I killed my XP SP2 :D

Moloch

God of Wicked Games
Veteran
Erm... so I was just about run another SS2 bench when my computer did a hard reset and now when I boot I get a bluescreen that says "Machine check exception".
Tried relaxing memory timings, upping cpu voltage (at stock speeds), taking out one dimm so its running in SC mode, using my other stick but nothing.
I understand the error means my CPU detected an unrecoverable hardware error.
I was gonna try reinstalling but the setup is stuck at "setup is starting windows"
So I guess that rules are a software problem.
er... got the repair install going.. wierd..
I cleared cmos.. I had settings stock too.. hmmf.
Typically what piece of hardware is the problem?
I've ruled out my ram I believe.
edit 2.. ok my repair installed worked but now it takes about 10 minutes to boot:eek:
It just sits for a blank screen for minutes on end and then it continues booting.
I was able to log in and launch a few programs.. but since it takes so long to boot theres obviously something wrong.
System specs: 3200+ winchester (grr.. just bought it.. and was advertised as a venice) running at stock speeds at time error occured, 1x pny 512DDR 2x corsair xms 3200, 3 hdds, 1 dvd-r, 1 promise U133 controller, 7800GT and a enermax 420 watt PSU.
damnit :devilish:

Last edited by a moderator:
Vadi said:
I'd try memtest86 for the RAM just to be sure and then I'd think you PSU's the culprit. :)
systems working now... but as I edited in it takes 10 minutes to boot.
I wouldn't blame my PSU since my 7800gt shouldn't be using much power during 2d operation.
I'm gonna blame my mobo or cpu.

Just reinstall your OS. It might be the repair inserted some weird stuff like XP starting to look for network drives/servers/printers/whatever, delaying the startup horrendously until it times out and continues to boot.

Or you might try rolling back your OS, but I don't know if a repair install would screw with that and totally mangle your OS if you try a rollback. :) Just to be sure, backup all important data to a different drive, format your OS partition, then stick in the install CD and start all over again. :p

Guden Oden said:
Just reinstall your OS. It might be the repair inserted some weird stuff like XP starting to look for network drives/servers/printers/whatever, delaying the startup horrendously until it times out and continues to boot.

Or you might try rolling back your OS, but I don't know if a repair install would screw with that and totally mangle your OS if you try a rollback. :) Just to be sure, backup all important data to a different drive, format your OS partition, then stick in the install CD and start all over again. :p
I did a repair install.
system sort of works.
Operas crashed a few times so has live for speed.
I should also note that serious sam 2 has also crashed to desktop today also.

Dust out your PC. Take the fan off your CPU and blow out the heatsink and make sure the memory & viddy card don't have dust on them as well as your northbridge.

Tahir2 said:
Another tip:

When you get the BSOD write the 0x000000xx code down and put it in Google.
thats quite impossible as it only stays for like a second.
I just was able to get the message it says- see first post.
There is zero dust in pc as I just put it together a few days ago.
Its not a heat problem.
Im gonna have to just take me pc to where I got the mobo/cpu and viddy and have them swap out components.

OK another tip when you reinstall Windows go to System Properties/Advanced/Startup and Recovery/Advanced.. and untick Automatically Restart

Tahir2 said:
OK another tip when you reinstall Windows go to System Properties/Advanced/Startup and Recovery/Advanced.. and untick Automatically Restart
Done.
As the message does not occur anymore, it just takes.. like 5 minutes to boot now.
Based on the BSOD saying before that my cpu detected any unrecoverable error perhaps I can assume the error is still occuring but it's able to recover from it?

No the same error is not occurring. It is probably an effect of the original error.

I would immediately run Chkdsk to make sure you have not developed bad sectors.
is your HDD SATA?

Tahir2 said:
No the same error is not occurring. It is probably an effect of the original error.

I would immediately run Chkdsk to make sure you have not developed bad sectors.
is your HDD SATA?
My boot drive isn't but one of my other HDDs is connected to sata via a pata-sata adapter courtesy of abit.
Last night I couldn't get it to boot either when I did a reboot.. would get stock posting.. right after the memory test.
edit- I unplugged all my drives except the boot drive and it booted without any stalls.
So I started plugging things in one by one and it still boots without stalls.
One of my HDDs wasn't showing up previous to me pulling all the power plugs out.
Wierd.

Deathlike2 said:
Actually, that sounds about right.. having a bad hard drive does make Windows funky...
Wasn't really bad though.. just loose power connector.

Back