http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2003-06-24-samsung_x.htm

pax

Newcomer
Do you guys think this statement on the part of ati is correct? Their adapter is a dvi-i to component adapter. Thus its supposed to be able to handle a digital to analog component signal. Else why call it dvi-i? It would be just dvi-a to component. Im talking about the new samsung dvi-d 1080i dvd player as I would like to adapt it to run on a component pnly input HDTV.:

Dear Pierre Cyr,

Thank you for contacting ATI Customer Service Canada.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your email has been assigned:
TicketGUID:{F637819F-B5A5-11D7-A579-00508BE22D04}

Please include the above identifier in all future correspondence
relating to this ticket. Note: The TicketGUID identifier must appear
in the message body, not in the subject line.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regarding your HDTV adapter inquiry:

You would not be able to use our component adapter to accomodate your Samsung and HDTV.

Regards,

Ian Sufrin
Customer Service Canada
ATI Technologies, Inc.
http://www.ati.com

Any info from you guys welcome... I had heard that there was some kind of copy protect issue involved. And thought maybe ATI who usually only sells its adapters for its vidcards was missleading me in some way. Ive browed the web quite a bit and ati is the only one that advertises dvi-i (which is dual dvi-d and dvi-a) to component adapter...

Their connector is DVI-I. There is analog and digital on the connector of the R300 cards.

The signals that are "converted" come solely from the analog portions. If you crack open the converter, you'll see its purely a physical converter, and there's no D/A going on inside. (It may have some simple mixing circuitry--going from RGB to component is a matter of combining/subtracting signals)

You cannot do what you hope to do with that adapter part.

I suspected as much. Its a pretty cheap adapter. Converting digital to analog up to 1080i cant be that easy or cheap.

Is there such a thing as digital component then? That would explain why ati bothered to put a dvi-i connector instead of plain dvi-a. Then all Id need to find out is if my component inputs can take digital. I know they take analog...

That's not the real issue.

Almost all TVs DVI connectors are HDCP which means that you can only hookup a HDCP DVI Outputting DVD Player too them (Samsung has just brought one to market).

So the ATI individual responding to your inquiry is correct. I do not know of any Projection Screen TVs that will accept a Computer DVI Output unfortunately :\

Sorry.

You've got the equation backwards. HDCP enabled TVs do not mean that only HDCP enabled sources can hook up to them.

HDCP enabled sources will scale back content (depending on rights granted in the stream) to a display that is not HDCP compliant.

For example, my 9500 non pro will output DVI to my Sony VPL-HS10 projector over DVI-D at HDTV resolutions (1366x768, 1280x720, etc)

The 9500 is not HDCP compliant, as far as I know.

Hey pax you might want to check out the Momitsu DVD-V880.

AFAIK Its the only player available right now that can output both 1080i and 720p over component.

Check a review from keohi here.

Check a review from Hivizone here.

AVSForum Discussion here.

Be sure to search around though as there are tons of mixed opinions on the PQ of the upconversion.

Just an FYI.

Back