I think I'll be getting this camera

frontview-001.jpg

specsview.jpg

Comming out in November, Sony DSC-828
Spec outline:
8MP RGB+E CCD 2/3"
28-200mm, F2.0-2.8 Carl Zeiss lense (7.1x Optical Zoom)
Same swivel body design as the 717
640x480@30FPS until media is full (TV quality!)
Supports Memory Stick Pro, CF and Microdrive
TTL flash.. etc

Full details:
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/sonydscf828/

Other improvements noted are very fast startup time (<1sec) and very fast AF (<1/3sec). Overall speed and processing is much improved over the 717. Sure you'll get less noice with a D10 but to find a EF lense to match the quality of the Zeiss will probably cost twice as more.

I'm pretty much sold. :)

Well, it seems to be lacking alot compared to the 10D. Where's ISO1600 and 3200? Fastest shutter speed only 1/2000? No bulb exposure? (30 second max, there goes amateur astronomy photography) Probably lower quality CCD (8 megapixel for $1200 plus zeiss lens?) Is it memory stick only?

Not to mention that the 28mm-200mm lense only buys you convenience. Most people who'd spend $1000+ for prosumer camera like that would buy multiple lenses, e.g. separate wide angle and telephoto lenses. You'll get much better quality with fixed focal lengths than you'll get with zoom, not to mention lense speed. (The Zeiss maxes out at F2.0, with a 18-24mm wide angle, you'll get f1.4 to 1.8)

Not to dis it, but I think the Nikon/Canon offerings are far more polished.

Yeah, that's the advantage of the Nikon/Canon designs, they are fully digital SLRs, can you can keep your $$$ lens investments and continue upgrading the body, CCD, software, etc.

I mean, if I want to buy a Leica lens, can I get it for this Sony? What about professional macro lens?

I think DSLR is still more expensive. Although DSLR are getting less expensive, but you still need to buy lenses and other accessories (if you don't have them). DSLR + lenses/accessories can easily cost US$2,000 or more.

You might want to check out the Minolta DiMAGE A1 as well. I've read good things about it. It doesn't match the resolution of the Sony though.

This 8mp Sony looks good :)
I hope you will enjoy it a lot.

I decided to go with a good pocket DC and upgraded to the Canon S45 (4mp) camera. It is like a pocket G3.
Up to now pictures are great but I dont have much time to play with it and read the manual.

Me personally, I'll settle for this. In fact I just did, and received it today. But then I'm in a completely different user group than you. Pocketfriendlyness is an abolute must for me. Otherwise I wouldn't carry it with me, and thus not take many photos.

Congrats Basic,

The S45 and the S400 have the same CCD and image processor.
It can print double postcard size (15x20cm) with 300dpi :D

Yeah the Minolta Dimage A1 should be a real contender too. Also keep in mind that 8 MP doesn't automatically mean better picture quality as it may introduce a lot of noise too ;)

I heard the new Pentax *stD (what a stupid name) will also be on par with the Minolta.

PC-Engine said:
I heard the new Pentax *stD (what a stupid name) will also be on par with the Minolta.
Well... they couldn't decide between calling it herpes or syphilis so went for the generic.

DC:
Your view is comming from someone who already owns a lot of glass and have cash to throw around, of course the 10D is a better choice.

Buying the 10D body is feasible, but the financial cost of glass collection is simply not possible for me. For its price, I think the 828 is a pretty amazing acheivements, you see the rave reception it's getting at the dpreview forums. Anyway, I'll be waiting for final reviews to see how the RGB+E CCD deals with noise and other issues.

Back