I Can Hazwell?

As a side note Intel demoed today a laptop running on a broadwell processor @14nm.
Damned when AMD launches its new arch (BD revision) Intel might be close to two nodes ahead :8O:

As a side note Intel demoed today a laptop running on a broadwell processor @14nm.
Damned when AMD launches its new arch (BD revision) Intel might be close to two nodes ahead :8O:

GlobalFoundries claim they will be offering a 14nm process in 2014. That's probably risk production, so products could show up in 2015:

GlobalFoundries_Roadmap.jpg

Of course, GloFo's roadmaps and their actual deeds tend to differ. Plus it's not clear that this process would be suited to high-performance chips.

At least AMD should be able to make use of TSMC's 20nm process for Kabini/Temash-class chips some time around late 2014/early 2015.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7318/intel-demos-14nm-broadwell-up-to-30-lower-power-than-haswell

ntel just demonstrated 14nm Broadwell ULT (Y-series) silicon, normalized for performance against 22nm Haswell ULT (Y-series) silicon running a multithreaded Cinebench test. Intel was monitoring SoC power during the benchmark and demonstrated a ~30% reduction in power, at the same performance level.

The other reveal? Broadwell ULT, albeit still a two-die, single chip MCM, is physically smaller than Haswell ULT. A physical size reduction is necessary to get Broadwell into fanless tablet designs that can have competitive battery capacities to ARM based designs.

If Intel can get Broadwell into fanless tablets, that's going to potentially make things more difficult for ARM based designs. At least with regards to performance. ARM based designs will still likely be far far cheaper than any Broadwell design though. But then, I guess that's where Baytrail comes in.

Regards,
SB

If Intel can get Broadwell into fanless tablets, that's going to potentially make things more difficult for ARM based designs. At least with regards to performance. ARM based designs will still likely be far far cheaper than any Broadwell design though. But then, I guess that's where Baytrail comes in.

Regards,
SB
A Broadwell based Surface Pro does sound nice.

GlobalFoundries claim they will be offering a 14nm process in 2014. That's probably risk production, so products could show up in 2015:

Of course, GloFo's roadmaps and their actual deeds tend to differ. Plus it's not clear that this process would be suited to high-performance chips.

At least AMD should be able to make use of TSMC's 20nm process for Kabini/Temash-class chips some time around late 2014/early 2015.

Good but where are AMD's GloFo 20 nm products, first, and then 14 nm?

??? Sorry I don't get what you mean :(

I meant that you were speaking about 14 nm and GloFo but AMD is still stuck with 32 nm, no?
20 nm claimed for this year? So, where are those products from AMD made on 20 nm? There won't be any probably till the end of 2014, or even 2015?

I meant that you were speaking about 14 nm and GloFo but AMD is still stuck with 32 nm, no?
20 nm claimed for this year? So, where are those products from AMD made on 20 nm? There won't be any probably till the end of 2014, or even 2015?
oops, I guess an English issue on my side.

As I said, you probably have to assume a ~1-year gap between the moment when a process is introduced and the moment when actual products show up.

We might see 20nm chips from AMD in H2'2014, perhaps late H2. But I'm skeptical, as one should always be with GloFo.

Oh damn, Broadwell might be 30% more power efficient than Haswell.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7309/intel-14nm-progress-update-broadwell-airmont-on-schedule

Argh, to wait for Broadwell or just say hell with it and get a Haswell ULx tablet this Holiday season? :p

Regards,
SB

Broad well ulv should have the 128 meg cache and a big change with the gpu

We won't see a dramatic redesign/re-plumbing of the graphics hardware until Broadwell in 2014 (that one is going to be a big one).

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6355/intels-haswell-architecture/12

I'm not seeing it. Anand's pictures show same thing as Haswell ULT/ULX die, except smaller. That is, one die that is the CPU/GPU and other being PCH.

Generally speaking, this would fit in with Intel Tick-Tock strategy. Broadwell is to Haswell as Ivy Bridge was to Sandy Bridge -- sure, there were some minor additions and corrections, but the primary focus was to get the shrink to allow for power savings and some speed bump.

But, Intel has mentioned (IIRC) that Broadwell may end up with some extra graphics oomph, yet they've not really talked about how that fits into their Tick-Tock strategy. Hmm...

Generally speaking, this would fit in with Intel Tick-Tock strategy. Broadwell is to Haswell as Ivy Bridge was to Sandy Bridge -- sure, there were some minor additions and corrections, but the primary focus was to get the shrink to allow for power savings and some speed bump.

But, Intel has mentioned (IIRC) that Broadwell may end up with some extra graphics oomph, yet they've not really talked about how that fits into their Tick-Tock strategy. Hmm...
They can afford to slack on their CPU performance, their GPU performance on the other hand is still playing catch up.
A 5-10% GPU performance increase will not suffice, so it's pretty much guaranteed that the GPU will receive a good boost.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back