Huddy says "R600"

Discussion in 'Pre-release GPU Speculation' started by Geo, May 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

digitalwanderer likes this.
  2. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

I'm assuming that those numbers don't tell us much. Performance on a unified architecture after dedicating flexible units to specific tasks can't really be used as an accurate indicator of non-unified performance with a similar configuration (16/32).

3. TurnDragoZeroV2G

Regular

R600... heh. Needs to get me some of that. And Conroe, I'm thinking, at this point.

On a side note, if we can take the 20-25% losses on Xenos going from dynamic allocation to fixed 32/16 ratio to be accurate and realistic... then that's pretty impressive. Of course, he does have a job to do at the same time.

4. tEd

tEd Casual Member
    Veteran

Well i expect the next nvidia chip to also be the fastest dx9 chip they've ever build.:lol:

5. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

Huddy using a comparison on Xenos of 32/16 (2/1) is interesting.

Are they back to claiming 16 shaders for R580 then? Because if not, 48/8 is obviously much higher than 2/1.

6. SugarCoat

Veteran

R600 series, how many times do i have to say it!

7. nelg

Veteran

This was very interesting (if true).

8. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

And as soon as you finally admit you've been a paid ATI employee all along, then we'll take it as official!

I keed. :lol:

9. Jawed

Legend

Release the damn thing already.

Getting seriously bored...

Jawed

10. JHoxley

Regular

Is R600 a D3D10 part or not?

My vague understanding was that Nvidia's G80 and ATI's R600 were the next-gen/D3D10 parts... but that linked article keeps on referring it to a DX9 part?

Cheers,
    Jack

11. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

Yes, R600 is DX10 based (this article, I believe, was formed from an initial DX10 breifing that ATI are doing), however, the reality is that R600 and G80 will see far more DX9 code than they will DX10, so they have to be consumate DX9 performers as well as having DX10 capabilities.

12. eSa

eSa
    Newcomer

Hmm !!??? Where that 64 pipes comes from ??! Actual confirmation from ATI !?!?

Edit; Quote is from this article:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20060525104034.html

#12 eSa, May 26, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2006
  13. KimB

Legend

64 is about right for the R600. Bear in mind that the R580 has 48 pixel shader "piplines" alone. These pipelines individually don't do as much as nVidia's pipelines on the G7x, however, and the number of texture units is probably only going to be 16-32.

It remains to be seen how well this will compare to nVidia's offering, about which we know nearly nothing (except that from their public statements, it seems unlikely to be a unified architecture).

14. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

The initial article from today says:

So he may have just "assumed to be in evidence" his initial report.

I'm guessing 64 is the minimum we'd be looking at, or you might have scenarios where it couldn't hand R580 the licking you would want it to be able to do.

Could it be more than that? Dunno.

15. KimB

Legend

Right. It really depends upon how much logic they have to add just to implement the unification. If not much, and if they're producing it on a smaller process than the R580, then it could have significantly more pipelines.

If, however, it takes quite a bit more logic, and if they're still doing it on 90nm, or even just 80nm (which isn't much smaller), then 64 seems more likely (less is possible, but, as you said, the performance wouldn't be there, and thus such a situation seems unlikely).

Edit:
    Since the current architecture seems to be 70% along the road to unification already, I actually suspect it won't take that many transistors. But just bear in mind that nVidia is currently sitting pretty with an architecture that only requires ~55% the die area of ATI's, and thus can add a whole lot more core logic before even reaching parity on die size. Anyway, I think it's going to be a very interesting fall (or perhaps early next year, if we're unlucky).

16. Jawed

Legend

I'm holding out for 96 Xenos style pipes and 32 TMU pipes. Gotta keep that 3:1 ratio :razz: and have some use for 100GB/s of bandwidth...

Jawed

17. kyetech

Regular

But I guess its no surprise theres not *that* many more pipes than the previous gen seeing as each pipe needs to be wider to support a SM4 pipeline no?

So really the budget is blown on redesign rather than additional pipes.

18. KimB

Legend

I personally don't expect SM4 to require all that many more transistors over SM3. I think that the real reason we probably won't see more than 64 pipelines is that ATI's already got a big chip, and probably won't want to go any bigger for the next gen.

19. kyetech

Regular

what about nvidia then?

20. KimB

Legend

Well, right. I expect them to have to spend quite a few more transistors to get branching performance up there. But they can grow their die size by a whole hell of a lot more, too (the GeForce 7900 GTX is just 55% the size of the Radeon X1900). So we'll have to wait and see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.