Humble Frozen Synapse Bundle

Mendel

Mr. Upgrade
Veteran
http://www.humblebundle.com/

Pay what you'd like for Frozen Synapse, an excellent turn-based strategy game for Mac, Windows, and Linux, while supporting two worthy charities. If you decide to pay above the average price, you can also receive the Humble Frozenbyte Bundle, which includes Trine, Shadowgrounds, Shadowgrounds: Survivor, the Jack Claw prototype, and a Splot preorder

Last edited by a moderator:
Trauma has been added to the bundle!

TRAUMA tells a story of a young woman who survives a car accident. Recovering at the hospital, she has dreams that shed light on different aspects of her identity - such as the way she deals with the loss of her parents. TRAUMA lets you experience those dreams in an interactive way, reminiscent of point-and-click adventure games.

Last chance to get the full bundle. Less than two hours left. They have added SpaceChem to the bundle too.

I bought the previous bundle for 10 Euro, but I haven't played one of them yet. It's on my list...

Doh! I wish I had not missed the bundle--Frozen Synapse is right up my alley. It looks like a remake of Robosport!

I find these bundles a very worthy cause (althogh I'd rather see child's play donate money to give medical care poor kids in third world countries than buying luxury products to already relatively rich kids here in the west), but since I buy all my games through Steam these days I haven't been able to participate.

I wish Valve would get involved in this project, it'd give them some good PR too, as I don't think they've done much in the way of charity. Not that I can recall anyway. Blizzard has a couple projects each year, primarily for the Make-a-Wish Foundation (which seems to be US-centric), but I can't recall the last time Valve did anything, or even if they've ever had any charity events period.

Maybe my memory's faulty, I dunno. It often is. :p

but since I buy all my games through Steam these days I haven't been able to participate.
Every indie game bundle I know of have had activation codes that you can use in Steam. Only some of the alpha releases that haven't yet shown up in Steam aren't sometimes activateable before the full version arrives there.

Doh! I wish I had not missed the bundle--Frozen Synapse is right up my alley. It looks like a remake of Robosport!

I bought a bunch of them bundles when it was still available. I may have one gift code left. Let me check when I get back home. :)

Every indie game bundle I know of have had activation codes that you can use in Steam.
Wow, that's awesome news. I'm gonna have to pass this time, because I have already bought several of these games, but it's good to know for the future.

I bought a bunch of them bundles when it was still available. I may have one gift code left. Let me check when I get back home. :)

Sweet, if not not a problem as I think I will get my dad a copy anyhow. I am dling the demo now :D

A bunch of my coworkers and I do a game night once a month where we hole up in a conference room and commit flagrant displays of jackassery while playing random games.

Frozen Synapse and SpaceChem were both on the dock last time around.

I would whole-heartedly recommend SpaceChem to anyone that likes optimization puzzles. Frozen Synapse I found to be an interesting idea with such a horrifically bad interface that it was almost unplayable. I really hope the developers iterate on the idea and release something more refined some day. I love Robo Rally, and fundamentally that's basically what Frozen Synapse is.

Interestingly I have had the opposite experience from dlm. My dad likes FS a lot and I had some friends over who are novice gamers and they picked up quickly and really like the game. It is not everyone's cup of tea and moving the camera, zooming, and command issueing tacks some patients and willingness to learn shortcut keys to do quickly. So I agree it isn't super intuitive/quick but I find it works great once you get into it. And the game is a ton of fun, if not a little brutal.

Rumours that we will soon have Humble Store for Indie games. ALso,Indie City is coming up for Indie games only and we already have Desura.

Interestingly I have had the opposite experience from dlm. My dad likes FS a lot and I had some friends over who are novice gamers and they picked up quickly and really like the game. It is not everyone's cup of tea and moving the camera, zooming, and command issueing tacks some patients and willingness to learn shortcut keys to do quickly. So I agree it isn't super intuitive/quick but I find it works great once you get into it. And the game is a ton of fun, if not a little brutal.

I think we're actually pretty close in terms of what we think about the game mechanically, and I'm just less forgiving.

When it comes to controls for a game, one of the things I generally consider is how long it takes to know what action you want to perform and the amount of time that it takes to express that action to the game.

In FS, there's a lot of incentive to tweak and change courses a lot, and each individual movement line for a unit is generally not too super complicated. However, getting all of the key frames and movements in to place can take a very long time. So you might be able to figure out in 5 seconds what you want to do with a unit, then spend the next 3 minutes trying to actually get the unit to do what you want.

To me, that's a very bad and fundamental flaw. I found the game very frustrating because by the time I could get all of the units programmed, the flow of the game would be really far being my thinking. Some people might be less annoyed by that than I was.

Back