I just, how would you say...PWNED...my manager today..

BlueTsunami

I laugh at you! HA HA HA!
Veteran
Ok, so, my manager and I got in a heated argument (over E-Mail). She said I did something wrong, I told her that it was something that was planned and that shes jumping to conclusions.

She then schedules a meeting to talk face to face the Friday that just passed. She delays it to Monday. Weekend passes (I was nervous and apprehensive the whole weekend) Monday comes, she delays it to Tuesday. So now i'm mad.

I send her a resignations E-Mail. Stating the faults in company managment (IE: Her) and how this has driven me to leave the said company in pursuit of other endeavers. I also state that I would gladly train any who takes my position but that I'll be gone in the 2 weeks end.

Last edited by a moderator:
so who is Powning who actually?

what the heck is the P in owned actually? internet bitchslaptalk?

dont you have to give x weeks notice before leaving?

Hello, Jeremy. I was doing a Russ, when suddenly your email image popped up. Slow loader apparently.

Yes, there is usually some leverage in really being willing to leave. At least if they don't want you to. Your supervisors response was only mediocre in that regard tho, in my experience. That's at least as much documented cya manager-speak as honest effort to keep someone you don't want going. At least in my experience. I'd have been in your office two minutes later asking you to stop by on your next break or whatever if I really thot it was all a terrible misunderstanding on my intentions towards you.

Oh. heh. the image finally loaded for me too.

Now it makes much more sense.

Burning bridges is an awful thing to do, career wise.

If its really a bad situation, they'll never listen, so 'telling them' won't do you any good and you'll lose a reference. Companies wonder why you don't have a reference with your last employer. Its also important to keep your employment status constant. Being 'unemployed' is a always makes a potential employer wonder why you're unemployed and makes them think twice about changing that status.

RussSchultz said:
Oh. heh. the image finally loaded for me too.

Now it makes much more sense.

Burning bridges is an awful thing to do, career wise.

If its really a bad situation, they'll never listen, so 'telling them' won't do you any good and you'll lose a reference. Companies wonder why you don't have a reference with your last employer. Its also important to keep your employment status constant. Being 'unemployed' is a always makes a potential employer wonder why you're unemployed and makes them think twice about changing that status.

Very true. I just lost my composure. I was so tired of her (and upper manegment) treating me like a newborn baby and making it seem like I should be gratefull. All in all though, I have the Vice VP (*instert company name here) to have as a referal :)

Damnit, i'm going to college!

One small question... Do you guys often communicate through email rather than face to face with each other?

Seems to me that would give rise to a lot more complications than otherwise. It's a problem we can see all over the net really, as we humans are designed for verbal conversations, not written.

I'm going oftopic now, but I think this is a good opportunity to preach the virtues of the lossless png format :p

It took a long time for it to load for me too, probably because of the large size (1.2MB). Screenshots like these are much better compressed with PNG. I just tried recompressing it as PNG. I wasn't expecting it to compress well, since it would have jpg compression artifacts by now, and those usually severely reduces the lossless compression rate even when the jpg artifacts are not visible to the eye at normal viewing size and distance. But it compressed really well, down to 56kB, 4.5% of the jpg size. I'm actually pretty sure that the image is not a jpg at all, but just a renamed bmp...

You can allways put another person down from your department esp someone with more time working there than you as a refrence from that job .

radeonic2 said:
Says the man who met his wife on irc...

An interesting sidenote:
My next door neighbours met on Everquest. She lived in Germany, he in Australia, and they began questing, and moved onto messageboards, and eventually met up, moved across the world, then recently married.

Now my girlfriend is scared that I'll run off with some Level 32 Undead Shaman hussie in WoW. Seriously :LOL:

PARANOiA said:
An interesting sidenote:
My next door neighbours met on Everquest. She lived in Germany, he in Australia, and they began questing, and moved onto messageboards, and eventually met up, moved across the world, then recently married.

All I can say is: :oops: :oops: :oops:

But on topic: if I ever have a problem, I get a cup of coffee/tee, go to my boss' office and talk about it face-to-face. In normal tone, of course. It usually works better than anything one could ever write down. It also gives you the opportunity to clarify anything that might be misunderstood or in the wrong context. Also, it has more impact on the personal level.

EDIT: and there's nothing on paper they can hold against you, if it should come that far ;)

I've seen both sides of this. There are some cases where the big wheel just doesn't see the mistake they are making. From experience I would suggest removing all company and supplier/customer references in any image/message board post connecting you to those entities. In my case the company has been telling me for years how skilled and valuable I am, I am one of the few people they list as "suitable for ICT project work", which is something they are dying to get into. Yet, I've been doing nothing for two weeks, and this will likley last another 6 or so before I end up on a project.

Being de-valued is where dilbert was born. The two solutions are patience or action. Right now I'm being crouching tiger hidden dragon, and hoping to take control of the job situation in the future. Time will tell wether I'll end up another middle aged wheel in the cog, or wether I can actually change my life.

AlphaWolf said:
It might be a good idea to give notice but If you don't need/want a reference...

I'm sorry, i think that you guys have the same rulez like us in Belgium.

you HAVE to give notice, you just can't leave from one day to another here.
The x weeks notice depends how long you work .
The same is for you boss. if they fire you , they have to give you notice (again depends how long you have worked) and if they dont want you there anymore, they can let you go immediatly but they can pay you out the weeks you should have worked.
for example, i'm working at my current position for 6 years now, if they fire me , they will have to give me 6 months notice, or pay me 6 months out.
If I want to leave, i have to give 2 month notice.
(and that is legaly, sending a signed letter to your boss who he has to sign that he has received it!)
we are heavily protected here thank God.

On the other hand... you dont do anybody a favour by just leaving to be honest.
your boss wont be owned . you are. Everybody is replaceble

Back