD. Wow thats a lot of money with my country currency is in slump (1 USD = 12500 IDR, while a full-meal with drinks is only 1 USD)

Well, I guess the question is why you went in in the first place? Did you want to own it to play it? Or as an investment? If the latter, don't open it! Either sell it now or wait (30 years!).
You want it dont you? ;)

I dont think he will have to wait that long. A friend of mine is younger than me, (I am 31 years old) and has many collectibles that are less his and my age. He is not selling anything though. Someone offered him 3000 Euros for his game collection and he refused
There are 3 types of people that will go for rare items
1)Those that just want to have the temporal enjoyment of owning something unique currently, without future plans.
2)Those that invest on it with the purpose of reselling at a higher price in the future
3)Collectors. For them no matter the market price at any given time, the collector's value is priceless and will never sell it.

@orangpelupa How old are you?

@Nesh how my age will matter? O_O
@novcze currently planning to sell it ridiculously expensive but i dont know how to use ebay and if it get sold, how ebay will pay me.

@Nesh how my age will matter? O_O
@novcze currently planning to sell it ridiculously expensive but i dont know how to use ebay and if it get sold, how ebay will pay me.
Out of curiosity. Depending how young you are you might be surprised at an older age about the gems you might end up with that you were never expecting to be of any value ;)

Keep it mint and sell it for a profit.
Whether it's now or in a couple of years, doesn't matter -> just keep it in mint condition at all costs.

Just like the title, i already have a PS4 filled with digital games. games cant be transferred (must redownload). But i win the PS4 20th, what should i do with it?

after dicussing with friends and families, currently in a clash between:
- keep it intact in a box as a collection <-- personally i want this :D
- use it to play and sell the old black-PS4.
- sell the 20th PS at ridiculous price and be fine it it will take months or years to be sold.
- sell the 20th PS at premium price.

Pictures please... :cool:

Back