I have now joined th ranks as a pissed off videocard purchaser...

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Sobek, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Sobek

Sobek Locally Operating
    Veteran

Let me start by saying that this isn't a flame against Nv or ATI or anything ;)

Basically, I just bought an x1900xt...it got delivered to the office here about 10 minutes ago.

It's a used card.

I was suspicious the moment I unwrapped the parcel-wrapping. The 'Sapphire' sticker on the side of the box keeping it closed was barely even on. I opened it up, everything else seemed to be in order however the manual had some dents and scratches on it indicative that it had been taken out and poorly handled.

I then took out the card, there was a generic sticker planted all over the top saying 'STOP! Before use, check power requirements and so on so forth...", this also got me suspicious because it was showng power requirements for an old 4pin Floppy connector based card, something I KNOW does not come on x1900's (bought a few for friends.).

After I opened up the packet, I instantly checked the card for damage...none, thank god. However there were fingerprints all over the HSF, and grazes on both DVI ports suggesting someone put the DVI->VGA converters on both ports. It's not bad, so i'm guessing it was only used once. Because the card is otherwise clean, and the PCI Interconnects are spotless.

I'm calling Umart today (I live in aus...they have been absoutely excellent people in the past), and speaking to the manager. It does sound a little far-fetched that I should do that but people in the past have got pre-used cards and gotten even more riled up. So calling the manager and having a little chat with him is the least I can do.

Not happy Jan...not at bloody all. *FYI* I've documented everything I found wrong, thanks to our brand new camera. This just wont slide.

2. micron

micron Diamond Viper 550
    Veteran

UMmmm....does the card work?

If you're simply made because the card has been used, I can understand, but it should still carry the same warranty/return policy as any new card would.

If it works, I would keep the card, but probably never buy from them again.

3. Sobek

Sobek Locally Operating
    Veteran

Don't get me wrong, i'm not mad as such. Just very....peeved, I suppose.

I have sent them an email detailing everything at issue with it. I forgot to add, there is also paint distortion around the backside of some of the capacitors and such, like you normally get after prolonged use.

I'll wait to here what they say, but suffice to say, I will indeed never buy from them again.

4. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

If it's a second-hand product, you expect to pay second hand prices. If something is a second, it should be sold as such, whether it's working correctly or not, because it's not the new card you were sold.

There's no way of knowing if someone bought this card, upped the voltage and clocks on it until it wouldn't overclock enough, otherwise misused it, and then sent it back to the store after a week of abuse. Or how many times it's been shipped about the place, bouncing around in the back of trucks.

If you were in a store and had the choice of the open box with the pawed and shopsoiled contents, or the new crisp box with the factory fresh product, you'd choose the latter, so why should retailers expect to get away with sending you their second-hand/shop soiled stock via mail and charge you full price for the privalege?

5. fallguy

Veteran

Thats how I feel. I bought a X-Fi, and it was obviously used. The bracket that you screw in, was bent inwards, where someone screwed it in to hard. A few caps were also bent, and the anti-static bag was not in new condition. I paid new price, but got a used card. It works fine, but its the principal of it.

6. RancidLunchmeat

Veteran

I agree with BZB. If the card works as such, I wouldn't care so much except that I would certainly NOT expect to pay full price.

They either need to give you a pre-owned (probably refurbished) discount refund, or they need to take the RMA and give you a brand new card.

Or, if it works, and you like the vendor (which you appear to), you might just haggle an even larger store credit and use it to purchase something else you were thinking of getting later.

But I certainly wouldn't just say 'Oh well, that's how it is'.

7. Richteralan

Regular

These things happen so common.

Last time I got a Leadtek Geforce 6800GT, The box isn't shrink wrapped. Fingerprints on heatsink...etc..etc.. Luckily the card works great

Then an eVGA 6800GS PCIe, first time just got a used card, full of dust and the card is not secured in the box. Returned to the "old*gg". Got another 6800GS from elsewhere, luckily is completely new.

Then a BFG 7900GT, some stains on DVI port and PCIe connecotrs.

I guess it's so hard to buy a complete new cards now anyway....:lol:

8. Sobek

Sobek Locally Operating
    Veteran

You've hit the nail on the head with this reply.

While I don't plan to just sit back and 'meh' myself into using a pre-loved card, it was my intention to obtain some kind of credit. Because after reading about all the people getting pre-used, or damaged cards...I was dreading it happening to me. Lo and behold...it happens! It just cuts me deeper than it might someone else, that's all.

I'm still inquiring about this...i'll keep you guys informed. And thanks for the replies, had this been some other forum like *shudder* Guru3d or Driverheaven..I suspect I would have had some sig-worthy replies :p (BTW, would anyone be so kind as to fix that spelling mistake in my thread title? thanks!)

#8 Sobek, Mar 23, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2006
  9. Pete

Pete Moderate Nuisance
    Moderator Veteran

I suspect the same thing happened to me with NewEgg, of all places, and a Shuttle SFF. I never bothered getting into it with them b/c it was my first SFF and I figured it would take more time to get sorted than I was willing to part with. Luckily, the unit's still working (after some initial troubleshooting and duct taping--it was an odd problem).

But you're doing what I should have done, and either a discount or an exchange seems appropriate. Good luck with hold time or email tag.

#9 Pete, Mar 23, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2006
  10. Ady

Ady
    Newcomer

We have received stuff from distributors before that have obviously been used, even if it was just for testing or something similar. I guess it's not always the retailers fault. If you don't open it you don't know.

Some customers actually like us to test them before shipping, in case it is a faulty product, which saves them from shipping back etc. It's only something we would do if requested though.

11. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

Fry's in California, geek heavan, often has return stuff on the shelf, but it also has a sticker on it saying that, so you can try to avoid it you want. Seems usually isn't price break. That's the downside. The upside is that the reason they do is they are absolutely fabulous about taking stuff back without giving you a huge hassle over it. So I always felt it evened out.

12. poopypoo

Veteran

I always lived on the East Coast, but I've always wanted to go to a Fry's. Seems like I've been hearing about them for about ten years now. It truly does sound like a geek heaven!

13. micron

micron Diamond Viper 550
    Veteran

The Sacramento location I used to shop at, had literally a wall of video cards.

14. mustrum

Regular

I would be pissed off too. Especially with all those lamers that take a bunch of cards and keep the best overclocker. The honest buyer gets the "crappy" cards that maybe got trated badly too.
    If i buy something i expect the seal to be intact and no signs of usage.

15. the maddman

Regular

The key phrase is "USED TO." I was at the Sac Fry's last month and was completely underwelmed. They've moved in refrigerators and such, and really cut back on the really geeky stuff.

At least you still get the 'can't find the advertised special' run around though.

16. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

<Geo dons sack cloth and ashes to mourn his ex-Fry's>

Place here called "MicroCenter" that's pretty good. Not quite "the old Fry's", but pretty good methadone anyway.

Not that any bricks and mortar can hold a candle to a NewEgg or Monarch, but if you're in desperate need. . .or you really feel the need to get tactile first.

17. micron

micron Diamond Viper 550
    Veteran

Or if you're someone burns a lot of graphics cards up, it's nice having a local store to get a refund from:razz:

18. Sobek

Sobek Locally Operating
    Veteran

First things first, i've tested the card now and it functions perfectly, but I haven't been able to overclock it or anything because Overdrive always says "Overdrive has not yet fully initialised, please try again later". But besides that, it works just fine. Came in just shy of 10k with my 3200+ Venice @ 2.2ghz. (Had it at 2.65ghz previously, but I had to sacrifice it down to 2.2 to have an extra gb of ram. No joke...at max settings I can notice huge changes in games like BF2 and FEAR...).

Now on to the juicy stuff...

I called them today and told them i'd already sent an email, and that I wanted to talk to the store manager. He was...'out' (very obviously a lie the way the guy said it), but that he'd have him call me. I explained my story to this guy and explained that I either want a refund of 25% of the cost, or perhaps store credit. He noted he'd inquire about this and the manager would sort it out when he got back. Obviously i'm probably never going to get a return call so i'm calling them again if I don't hear anything in the next hour.

Hopefully the manager will be a decent guy and agree to some sort of compromise. As some of you have stated, I just don't feel comfortable paying retail cost for secondhand goods. I'll let you know how it goes...

19. Cowboy X

Newcomer

No it is best to return it . One never knows how much radical oc'ing or attempted bios flashing went on . Secondly the card could well have been a poor oc'er and thus got RMAed . Finally unless it is a lifetime warranty you cannot really guarantee the life of the card . let me explain , I suspect many others have bought products which lasted beyond their warranty or sometimes well beyond their MTBF . This is off course what everyone wants ............ a good product to remain good indefinitely or at least as long as possible . I would rather a brand new unused card which may give me 2 years beyond the warrranty than a refurbed card selling at new card prices which has a higher chance of dying before or just after the warranty .

#19 Cowboy X, Mar 24, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2006
  20. superguy

Banned

Fry's does have a ton of geek stuff..like not that many retail chain stores even sell motherboards alone. Compusa does but not very many.

But the thing of Fry's as I saw it is, they're very special oriented. You basically pay MSRP, but every week they run varying level of absurd specials advertised in their famous newspaper flyers. That's their bussines model.

I once got a ECS mobo and Duron 1600 (back when it was a pretty decent mid range chip still, probably like a A64 2800+ would be today) for $40. Yes, the combo was on special for 39.99. You can rebuild your parents computer or whatever all day long for that type of prices.

That's why they sell out so much too. Their really good deals might last only a few hours because they're really, really good deals.