I keep asking myself why Apple software is so terrible.

Discussion in 'Unix, Mac, & BSD (3D)' started by Grall, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Supposedly, Apple products are supposedly SO great and easy to use. Except they fking well aren't!

Like iPhoto for example. To get photos I take with my iPhone, I must use this piece of shit, because just connecting the phone via the USB cable to a computer and copying the photos would be TOO SIMPLE. No, you fucking have to "import" the pictures into some monolithic, solid piece of shit proprietary storage format called a "photo roll" (because otherwise stupid little me wouldn't understand, unless the computer tries to mimic real-life.)

I used to be able to circumvent this pathetically redundant song-and-dance routine by plugging the iPhone into a PC, but since...I dunno, some later iOS update, I can no longer see any photos in the DCIM folder. It's there, but it's showing as empty, even though there's actually 440 images in there.

So I sigh, tear at my hair and plug the phone back into my Mac and start up that infernal piece of crap that is iPhoto. First it wants to convert my library for whatever bizarre reason, and warns it will now no longer be useable by older versions. Well I never fucking asked you, nor wanted to create this library to begin with you steaming garbage pile, but alright. It also warns it may take an hour. What the shit for! Just let it stay the way it bloody well is right now! But no. It wants to, and there's no reasoning with it. At least it didn't take an hour, but still.

So now I can finally import the latest photos, and then hunt around for some way to actually be able to access my pictures. Ah. Export, okay. Still, there's gotta be some fucking catch somewhere though, right?! Export format...jpeg. What, it's gonna re-compress my photos?! Fuck that! Okay, there's an original setting here, now we're cooking. Preparing photos, it says. Just writing them out to disk it has to prepare. Fucking piece of shit... ...Aaaannnddd...GO! Lookatit, the counter's rolling!

...And then it shits its pants. After 21 images. "Unable to create /users/..." it says, and then it just sits there like the dumb shit it is, with the Cancel button being the only thing I can interact with. It doesn't explain why or nothing like that. No further information, no way to troubleshoot or anything. Just "unable to create". Fuck you Steve Jobs. I fart in the general direction of your grave.

(Btw, Steve just replied: "Maybe you're holding it wrong. /Sent from iCoffin", he said.)

So I google. Someone says this is because of missing images in the photo roll. How is that even possible! I haven't even touched that shit since I first created it two years ago + change! Except a couple times to import more pictures and twice now I believe, to convert into a new format. So if there's photos missing it's because that piece of crap lost them (during the conversion process, I'm thinking.)

Naturally, due to the shitty nature of the program, there's no friggin way to determine which photo, or photos exactly is missing. Does it start exporting from the start, or from the end, any order it feels like, what? You know... Fsck that! I pull the phone out of its dock and just delete everything and start over. Lucky me I did not trust that apple shit any further than I could throw it, all pictures were still sitting safe and sound on my phone (although it's starting to overflow now, which is the reason I wanted to export them in the first place.)

*Plugs phone back in again* Ok. It ain't doing diddly squat. Usually it pops up a request to sync my images, but apparantly since I've already synched them once it no longer does that. Even though those pictures are now gone; deleted. So I screw around in the menus, trying to find a way to repeat the synching process and not finding anything. Then after swearing a bit, I notice the phone's right there, in the left-hand sidebar. Ok. Import...churnchurnchurn. Done. Export... Churnchurnchurn. Done.

Fucking piece of crap! So much unnecessary effort, just to get at my own photos!

Fucking Apple! Kill them all, I say!

2. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

Wow that was quite some rant. Maybe you have to hunt for some piece of shit 3rd party "ipod manager" software?, so you can do dances in non Apple software.

Me I'm on dumbphone but if I were to get a "smart" one I would probably go for Firefox OS, just because it feels like it will be the most bullshit-free platform. For your use case of taking photos that are actually worth keeping it would probably require installing Firefox OS on some midrange, photo capable cell phone.
    For webcam quality pictures maybe they can be sent on MMS lol or even mail with attachment.

Isn't the iphone a computer? If it's a computer you should be able to install an "app" that can access photos and send them on the network (wifi) so they could be uploaded to a computer's Windows share/ftp server/ssh server ??

3. Silent_Buddha

Legend

I remember doing the song and dance routine back when Digital Camera's were a new fangled thing.

I'm so glad that cameras all just act as a standard USB storage device now. Although I'm sure if Apple made a camera they'd fuck it up and make it some proprietary thing.

I had thought all phones would have moved in that direction as well, but I guess Apple changed their mind about making it easy for their customers to access their photos.

Regards,
    SB

4. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

You simply need to think different.

5. idsn6

Regular

If iPhoto is overkill, use the built-in Image Capture application instead.

[​IMG]

6. mavere

Newcomer

That was quite the creative writing exercise.

In any case, your best bet is turn on iCloud photo syncing. I'm not sure what else to add to this because for the past couple years, it kinda "just worked". Dropbox is also an alternative. With the respective app open, it should offer syncing abilities when both on the go and when connected via USB.

These methods will naturally only give you jpegs. I'm not sure why your rant steered in that direction, but I thought I should bring this up to prevent any more crushed hopes and dreams.

7. Davros

Legend

what do people who have an iphone and a p.c do ?

8. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

Prolly run Itunes but what happens if you have.. a Chromebook? Or anything else that is not Windows?

9. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

when i installed rockbox linux on my friend's iPod. It was the best experience lol.

btw a bit out of topic. But how you guys bluetooth transfer between iPhone and Android? It keeps failing.

10. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Lol, yeah I'm good at those. Something of a specialty of mine, actually...

It is a computer, of course (all cell phones are), but Apple is notoriously picky about what apps it allows in its curated app store, stuff that from Apple's myopic point of view duplicates functionality already present in the phone for example is banned, from what I have read.

Apple has some kind of obsessive-compulsive need to keep their itunes piece of garbage alive and relevant for as long as possible so they might take a dim view of a wifi-photo-synching app, who can say. They even redesigned itunes not too long ago, I was hoping to make its notoriously quirky and user-unfriendly interface better, but they actually managed to make it even more complicated to update/sync apps to an iphone. It's mindblowingly un-fucking-believable just how BAD itunes is right now. I hate that rank piece of shit with a vengeance that if transported out of my body and set in interstellar space at 1AU would make our sun pale into insignificance. :lol:

Thank you! I will try to remember that next time I need to update my photos. :) Hopefully it will cause less mental trauma than going the iphoto route.

11. Ngaurhoth

Newcomer

I agree with you 100% , I hate apple and their proprietary bullshit , I have a Mac book pro and EVERY TIME I have to use it I find myself cursing it up and down, and I want to smash the piece of shit. If I didn't pay so much damn money for this garbage I would have smashed it long ago. And I also find the whole iPhoto bullshit totally fu*#ed up and a royal pain in the ass ! I'm flag that fucker died, he was laughing at us every day..... Well who's laughing now fucker !

12. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

These cloud methods have something ludicrous sometimes. "Please pass me the salt" is implemented by sending a SMS to the person holding the salt, who sends it to you through UPS or Fedex.. Delivery guy shows up in your dining room, takes the salt and goes away with it. It spends the night in a logistics platform. Then in early morning another delivery guy shows up, walks up to you and gives you the salt.

Note that in a mathematical sense the above is done in real time, just slow.

#12 Blazkowicz, Apr 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2014
  13. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

I have an ally! :lol: You and me, against all the stupid apple crap in the world.

14. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

the most annoying is when using portable apple device to do simple and common things. Why the heck i need to DL iTunes for 1 hour just to copy some musics :/
    it was a bliss after i flash my friend's iPod into Rockbox Linux. And he like it too lol

copying files between windows/symbian/android to/from iPhone also a nightmare. between android, we can just tap and send. android to symbian can simply accept the incoming bluetooth request yes yes yes.

on iPhone, my friend need to pair it with my android phone before we can transfer files.