I finally decided, Radeon X800 TT

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by digitalwanderer, Mar 16, 2005.

1. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Yup, I've decided that modded X800's should be designated as "TT" model cards. (For "tea-time", duh! It's an R420! :lol: )

I figure that's a whole lot easier than typing "flashed 16 pipes 500/540" to describe a card, so this is now the official terminology.

For example, I have a Saphire X800 pro VIVO flashed to 16-pipe XT PE but at 500/540 (I was chickenshit, it was more than I had spent on most of the bloody cars I bought in my life!). Now to put that into sig form it'd be:

256MB Radeon X800 TT (500/540)

Simple, neat, easy. :)

2. martrox

martrox Old Fart
    Veteran

Well then, guess I'm not chickenshit* as MY BBA X800TT has been running at 525/575 since the day I flashed it, about the same time as you did, DW! BTW, I just traded my 6800NU for a X800XL, sold my P4 MB & Processor & bought a Chaintech NF4 Ultra with a 3000+ 939. Now running the system at 240 FSB with the XL at stock compared to the TT running in a NF3 with a 3000+ at 235 fsb.... well, there is no comparison - the TT system just slay's the XL....... :wink: I'm having too much fun here.

*some here may disagree with this, but not for the same reasons..... :roll:

3. digitalwanderer

Legend

Hey, so did you go from using your X800TT on a Athlon set-up to an Athlon64 set-up?

How big of a difference was it? I'm wondering how long-o-tooth my measly little 2400+ really is. (Well, at 12x200 ;) )

4. Tahir2

Veteran

I disagree with the statement that you are "having too much fun here," - here you go have some more fun on my behalf.

See? Now you are having even more fun... no such thing as too much fun don't you know?

Just FYI I am having "some fun" with a DFI Lanparty NF4 Ultra-D, 3000+ Winchester and 1GB Mushkin 3200+ Lvl II memory. Just for testing of course. :wink:

5. martrox

martrox Old Fart
    Veteran

DW, it's a huge difference. Let me put it this way. Right now I run practicly everything, cept DIII, at 6X FSAA/16 AF at 1600x1200 on the 3000+ 754 at 235 fsb. I'm running on a Chaintech VNF 3-250 (less than $80.00) with a 3000+ processor. The only place I splurged on this system was the memory - got some G Skill Samsung TCCD 2x512 meg. Before I got the memory I ran some cheap Kingston PC3200. the only diff is I run the G.Skill at 1 to 1, whereas I had to run the Kingston at 166FSB O/C ed to 245 fsb, which meant it ran at an effective 208 FSB. Can I tell the difference in the memory? Nope - the damn X800TT is so fast I couldn't tell a difference. Right now I'm primarilly playing WOW, and at these settings with Vsync on at 75hz it dips into the high 30's on occasion but runs above 50 almost all the time.

Got to say that, so far, I'm a bit dissappointed in the 3000+ 939 chip. The dual memory controller doesn't come close to making up the 200mhz clockspeed difference - at least not in games or benchmarks. In fact I've got the 939 running at 240 fsb and the 754 at 235 fsb and the 754 kicks the 939's ass. BUT..... it may be the difference in the videocards - lets face it, an X800 XT PE(my TT) can run rings around anon o/c'ed X800XL. I do plan to downclock the the TT to the stock XL speed and then I'll know which is the stronger processor.

6. digitalwanderer

Legend

Hmmm. I was thinking I could get a new 939 mobo & cheaper AMD64 and just re-use my gig-o-generic Kingston PC3200 for a while, that would actually make it pretty cheap for me.

Can I use my same power supply? Or do I need a new one for the new mobos? (Sorry for the dumb question, but I just thought of it)

I know it won't be best-o-the-best, but it'll give me room to upgrade.

The only downside is that then I'll need a bloody PCIe viddy card, or do they make AMD64 AGP mobos?

7. martrox

martrox Old Fart
    Veteran

I'm using the exact Thermaltake Power supply you got! 420 watt! While it doesn't have the 24 pin connector, the board works fine.

In your can I'd really consider a 754 NF3 MB and processor. They are a great deal right now. Just bear with me, let me run some comparisons with the downclocked TT. BTW, my main machine is still a 754 agp system......

8. digitalwanderer

Legend

Hmmmm....and you say you did notice a difference going from an Athlon to an Athlon64? :|

Hell, if I can find some kind company to toss me a PCIe card I might just do it. Time for some e-mailing!

Hey wait, didn't ATi just put out a mobo too?

Hmmmm.....

9. Tahir2

Veteran

I would wait for the ATI chipset based motherboard from Sapphire (the white PCB one).

10. Sxotty

Veteran

DW I am in the same quandry as you. I pounced on one of those vivo's as you know, but now I want to upgrade to a a64 and I do not want to get a agp slot since they will be outdated, but at the same time I do not want to buy a new graphics card since there is nothing much better than what I have...

I am trying to wait till next fall and hoping something will change dramatically. Thinking dual core a64+PCIe graphics that is better than what I have + motherboard will cost like $700 and that is a whole boat load of cash.

11. Xenus

Veteran

But it will be shiny, new, and cannot forget fast. :lol:

12. digitalwanderer

Legend

You're really, really evil.... [​IMG]

I gotta order a new northbridge fan for my NF7-S rev 2 tonight too, one of the fan blades fell off it. :?

13. Xenus

Veteran

I'm waiting for the $1000 I get to build a computer when I gradute from high school and will probably delay as long as possible so I can buy the best parts. 8)

14. digitalwanderer

Legend

Heh. When I left my job at US Steel to start doing the at home dad thing I cashed out one of my IRA-thingies they'd been paying into that was for $1,000 and spent the money on my first "real" computer Blue.

A hell of a good investment. 8)

15. kyleb

Veteran

I always have trouble with Abit's fans, but I just take them off and with decent case circulation things work out just fine.

16. martrox

martrox Old Fart
    Veteran

Sxotty & DW, you guys could alway get with a NF3 based 939 socket MB with AGP. So far there is no evidence that the NF4 chpset has any advantages over the NF3 save the ability to run PCIe. And, when you consider you can get a good NF3 for around $100.00 vs. the $450.00-500.00 it's going to cost to replace your videocard - that's the going price of the X800XT - it's a no brainer. You could save yourselves a little bit by going the 6800GT rout, but, after owning a X800TT you wouldn't be happy with a 6800 of any kind, believe me.

17. Sxotty

Veteran

I was going to do that, but I just know it won't work out right. Then I will want to get a pcie chipset later anyway. And you know AGP is a dead end. I guess I could buy a nf4 later and a pcie graphics card, then I would only be wasting the money for the nf3...

I had another idea for talking the wife into it though. Buy a SFF nf3+a64. Then I can give em to her along with my x800(I can't say it DW sorry :lol: ) (antec aria) and get a new setup for me later. That would only spread the cost out though not decrease it. Whenever the elder scrolls 4 comes out though she will want my x800TT though I am sure I might have to wait till then.

18. ANova

Veteran

The 939 A64 3000+ based on the 90nm winchester core can usually go up to 2.6 GHz on air, thus effectively making it a 3800+ or around there. That's what i would suggest. You can also sell your AGP cards and get the PCIE card of the flavor you like. There is still a large market for AGP and PCIE cards have gone down in price.

19. Tahir2

Veteran

No it cannot USUALLY go up to 2.6GHz. Do not confuse the efforts of very enthusiastic overclockers to the average joe and even then they do not use 3000+ Winchester CPU's.

2.6GHz will give you the same speed as an FX55 but with half the cache as the 3800 runs at 2.4GHz.

The limiting factor in overclocking is usually the HTT bus but most 3000+ that I have seen max out on air at 2.2GHz giving you the same speed or thereabouts of a 3500+.

20. martrox

martrox Old Fart
    Veteran

Actually, Tahar, I'm running my 939 at 2340, 260 FSB, 1 to 1, 1T. I'm air cooled using a Thermalright SLK948U at 1.55v. The real problem here is memory. I'm using some Patriot PC3200 DDr with Samsung TCCD chips. I'm also running some rather loose mem settings of 3, 4,4,8. While I'm not 100% stable yet, I've only had the system for 4 days.... I'll get there. I wouldn't doubt that some can get to 2.6, but without very expensive memory (which kinda defeats the "value" of the system) you will have to run 2T and/or async memory. While this will work, it will run a lot slower than 1 to 1 memory. Also running 2T on an Athlon 64 really hurts the speed, too.