I was in a catastrophic wreck... hardly a scratch on me

homerdog

donator of the year
Legend
Supporter
I went head to head with a full sized pickup truck at a combined 50mph in my little Honda fit. It was completely my fault and what I did was completely embarrassing at that.

Both vehicles are totalled, though mine more than his :D

Modern cars must be extremely safe if I can go through that with only bruised ribs and a bum knee. And of course if I hadn't been wearing my seatbelt I wouldn't be posting this :smile: The other guy was completely fine with physics on his side and all that.

Buckle up!

Ugh! I feel vaguely sick to my stomach just thinking about something like that. Glad you're okay! (And please, share some details of the precise reason behind your collision, okay? :))

I've been in precisely ONE car accident in my life. My dad went off the road whilst driving me home from a LARPG that me and a friend (who was also in the car when this happened) had participated in, set in a forest community some distance outside of the town where I then lived many years ago now. It'd been snowing quite heavily and the road curved strongly to the right at a particular spot, and also wasn't inclining properly. So my dad (and his car, and me, and my friend) went more or less straight ahead as the road turned away from under us. :LOL: Bam. Low-speed collision with a young tree. I think the tree handled the impact much better than the car. Me and my dad were buckled in in the front seats, I'm not sure about my friend who sat behind me, but nobody got hurt at all. Well, except for my night's sleep, which is sometimes interrupted by re-living the event, complete with my dad waking me up in the car as I was having a bit of shut-eye after the LARPG by yelling "dammit, I'm going off the road!" Lol.

Was "fun", waiting for the tow truck in the cold and the snow. Took a hell of a long time it felt like. And, we got a new, better car after that too, heh.

Glad to hear you weren't driving a Tata.

I continue to be amazed at the number of people who refuse to wear a seat belt, glad you're not among them.

Ugh! I feel vaguely sick to my stomach just thinking about something like that. Glad you're okay! (And please, share some details of the precise reason behind your collision, okay? :))

I've been in precisely ONE car accident in my life. My dad went off the road whilst driving me home from a LARPG that me and a friend (who was also in the car when this happened) had participated in, set in a forest community some distance outside of the town where I then lived many years ago now. It'd been snowing quite heavily and the road curved strongly to the right at a particular spot, and also wasn't inclining properly. So my dad (and his car, and me, and my friend) went more or less straight ahead as the road turned away from under us. :LOL: Bam. Low-speed collision with a young tree. I think the tree handled the impact much better than the car. Me and my dad were buckled in in the front seats, I'm not sure about my friend who sat behind me, but nobody got hurt at all. Well, except for my night's sleep, which is sometimes interrupted by re-living the event, complete with my dad waking me up in the car as I was having a bit of shut-eye after the LARPG by yelling "dammit, I'm going off the road!" Lol.

Was "fun", waiting for the tow truck in the cold and the snow. Took a hell of a long time it felt like. And, we got a new, better car after that too, heh.

It was embarrassing explaining it to the insurance adjuster person :oops:

I was stopped at a railroad crossing for about 30 seconds but there didn't seem to be any trains coming from any directions, so I scooted ahead to look. There was some kind of rail car down the track moving very slowly and he started honking the train horn, so I hit the gas before checking for traffic. BOOM. I was still accelerating when I hit the truck. I saw it maybe 1/5 of a second before impact, not even enough time to scream.

Hope the flag is secure :!:

Glad to hear you're ok. :oops: I'd suggest heading to the doctor if you haven't already, just in case. *shrug*

Glad you're ok!

I've had one serious accident and seven (or eight) smaller incidents in my time driving. Serious one was when I totalled Opel Zafira by driving into back of a lorry, came away with broken thumb (which I only found out about after a month of pain when walking :p) rest of them were minor bumps, T-boned, badgers, bores, banks, plastic barrels blown of passing lorries and ditches.

Sounds like a lot, but bear in mind this was over 12 years of driving with average 80k-130k Km/year (50k-80k miles per year) so statistically not bad! Only 2 of the accidents were purely my fault and luckily no one ever was hurt because of my driving!

What does combined 50mph mean? Each was going 25mph? or some combination like you did 35mph and the truck 15mph? Yeah the cars would be totalled, but modern cars can easily take such a hit and leave the passengers in great shape. Still glad that you are ok and did not have more speed, the impact forces get nastier quickly with more speed.

I was probably doing about 35 since I never braked, he was doing around 15 like you said :).

Hope the flag is secure :!:

He stuck around long enough to make sure I was okay, then stole it ftw. :devilish:

Glad to hear you're ok. :oops: I'd suggest heading to the doctor if you haven't already, just in case. *shrug*

The paramedics checked me out and all was good. I have bruised ribs for sure and some scrapes and bruises on my legs and chest, but a weekend's rest is all I need. When I wake up in the morning it takes a handful of Advil to loosen me up. It's like all my joints get stuck in position over night :???: What I really don't need are any massive hospital bills. Even with "good" health insurance, I'd be paying so much out of pocket your head would spin.. pretty sure I'll get a hefty bill just for them showing up and talking to me for three minutes.

BTW I had just listened to the Radiohead song "Airbag" before the crash :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
So bruised ribs apparently take a while to heal. Still quite sore, and it hurts to cough. Nothing broken though - I did have that confirmed.

Haven't had much to do with insurance yet, other than them providing me with a sweet rental car and telling me what I already knew, that the car was a total loss.

I had some NEC IP phones in the car when I crashed. Those phones are pretty darn durable... they were absolutely shattered to pieces :oops:

Also had a $3000 48 port POE Cisco switch in the car. It was in the box and all but I haven't grown the balls to test it yet :cry:

Pics or it didn't happen lol.

Glad you got out unscathed. I want do lucky with mine years ago but concrete walls are less forgiving than the front of cars these days lol

I broke 3-5 ribs and they still hurt to this day.

Haven't had much to do with insurance yet, other than them providing me with a sweet rental car and telling me what I already knew, that the car was a total loss.

Just needs some tessellation and CFAA to smooth out the rough edges. Really. ;)

I had some NEC IP phones in the car when I crashed. Those phones are pretty darn durable... they were absolutely shattered to pieces :oops:

Also had a $3000 48 port POE Cisco switch in the car. It was in the box and all but I haven't grown the balls to test it yet :cry:

Eek. :oops:

Keep a fire extinguisher handy when you plug in the mains cable is my suggestion... :oops: Anyway, if the outer casing of the switch looks undamaged it probably made it through unscathed. If the internal PCB flexed to the point of breaking etc there should be visible signs on the outside as well.

In case of bad luck on your part, does car/home insurance cover goods inside the car at the time of the accident?

Glad to hear you're okay homerdog. Accidents are scary shit. One of my employees just called me moments ago to tell me he'd crashed a company car in bad weather up north of here...fortunately nobody was hurt in that one either.

In case of bad luck on your part, does car/home insurance cover goods inside the car at the time of the accident?

I crashed otw to a client out of town, so the business insurance should cover it. My broken Asus T100 and NEC IP phone aren't worth a claim, but that switch sure is.

Glad you are well. Don't count on to much more from a car like that though. They only have so much crumple zone the smaller they get.
I have had 2 accidents only after driving for 14 years. The first was testosterone stupidity and no one got hurt, but a small car was ruined. The second was one of those common incidents where the right lane stops to let someone edge out and I was in the left lane tooling along. That one only scratched the corner of the bumper as I slammed the brakes in time. Anyway knock on wood and all that I guess I am due statistically given how much I drive, but I think the most likely thing is mechanical failure leading to a problem or wildlife. I have come very close to a lot of deer, elk, antelope and so on, but never yet had to hit one.

wow glad you are okay. accident are scary and but last time i had motorcycle vs car accident, i feel "fun" after suddenly openedmy eyes while got helped by traffic cop. When i arrived at 24 hours clinic to be stitched suddenly im scared.

it seems i have weird emotion lol

btw does road accident result in police problem in your country?

Back