I think the ps3 controller will be great of tony hawk

weaksauce

Regular
I'm thinking the balancing stuff will be great with it. I also think you would be able to do more tricks with it.

And motorcycle games where you have to tilt the bike in curves.

And of course flying games.

And other vehicles.

I wonder if you would grab it with one hand, like in the middle, it could be used for pong?

Also, maybe melee attacks on fps can work well with it? Hah, I like this idea.

More ideas? To be honest, I think sony steals ideas from nintendo, but they do it better. Really. :smile:

weaksauce said:
To be honest, I think sony steals ideas from nintendo, but they do it better. Really. :smile:

what?

in my honest opinion it's going to be overlooked by 99% of devs

Last edited by a moderator:
rusty said:
what?

in my honest opinion it's going to be overlookined by 99% of devs

I think it's suited for more. And the fact that it's still a controller. :smile:

I don't know though, devs usually have some wild ideas.

I think it will be a surprise to people how many developers implement the 6 axis controller. whether or not the implementation of the controller will be a gimmick or not has yet to be seen but I think it will surely show up in more games than you think.

I think a dev on the heavely sword team mentioned ideas already in mind for the controller. And then there is kojima who said he was dissapointed in the lack of rumble, but will think of ideas for the new feature. Who knows what other titles could put use to it.

That said, I think we will see it mainly in 1st/2nd party titles and little to none in 3rd party multi-platform titles.

rusty said:
what?

Why? Do you want it to be overlooked? Because it's not like the motion controller is a add-on. I mean one is in everybox just like the Wiimote.

Why add extra gameplay controls to Wii games and not PS3 games?

rusty said:
Why would it be overlooked? It' as easy to use in principle as an analogue stick and there's lots of possible uses, if not for full 6-way motion detection, at least for little extras. Any dev playing a game will likely find things they won't to do that can be mapped onto a motion. Pick a game and I'm sure someone can think of a suitable use for the motion. Except maybe Turn-based games of course.

My reason for thinking it will be overlooked is the astonishing lack of support for such controllers that have come out in the past.... and yes i know one could argue that was on account of never being shipped as part of a console before, but one could equally argue that if they were such a boon to gameply they would have taken off back then - who is to say which correct?

Those developers who do take advantage of it will most likely be first party/exclusive games for the most part, and even then i only really see it adding value (subjective i admit) to certain genres. Sure you can always find something to tag onto the motion tech rather than a stick or a button, but who is to say that's automatically an improvement? This is infact what scares me about this controller, because i really don't want things mapped to the motion sensors "for the sake of it" or "because it's there" when i would rather have them implemented normally.

As for mckmass' question of "why add extra gameplay controls to Wii games and not PS3 games?" - firstly, Wii has a much more comprehensive motion sensing technology from what we've seen and secondly that's what the entire console is built around... the devs don't really have the option to ignore it.

Geez guys, i really didn't expect to get jumped on for such an innocuous comment; i've used such controllers in the past and not cared for them as they don't really bring anything new to the table for me. My comment was merely based on my experience and my opinion, which last i checked i was perfectly entitled to....

edit - i'd just like to add my main point of disagreement was to the fact that "sony do it better", i personally don't see how their solution is an improvement upon nintendo's.

I never believe Sony did it better, but I think it would be stupid and sad if lots of devs don't use the motion technology in the PS3 controller. Like the thread starter said adding it to Tony Hawk 8 will be a great addition obviously if done right.

Most people that played Warhawk seemed to think it was done right. Some people actually said that they could pull over some flying moves with the motion tech that they wouldn't have been able to do with the dual sticks.

It's a great addition. Not as huge as Nintendo's, but at the sametime that probably wasn't Sony's goal either.

rusty said:
My reason for thinking it will be overlooked is the astonishing lack of support for such controllers that have come out in the past.... and yes i know one could argue that was on account of never being shipped as part of a console before, but one could equally argue that if they were such a boon to gameply they would have taken off back then - who is to say which correct?
Well this debate was in the other thread, but really, older attempts haven't provided the same thing. They gave you the input of an analogue stick without a base, that was rather unreliable by accounts and tired your arm. There sparcity meant they were never targetted and just replaced a conventional stick input, without trying to tie the motions into the game in realistic fashion. I don't think any has had linear motion detection either which I think could make a big deal, seeing how some people throw the current controllers around to no effect.
My comment was merely based on my experience and my opinion, which last i checked i was perfectly entitled to....
Indeed, but opinions get discussed on a discussion board. When a person posts their opinion, others will argue with it, I mean discuss. They'll politely discuss your opinion. And from that discussion people should then reconsider their opinions and whether to change them or not. All opinions are welcome, but you have to be willing to further explain them when 'challenged', as you did in this post (though I remain as yet unconvinced of your argument).

Personally I didn't see any jumping on, and certainly none was meant on my part. I was just asking questions and suggesting things to consider. :)

mckmas8808 said:
Most people that played Warhawk seemed to think it was done right. Some people actually said that they could pull over some flying moves with the motion tech that they wouldn't have been able to do with the dual sticks.

What kind of manuevers were those? Were they real or imaginary?

rusty said:

I think you hit the nail on the head with the first point. Add-ons are rarely successful, no matter how compelling. Standardisation does make all the difference in the world in terms of support.

As for dev support, pretty much every dev I've seen asked about it has said they have ideas for using it in their games.

Shifty Geezer said:
Personally I didn't see any jumping on, and certainly none was meant on my part. I was just asking questions and suggesting things to consider. :)

i was referring more to mckmas's "why? do you want it to be overlooked?" which came across as somewhat accusatory to me

as for the argument, only time will tell i suppose! :)

NANOTEC said:
What kind of manuevers were those? Were they real or imaginary?

:LOL: They were real moves man.

rusty said:
i was referring more to mckmas's "why? do you want it to be overlooked?" which came across as somewhat accusatory to me

My bad. I said that because I watched or read many devs stating that they liked what Sony did with the controller and had plans to use the motion sensoring too. I thought it was common knowledge that devs were going to use it, yet you said the complete opposite.

That's why I thought you didn't want it to be used. My apologies.

At first I didn't think the removal of rumble was that big a deal. I mean as I watched the Sony conference, motion control seemed like it was a pretty cool feature. But in the following days, after having gone back to actually playing games again, I'm not sure I could live without rumble. It let's me know when I am about to loose traction in a racing game, or when an avalanche of rocks is coming at me, or when my ship is just about to blow. I hadn't really given it much thought before, but I didn't realize how much I used it. Not convinced it was a good trade-off anymore. Just my 2 cents.

I dont think we will saw TH using it but it can add some nice features for many games, or simple making it much more enjoyable.

It will be interesting what would happen if multiplatform games, like this, didnt use it but exclusive games from the same genre use it really well that make it a must have for every game after that, it could be a way to sell more PS3 instead of XB (at least for me).

mckmas8808 said:
My bad. I said that because I watched or read many devs stating that they liked what Sony did with the controller and had plans to use the motion sensoring too. I thought it was common knowledge that devs were going to use it, yet you said the complete opposite.

That's why I thought you didn't want it to be used. My apologies.

no problemo... i was probably reading too much into it anyway.

as for your point - I am aware that several devs have expressed interest in it, but how that translates to actual implementation in real games is a whole different matter as far as i'm concerned! It wouldn't be the first time devs have had ideas that don't reach fruition.

rockster said:
I'm not sure I could live without rumble

have you tried playing without it? I did think like you, and if someone had asked me a year ago whether the removal of rumble would be annoying i would have said yes. Since getting my 360 though i turned off the rumble for the extra battery life and i really haven't missed it at all.... i will be getting the microsoft force feedback steering wheel when forza 2 comes out though (my first ever wheel!) so i do still have the love for tactile feedback ;)

Back