I Hate CCC, part 12

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by swaaye, Apr 16, 2006.

1. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

when I used it on that duron PC with a radeon 9550, it took up to 100MB, adding the CLI.exe's

2. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

So, in other words, some of you think it's ok for this control panel to slow the boot up process, use several times more RAM than the "obsolete" control panel, and have annoying delays loading up and clicking around in it cuz it has to be "pretty". This is, by the way, unlike any competitor's similar solution. And it's A-OK to just, oh, try not to actually load it and navigate a few levels of an annoying task bar icon instead?

LOL. I don't think so.

It's sloppy, counterproductive software that adds NOTHING to the old-style control panel. The old CP used basically zilch for RAM and loaded almost instantly. It didn't suck RAM. Or make my streamlined dual-core with 2 gigs of RAM load Windows like a 486 with 8MB runnin Win95.

When it's "not loaded" (it's always friggin loaded, the TSRs are always there), it uses about 25 MB RAM. When it's up and running I see 6(!) ATI processes show up total, each using around 2-3 MB RAM. So, RAM usage isn't terrible. I think it has gotten better. But, still, c'mon. What on EARTH does this thing do on boot, and why does it sometimes take almost half a min to load up?

#42 swaaye, Apr 17, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2006
    Guden Oden likes this.
  3. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

swaaye, I've only experience the slow loading things maybe a hand full of times. Must be magic on the systems I've built and used.

As for the memory, it doesnt seem to hurt performance or make my anymore sluggish than a similair system with a Nvidia card and driver set.

So, no the CCC doesnt make me upset because it does nothing to make me upset.

4. fallguy

Veteran

Some people compain that CCC uses a small amount of ram, yet they use the default Windows theme, that uses more than the Win2K look. Or they use Window Blinds or some other app like that, which uses ram as well. Pretty ironic to me.

5. martrox

martrox Old Fart
    Veteran

Just for shits and grins, I decided to do a little testing on 4 of my computers, 2 with nVidia cards & 2 with ATi cards using CCC. All 4 computers boot using MBM, Avast and the MS anti adware software.

Computer 1, Opteron 148 @2.8 gig (10x280), 2x1g Patriot 2,3,2,7 memory with Rivatuner and Cat 6.4 on Chaintech VNF 4 Ultra MB, x1800XT @700/800(1.6)

Boot time 50 sec
    time to open CCC 1st time 10 sec
    time to open CCC from then on 2 sec

Computer 2, A64 3000+ @2.6 gig(9x290) 2x256 Patriot 2.5,3,3,7 memory, Cat 6.4 on Chaintech VNF 4 Ultra MB, x700Pro stock

Boot time 37 sec
    time to open CCC 1st time 6 sec
    time to open CCC from then on 2 sec

Computer 3, A64 3000+ @2.6 gig(9x290), 2x1g Patriot 2,3,2,7 memory, 84.43 on Chaintech VNF 4 Ultra MB, BGF 7600GT OC stock

Boot time 55 sec
    time to open CP 1st time 4 sec
    time to open CP from then on 2 sec

Computer 4, A64 3000+@2.7 gig(9x300), 2x1gig Adata 2.5,3,3,7 memory, 84.25 on Asus A8N SLi MB, 2x PNY 7800GT@450/1.12

Boot time 50 sec
    time to open CP 1st time 5 sec
    time to open CP from then on 2 sec

All are fairly fresh installs of XP Pro (cept#3 which uses MCE), with all updates including net1.1 &2.0

As far as boot times go, there's next to no difference, period. Except for the machine with 1/4th the memory! And there's no difference in accessing either control panel after the first time. And while there was a difference in the first access, 5 seconds shouldn't bother anyone. I'd say If you are having problems with boot time, it's something else you are doing, not CCC. BTW, of interest is the fact that accessing nVidia CP takes 2 mouse clicks, CCC only one.

As the aliens in Buckaroo Bansi said......." so what? Big deal......" ;)

#45 martrox, Apr 18, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2006
    BRiT likes this.
  6. SirPauly

Regular

Hehe, nice testing Martrox! But it will not be enough to convince the CCC hate club! :)

7. soylent

Newcomer

...Or maybe using the classic CC actually shaves of about 10 seconds on startup and reduces the wait to open the control panel from 20 seconds to ~1 second for some of us? (the very same people who dislike it. ghasp!)

8. chavvdarrr

Veteran

offtopic - but better go and get a real antispyware program. My boss is crazy with MS and demsnded MS antispyware installed on all 100 PCs in the office few months ago. Now we replace them with Spybot - its not detecting many spayware programs... maybe when its released it will be ok. Maybe.

9. ^eMpTy^

Newcomer

Not really, those programs are designed to look pretty...so taking up ram is a necessary evil of things being pretty...

With the CCC, it's designed (or at least it should be) to provide an effective interface for quickly and easily managing video card settings...all the bells, whistles, and frills are just bloat...nobody needs 30MB of useless graphics to turn anti-aliasing on and off...

The CCC is a bloated piece of crap...

10. Moloch

Moloch God of Wicked Games
    Veteran

30MB is nothing when you have 1GB or more.
    even with 512MB.
    btw, it should get paged if you need the ram, right?
    Also are you talking about 30MB with it open or closed?

11. martrox

martrox Old Fart
    Veteran

As far as memory goes, I just replaced the 1 gig memory in 3 of my machines - the other 2 are my server and a hardware testing machine - with 2 gigs. Many of the newer games seem to run much better. Memory is so cheap right now, it's a no brainer. Got 2 - 2 gig dual channel Patriot PDC2G3200LLK memory at Outpost.com for $154.95 -$25.00, and a 2 gig dual channel AData kit( Asus MB won't run the Patriot memory for some reason) at Newegg for $135.00. BTW, 2 gigs of memory does take longer to boot into Windows than 512 meg......shall we bitch about that, too?

When you consider that it costs $50+ for most new games today.....2 gigs of memory for the cost of 2 1/2 games is, again, a no brainer.

As far as bloat goes, I agree with that. However, understand that we are the few with knowledge about these things. Most have little if any understanding about AA and AF, and that's what all the bells and whistles are for. Consider it a form of education for the unwashed masses.

12. HaLDoL

Newcomer

Wow you can open a Catalyst Control Center with nvidia drivers? :D

13. skazz

Newcomer

(heading swiftly offtopic) I looked at AVG and found it decidedly crap. Probably my bad, but I couldn't even get the damn thing to allow me a local subnet excluded from the standard firewall rules. Thanks for the tip about Bitdefender, I will look into it.

re: boot time. The only time I guess that one really cares about boot speed is during PC install. Since I was installing my new A64 X2 last week and figuring out x64 variants of all the normal tools for the first time, I watched those CLI processes load all too many times and hence have an abnormally irritated reaction to them. I'm sure such thoughts will vanish quickly enough :D

14. CosmoKramer

Newcomer

Another vote against CCC. It adds no value whatsoever, all the while being slow, unresponsive and a memory hog for no good reason. ATi, fuck you.

If nVidia fixes their broken "aniso" I'm jumping ship.

15. Guden Oden

Guden Oden Senior Member
    Legend

What a completely useless and frankly idiotic response. You think I get 1 gig of memory just so hard/software vendors can blow it all by reasoning like you do? "Oh, 30 megs here and 30 megs there is nothing! Why do you care?"

And I should just sit there with my thumb up my arse waiting for the HDD to finish thrashing as it pages the damn CCC out to disk? No thanks. It was to get rid of that behavior that I got 1+ gigs of RAM in the first place!

16. fallguy

Veteran

CCC is designed to look "pretty" as well. With the car and road to show you what options do what. Its still funny to me people complain about some ram useage, when they have other apps that use even more, like I mentioned Windowblinds, etc. I imagine if NV's new CP for Vista ships should take up about the same rame, its going to be A-ok then. Should have known you would respond to me though, do you have me on "buddy"? ;)

As martrox showed, it doesnt take the 20+ seconds some people claim all the time.

#56 fallguy, Apr 18, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2006
  17. t0y

t0y
    Newcomer

For all of you having insane load times for the CCC, try disabling AVs, firewalls and other real-time checking utilities that may be hooking OS calls. CCC does some funky stuff to enable communication between its various components and the overhead of such utilities can have a big impact. I had nightmares with agnitum's outpost firewall (with component control and anti-spyware bloatfest) to the point of turning CCC 100% unusable.

Right now, since I got rid of that particular FW, it's not very smooth but it's perfectly functional, although I agree it's a bit overkill for what's it's supposed to do.

18. PeterT

Regular

The most tragic part is that, while CCC is probably meant to look good, it is in fact horrible visually. Those aliased rounded edges, the meaninglessly thick borders and deviders all over the place, the mid-90s "chrome" aestethics... yuck.

Well, the components for my new system should arrive soon, and one of them is an Nvidia graphics card - my first since I bought an original 32 MB Radeon. Sure, the main reason was that ATI just doesn't offer a compelling product in the price segment that I was looking at, but the CCC fiasco made it much easier to let go of my ATI tradition.

19. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha

How odd that it doesn't add any time to my startup and the longest CCC took to open was 2 seconds. I really don't know what is so magical about my system setup. *shrug*

20. Spaceman-Spiff

Regular

I've been downloading the "Display Driver Only" and using ATI Tray Tools since Catalyst 5.12. It works great.