1hr = 60m
1 day = 24hr
1 week = 24 * 7
1 month = 168 * 4 weeks
1 year = 672 * 12

Time in a year = 29030400
Time * c = 8709120000000000

That's a light year.

Most months are slightly longer than exactly 4 weeks; the year is 52 weeks, not 48, so you're off by ~8%. You do appear to have the correct order of magnitude, though.

YAY! Common sense works.
Even though some of my facts have been wrong I did the logic correct.

I think I should use common sense more often.

arjan de lumens said:
Most months are slightly longer than exactly 4 weeks; the year is 52 weeks, not 48, so you're off by ~8%. You do appear to have the correct order of magnitude, though.
Well, even better to just use 365.25 days per year (one quarter for the leap year).

LOL!
I see a thread by KILER about him using common sense, and think directly that this is a sign, the world is comming to an end. When I open the thread, IE crash hard. :D

Regarding how many days there are in a year:
What kind of year is used when defining a light year?

Julian: 365.25 days
Includes 4 year rule (leap day).

Gregorian: 365.2425 days
Includes 100 year rule, and 400 year rule.

Tropical: ~365.2422 days
Time from earths north pole tilted toward sun, until next time it happens.

Sidereal: ~365.2564 days
Same as tropical but wrt to other stars than the sun.

Well it depends how you define the length of a day...

EDIT: erm... yeah, what Basic said...

Second EDIT: Well fundamentally if you care about the difference when measuring distance then light-years aren't the thing to use, and secondly they're very passe these days, as the parsec is the unit of choice for professional astronomers.

Last edited by a moderator:
nutball said:
Second EDIT: Well fundamentally if you care about the difference when measuring distance then light-years aren't the thing to use, and secondly they're very passe these days, as the parsec is the unit of choice for professional astronomers.
Some astronomers swear by centimeters :)

Basic said:
What kind of year is used when defining a light year?
Well, according to my TI calculator it's the Tropical year. Really don't know if there's an accepted convention or not, though.

Back