HTPC/Home Theater Wireless Surround Sound

I didn't know if I should put this here, or in the HTPC thread, so feel free to move it if it would be better suited elsewhere.

I've recently undergone quite a juggling of computer systems from room to room (for reasons that aren't really relevant), and have decided to move my HTPC back to the living room and use it once again as a HTPC.

My main problem is, I can't have wires running across the middle of the room due to the setup of the tv/couch/doorway/etc... This prevents me from truly enjoying the home theater experience, despite my 52 inch samsung HDTV. I want surround sound! The pictures great, the audio is lacking.

I said all that to ask this.. has anybody tried the recent offerings of wireless surround sound receivers/transmitters/speakers?

I'm not looking for a "True" wireless solution. The speakers can be plugged into an AC outlet. That's fine. I just don't want to run speaker cable all the way across the room.

I know Logitech makes a setup (and I'm rather a fan of their products in general), but at $499, it seems a bit steep.

I'm a cheap audiophile, ok?

If I'm going to spend $499 to essentially get two rear channels, I'll probably just stick with the DSP wanna be kinda sounds like but not really surround sound that comes with the TV and buy a 360.

I remember pricing them out a few Xmas ago when we got our plasma, and as I recall anything having to do with wireless speakers was just insanely expensive. :???:

I was hoping that had changed by now, sounds like it hasn't much. :(

I have a wireless transmitter from Kenwood.
http://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-RFU-6100-Wireless-Surround-Speakers/dp/B000278KJE

The quality isn't great, but it's better than having no rear speakers. I use them whenever my TV and Xbox 360 are on. If my put my ear right next to the speakers I hear some noise, but I never notice the noise when sitting on the couch. I don't know how they perform on music as I haven't listened to much through them.

The bottom line is a high end audiophile won't like them, but they work for the average consumer.

Thanks for the responses, wow.. even got one from Digi.. too damn funny.

Anyway, I used to be an audiophile, I won IASCA a number of years ago so I know what great audio balancing and staging and imaging is supposed to be.

I'm not looking for that.

I'm just looking for a transmitter/receiver/speakers/combo of all of the above, that will provide decent quality sound to rear channel speakers without any sort of delay that will be apparent from front/rear and from audio/video.

I realize that the quality of the sound of the rear channels won't be the same as the quality from the front/center/sub because of the interference/encoding/delay/etc of the wireless connection to the speakers.

But I'm not running this as an exercise in what gives the perfect audio experience. More like.. what will provide some/most of the benefits of rear channel without speaker wires while at the same time certainly not providing any sort of distinctive delay from front to rear, because that is clearly unacceptable.

I'll look into that wireless transmitter from Kenwood... thanks, CG.. How much did it cost you, btw?

Back