I want a Source 2 port of Half-life with completely dynamic lighting

Yeah, stop being such Lazy Devs and get moving. Chop Chop.

Not quite the same thing. I really just want a straight up port of Half-Life: Source with dynamic lighting (and better water). Not that I honestly expect it to happen but it'd be relatively easy for Valve to do and it'd be a really nice gesture. Especially since DOTA 2 is the only thing we've seen of Source 2 so far.

DOTA2 has officially run on Source 2 since sometime in 2015
it's not available for us though. From what I understand very not ready for the masses to take and begin working with. Likely buggy and lacking documentation and or features.

Does it look any different ?
iirc lost coast had good lighting (I'm going to look silly if that was source 2 ;) )

I think he means something along the lines of deferred.
or forward+ :yes:

Grim Fandango remastered looks so good with dynamic light and shadow, and that's with its assets virtually unchanged, that I dream of how cool HL1 might look under the same circumstances.

Right now I wish Half Life 2 never existed so I wouldn't be constantly reminded of how much of a letdown it was when Valve left us with a huge cliffhanger 10 years ago.
Even worse when Gabe Newell practically says there are no more Valve games coming up.

Unless there's a "technological innovation that justifies making such games".
Yeah right.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know, I'm pretty glad Half-Life 2 exists

I'd rather "games as service" never entered anyone's mind

I'm not. HL2 was a bit of a letdown compared to Far Cry, Ep1 wasn't that great and while Ep2 kicked ass Valve decided to never finish the goddamn game.

Anyway HL source always looked a bit weird to me. Either go play the original or Black Mesa if you want modern looks.

BTW I really wonder what they do at Valve these days. Obviously not making games and I doubt they need 300+ people just to keep Steam running. By now they must all be so filthy fucking rich that its probably some Wolf of Wallstreet'esque hooker drug booze party.

I like me some Far Cry 1 but it's got nothing on HL2's encounter design or variety.

And I say that knowing how popular retrospect insight is around HL2 and its supposed weaknesses as a game. And while there's some truth it, whether I agree or not, it's also true that the first Far Cry inherited all the same weaknesses.

Back